X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8 vs Ubuntu 12.04

Which OS do you think would be accepted in a mainstream computing ,Windows 8 or Ubuntu 12.04? Which will be a good replacement for Japan legacy computers in small to large business?

Ubuntu 12.04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcklo...1&feature=plcp

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=07137

Windows 8
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13970_7...t-friendly-os/

http://windows8beta.com/windows-8-download
    Windows 8
    40.00%
    Ubuntu 12.04
    60.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by LinuxFun; 2012-03-02, 05:31 PM.

Originally posted by LinuxFun View Post
    Which OS do you think would be accepted in a mainstream computing ,Windows 8 or Ubuntu 12.04?
    Mainstream? The large majority of the world doesn't even know what Ubuntu is, and of those that do, only a certain percentage would know how to install it.

Mainstream has been decided for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
      Mainstream? The large majority of the world doesn't even know what Ubuntu is, and of those that do, only a certain percentage would know how to install it.

Mainstream has been decided for years.
      Have you ever installed Ubuntu before?

Comment

But of those, a large percentage would know how to uninstall it.

Comment

Originally posted by iago View Post
          But of those, a large percentage would know how to uninstall it.
          To install or un-install try Wubi or live-CD:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer

Comment

Have you ever installed Ubuntu before?
            No, but I have no doubt I could. I do a lot of work with 'nix systems, and I've installed OSes in the past. But that isn't my point whatsoever. I'm not talking about the ease of it, I'm talking about the fact that it's not even remotely close to mainstream, which was what your question specified.

The biggest problem a system like Ubuntu has to deal with is that for 99% of computer users, they buy a computer and the OS is already installed. All of their computer knowledge is based on working within the OS, and the idea of changing it is not something that they feel comfortable even considering.

Comment

No, but I have no doubt I could. I do a lot of work with 'nix systems, and I've installed OSes in the past. But that isn't my point whatsoever. I'm not talking about the ease of it, I'm talking about the fact that it's not even remotely close to mainstream, which was what your question specified.

The biggest problem a system like Ubuntu has to deal with is that for 99% of computer users, they buy a computer and the OS is already installed. All of their computer knowledge is based on working within the OS, and the idea of changing it is not something that they feel comfortable even considering.

Did you watch both video before you typed your comments? There is a lot of computer that run XP.

Comment

Did you watch both video before you typed your comments?
                I didn't watch either video.

There is a lot of computer that run XP.
                I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.

Again, you were asking which one would be accepted in mainstream computing. Mainstream computing is Windows, hands down. Ubuntu isn't even on the mainstream radar. Go ask 10 random people on the street whether they have heard of it or not. You may find one if you are lucky.

Now I'm not commenting whatsoever on the validity of Ubuntu as an OS - the people I know who use it like it and say it's good stuff. If I didn't use a Mac, I'd probably even consider it myself. But I'm not even remotely mainstream.

Comment

Ubuntu is for script kiddies. If you're not forking your own Debian distro then you're a n00b l0zr.

Comment

I didn't watch either video.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.

Again, you were asking which one would be accepted in mainstream computing. Mainstream computing is Windows, hands down. Ubuntu isn't even on the mainstream radar. Go ask 10 random people on the street whether they have heard of it or not. You may find one if you are lucky.

Now I'm not commenting whatsoever on the validity of Ubuntu as an OS - the people I know who use it like it and say it's good stuff. If I didn't use a Mac, I'd probably even consider it myself. But I'm not even remotely mainstream.
                    It is hard for me to described the OS by typing. It much easier to link a video. I strongly recommend using the links so you can better understand what I am saying.

As for as the use of mainstream, I am basically talking about the average user.
                    Last edited by LinuxFun; 2012-03-02, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iago View Post
                      Ubuntu is for script kiddies. If you're not forking your own Debian distro then you're a n00b l0zr.
                      Well, if you are really hardcore you might want to try LFS;

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

But, I won't open that can of warms, since this is for average computer users.

Comment

It is hard for me to described the OS by typing. It much easier to link a video. I strongly recommend using the links so you can better understand what I am saying.
                        You don't need to describe it - I've seen it in use. I don't deny that it's a decent system, and I even stated that if I were in the position, I'd consider using it. But you are asking about the average user, and the average user not only has no idea what Ubuntu is, they wouldn't know how to install it if they did know what it was. And if they took the time to research it, they would be too nervous to try installing it themselves, as most people don't want to mess with their OS, since if it goes wrong, they won't be able to use their computer at all.

This reminds me of the debate with you about needing a degree. You ask a question, and don't like the answer so you keep trying to hammer home some irrelevant point.

Let me say this clearly: It doesn't matter how good Ubuntu is, unless it starts shipping pre-installed with a large number of computers, it's never going to be mainstream. Windows already ships with large numbers of computers, and it's mainstream.

It's a fairly simple concept.

Comment

You don't need to describe it - I've seen it in use. I don't deny that it's a decent system, and I even stated that if I were in the position, I'd consider using it. But you are asking about the average user, and the average user not only has no idea what Ubuntu is, they wouldn't know how to install it if they did know what it was. And if they took the time to research it, they would be too nervous to try installing it themselves, as most people don't want to mess with their OS, since if it goes wrong, they won't be able to use their computer at all.

Let me say this clearly: It doesn't matter how good Ubuntu is, unless it starts shipping pre-installed with a large number of computers, it's never going to be mainstream. Windows already ships with large numbers of computers, and it's mainstream.

It's a fairly simple concept.
                          let me rephrase the question so we want have to think about corporation's behavior on a macroeconomic level

If you had a friend or a family member that has a 5 year computer but lost the Windows OS CD.
                          Would you tell you this person to :

A. buy a new computer.
                          B. Buy a new Windows OS(15,000-25,000 yen)
                          C. install Ubuntu 12.04

See that wasn't hard. ; )

Comment

Sure, it's not so hard when you change your original question to something completely different.

Anyways, if that happened to my family member, I'd probably just download a copy of windows for them and put it on their computer.

Comment

Sure, it's not so hard when you change your original question to something completely different.

Anyways, if that happened to my family member, I'd probably just download a copy of windows for them and put it on their computer.
                              Well that included the video, because I assumed that person is not aware of Ubuntu.

As for as helping you family member. Due you mean that you will buy a product key and us your own copy to install on the computer or download the Windows IOS file.

Comment

Working...
                              X