Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamada Denki 50,000円割引 for computers if you sign for WiMAX. Hmmm...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamada Denki 50,000円割引 for computers if you sign for WiMAX. Hmmm...

Hello GP faithful,

Haven't posted in ages, but I seek advice...

Yamada Denki is giving a 5 man discount on computers if you sign for a 2 year WiMAX contract. The MacBook Air 13.3" is down to about 106,000. So... my current (free) internet is about as fast as dial-up, and I'm moving to a new place soon and will be needing internet anyway. Having a WiMAX router to stuff in my briefcase will also save me money on my iPhone bill by not eating up so much data and being able to Skype more often than calling.

So 56,000 up front (plus a 2200 yen sign-up fee) to take home an Air.

Yodobashi is still 120k ish for the same computer, 5% points. Yamada is giving 13% points til the 9th. Haven't been to Bic.

Anyone with good/bad/neutral reviews of WiMAX? After my time in Hokkaido with Plala that only worked on odd number days, I think anything will make me happy.

If any of you guys know of better deals/discounts going on, please do share.

Cheers.

Anyone been to Sofmap lately? I guess that's the only place that might be able to compete with this specific deal...

Comment

Originally posted by CleverHaiku View Post
      Having a WiMAX router to stuff in my briefcase will also save me money on my iPhone bill by not eating up so much data and being able to Skype more often than calling.
      How does this make a difference? Can you get an iPhone without the unlimited use data plan?

Comment

dude why yamada denki or yodabashi. Waaaaaaaay too expensive. There are much cheaper places than that. Online for one.

Comment

Originally posted by hml View Post
          How does this make a difference? Can you get an iPhone without the unlimited use data plan?
          As far as I know the "White Plan" isn't unlimited... My bill fluctuates on how much I use apps and such, and I RARELY make calls. It just seems with WiMAX I'd be paying the base fee each month (unless I call a lot or text outside of SoftBank). But I could be wrong. I got my plan in 2009 and just extended it when I got the iPhone 4, so???

Comment

Originally posted by wernst View Post
            dude why yamada denki or yodabashi. Waaaaaaaay too expensive. There are much cheaper places than that. Online for one.
            Is 56,000 expensive for the 13.3 Air? I will absolutely be using the wimax, so I don't see the 5000 a month bill as necessarily paying for just the computer...

I'm sure I could find it for 8 man without a contract, but if I'll be using the plan... it just seems to be a pretty decent deal.

Comment

Check with Softmap as they have a good selection of Airs (used) for cheap.

Comment

I think WIMAX is good if you are in the city but outdoors.

I wonder how the real life experience is on this matter? does anyone have wimax that thy can recommend?

Comment

With stuf like wimax you will never get the speed they tell you. It is not possible due to interference etc etc, but mostly that the advertised speeds are theoretical speeds.

Better off getting that machine put together yourself. check out clevery.co.jp
                  They sell individual parts at very good rates. See what you can find. I recently put together a very nice I7 for about 60000 including a 2TB hardisk and am enjoying it greatly. They also sell ready made pcs geared towards gaming at very good rates.

Like they said above, screw the walk in shops like yamada and deodeo. They are a rip off.

Comment

As I understand, Clevery is Aum Shinrikyo affiliated, if you care about such things.

Comment

Originally posted by evilone View Post
                      As I understand, Clevery is Aum Shinrikyo affiliated, if you care about such things.
                      Could you elaborate on this understanding?

Comment

Originally posted by ericson View Post
                        Could you elaborate on this understanding?
                        Statements from too many people who didn't know each other (both japanese and non), including a couple of journalists.

There were 3 shops with Aum connections in Akihabara at one point, one of which seems to have been bought out by an unaffiliated company and one which is long gone and whose name I can't even remember.

Comment

Working...
                        X