possible DSL be metered?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible DSL be metered?

My host family has NTT + Biglobe. There is some concern my using the internet will increase their bill, but they aren't sure. The father was trying to tell me his email is unlimited usage and is a fixed rate per month, but the NTT portion may possibly vary according to usage, but he isn't. I agreed to pay any overage, and I want to ensure I won't get hit by a huge bill. So first of all, does that type of plan even exist?

Originally posted by pcrequest View Post
    My host family has NTT + Biglobe. There is some concern my using the internet will increase their bill, but they aren't sure. The father was trying to tell me his email is unlimited usage and is a fixed rate per month, but the NTT portion may possibly vary according to usage, but he isn't. I agreed to pay any overage, and I want to ensure I won't get hit by a huge bill. So first of all, does that type of plan even exist?
    Where you just born? Of course there is no such thing! Internet bill are always the same( It`S a fixed price). They just probably want you to spend time doing something else than spending all day tying up the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by BackDoor_Man View Post
      Where you just born? Of course there is no such thing! Internet bill are always the same( It`S a fixed price). They just probably want you to spend time doing something else than spending all day tying up the computer.
      LOL. Well, he got out the bill and showed me the 2 different charges, and he was worried his bill would increase. It's my own laptop by the way, but yes, I don't want to be on it all day. I wouldn't mind hearing others' opinions.

Comment

In Japan as what was mentioned before is generally internet installations are generally a flat rate for as much as you can use. Just take care not to upload more than 30gigs.

If it is a mobile based connection, the plan may be pay per packet transmitted.

Comment

How can I verify it's not mobile? I guess the connectivity device is in a room that's off limits to me. I know there is a strong wifi signal throughout the house. I'm connecting to it now. If I visit ipchicken.com I get FL1-111-197-104-222.stm.mesh.ad.jp (I changed some of the numbers, but maybe the host name will suggest the technology in play)

Comment

If you are running via wifi then don't worry about it. It is a monthly flat rate subscription. The average joes especially here in Japan will not be capable of setting up a mobile connection and route it through wifi. SO don't worry about what he said about unlimited for email, I believe maybe he just doesn't want you to download movies and stuff that he can get into trouble for.

The FL in the start looks like it might be FLETS. Just next time when you put down an ip adress, instead of changing the numbers put in an x as what you wrote down might still be a valid ip address for someone else.

Good luck

Comment

Their son called the ISP and it turns out it is metered.

Comment

The IP address is registered to Biglobe, the ISP.

Here is a description of NTT West's DSL services:

http://www.ntt-west.co.jp/service_gu...t/great03.html

None of them are "metered". But they may be throttled if you go over a certain amount of usage.

You could always get your own mobile hotspot and stay off their internet altogether if you want to avoid any potential future issues.

Chances are, after a couple months with no unexpected bills, this will become a non-issue.

Comment

Working...
                X