Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Module
Collapse

Having problem with GL01P LTE internet speed.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ran into another guy who picked up one of these 'new' LTE PocketWifi devices. It sounds like the same problems as the OP.

I'll stick with my GP01, it works and is fast enough for the purposes I need it for. If I couldn't use a VPN, that would completely useless to me.

I'll voice again the opinion, if you want to run torrents, get a physical connection to do that with.

Comment

I consider the sale of these 3/4G/LTE dongles as nothing less than a fraud. Whatever the rated speed of these devices, download speed will vary between dial-up and ISDN speeds until e-mobile et al. do some serious upgrades to their backhaul network.

They are selling you a fatter hose but the pond isn't any bigger.

Comment

Are those download speeds for mediafire when using a download manager or just a regular download box from your web browser?

--

Comment

Originally posted by pjb View Post
          I consider the sale of these 3/4G/LTE dongles as nothing less than a fraud. Whatever the rated speed of these devices, download speed will vary between dial-up and ISDN speeds until e-mobile et al. do some serious upgrades to their backhaul network.

"vary between dial-up and ISDN speeds". Same here.
          How can I manuall open ports on settings?
          didn't see anything like that. Just Firewall stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Matsuoka View Post
            "vary between dial-up and ISDN speeds". Same here.
            How can I manuall open ports on settings?
            didn't see anything like that. Just Firewall stuff.
            I haven't had much time to test things after you and I spoke in PM's.

However, I at least confirmed that with my GP01 emobile model, I can download torrents.

My configuration for the GP01 was:

- Firewall On
            - UPnP - Enabled

Using uTorrent, I was getting an average of 200 kB/s for a average torrent. It seemed to go up and down, but it was working.

You were trying to use skype, does that still not work at all?

Comment

GL01P users : namebench

There is a little application called namebench which helps you optimize your DNS settings. Just google "namebench" ("namebench mac osx" if you use a mac).
              Download it, run it (it takes about 10 mn) and write down the recommended servers.
              Then open the emobile web-page which enables you to configure your GL01P (something like http://xxx.xxx.x.x/html/indexfs.htm that you can find with the documentation of your device).
              Login (the password is "admin")
              Click your way through Settings/Firewall Settings/DHCP Settings.
              Change the Primary and Secondary DNS and Apply.
              The GL01P restarts.
              You're all set.
              In my case, namebench selected the Google DNS and my download speed went from 2.5 Mbps to 8 Mbps.
              What I don't know is whether I should also change the DNS settings at the computer level (that is in Network Preferences since i use a MacBook). If anyone knows about that. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Kobe652 View Post
                In my case, namebench selected the Google DNS and my download speed went from 2.5 Mbps to 8 Mbps.
                What I don't know is whether I should also change the DNS settings at the computer level (that is in Network Preferences since i use a MacBook). If anyone knows about that. Thanks.
                I'm sorry, but changing your DNS settings only improves the domain name resolution to an IP address. It's not going to necessarily increase your overall line speed. You may get quicker DNS look-ups but that's really about it. If your DNS resolution time is really bad, then yeah, I'd say change it.

Comment

Originally posted by pjb View Post

Note that if they sell you 4G, don't get it as no country in the world has 4G capability. They say it is 4G, but no network holds true with one of the RFC requirements of 100mbps connection speed while moving. The systems they call 4G is essentially a slightly faster 3G network.

Originally posted by ENF View Post

However, I at least confirmed that with my GP01 emobile model, I can download torrents.

- Firewall On
                  - UPnP - Enabled

Using uTorrent, I was getting an average of 200 kB/s for a average torrent. It seemed to go up and down, but it was working.

You should disable UpnP, for what you guys are doing, it is not required, many people don't secure their connection for outgoing uPnP traffick and can cause major security risks. The only time you want uPnP enabled is when you are running a media server and connecting DLNA devices like your TV so that the media server can stream to it. You won't do that through your dongle, so better to set the option to off.

Comment

Originally posted by ericson View Post
                    You should disable UpnP, for what you guys are doing, it is not required, many people don't secure their connection for outgoing uPnP traffick and can cause major security risks. The only time you want uPnP enabled is when you are running a media server and connecting DLNA devices like your TV so that the media server can stream to it. You won't do that through your dongle, so better to set the option to off.
                    uPNP is used for various things outside of media serving. You sound like you read that off of a Wiki entry. Anyway, UPnP isn't needed per se, it's just my configuration of what I use for my own requirements.

Nobody cares about the advertising vs. actual technical details, people just want it to work. IMHO, LTE just hasn't matured like 3G & HSPA+ networks have done. Someone else mentioned the 'pond' or the backhaul channels of the overall network infrastructure. I sincerely doubt that they've (any of the major providers in Japan) got enough of the fat piping to support those 'technically possible' speeds of the end-user equipment. Hell, NTT's network was brought to its knees more than once recently for supposed 'switching' problems.

Comment

- Firewall On
                      - UPnP - Enabled

Still slow as hell. Can't talk properly and video calls are almost impossible.

Comment

here are some of my configs:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/lteo.jpg/

Comment

I wonder if here I can do something about uTorrent: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/10/lte3.jpg/

Comment

That's the page you will want. You want to pick a port (above 60000 is your best bet), and forward that to the IP address your computer is running on. Then you will want to set utorrent to that port.

Comment

uPNP is used for various things outside of media serving. You sound like you read that off of a Wiki entry. Anyway, UPnP isn't needed per se, it's just my configuration of what I use for my own requirements.
                              Very true that it can do more, however, media sharing is the main use as I see it. True it allows device discovery etc, but in the end of the day even the lousiest cheapest crapy routers have services like DHCP and DNS forwarding resulting in the fact that for most applications, there is no requirement for uPNP to do device recognition to obtain ip information etc. These services especially on the mobile dongles will be handled by the service provider, and unfortunately for everything else good old windows still relies on its netbios service for discovery purposes. The only thing upnp does is create to much packets being broadcast over a network. Get a proper firewall up and check the logs. With 83% of the packets rejected by my firewall they are all coming from windows and it's fabulous media centre package. Really bogs down network performance if you have a large broadcast domain.

Don't get me wrong, there are many legit uses for it, however, at this stage, I still think it is a waste of resources to run the service unchecked and a security risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
                                That's the page you will want. You want to pick a port (above 60000 is your best bet), and forward that to the IP address your computer is running on. Then you will want to set utorrent to that port.
                                I'm a little noob so can you explain that to me?

Comment

Working...
                                X