Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hand over your Facebook username and password if you want a job!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand over your Facebook username and password if you want a job!!

What would you do if an employer said this to you?

Latest news from Naked Security (03/22/2012)

What would you do at a job interview if the interviewer requested your Facebook username and password?
    Read more here:
    http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012...d%252Bsecurity

That sucks! That would be like a Japanese employer asking you for your MIXI account.

Comment

In a different article on this topic, an interviewee who refused to give the information got the job and was told that they were "testing him" to see if he would easily give up sensitive information. I don't remember what the job was but it wasn't national security or a financial institution or anything like that. Sounds like, "Oh, just kidding, glad you didn't give us your personal information, haha!"

I love all the comments from people suggesting you deactivate your account or clean it up for interviews. That's not the issue, people. Your personal fb account is none of a goddamn employer's business and they have no right to see it.

EVERYONE should have their privacy settings so only friends can find them. That's just common sense....which is sadly lacking in the world today.

Comment

I uinderstand how you both feel about this and I agree but what about someone that really needs a job? Should they refuse? or should they follow the advice that is given in the article. Me I would tell an employer to suck a root, as I am independent as all get out, but not everyone is like me, except for maybe edin日本!

Comment

Originally posted by Seattlegirl View Post
          In a different article on this topic, an interviewee who refused to give the information got the job and was told that they were "testing him" to see if he would easily give up sensitive information. I don't remember what the job was but it wasn't national security or a financial institution or anything like that. Sounds like, "Oh, just kidding, glad you didn't give us your personal information, haha!"

I love all the comments from people suggesting you deactivate your account or clean it up for interviews. That's not the issue, people. Your personal fb account is none of a goddamn employer's business and they have no right to see it.

EVERYONE should have their privacy settings so only friends can find them. That's just common sense....which is sadly lacking in the world today.
          Not that that does much good because there are a number of exploits and hacks that will let you search fb and mine it's data for information. The hackers are always a step or two ahead of the curve where facebook security is concerned.

Comment

One more reason not to go on sharing caring Facefuk

Comment

Originally posted by edin日本 View Post
              Not that that does much good because there are a number of exploits and hacks that will let you search fb and mine it's data for information. The hackers are always a step or two ahead of the curve where facebook security is concerned.
              True, but it appears that the practice of asking for information has been mostly limited to a few sectors and is not widespread. Could be that with the exposure this is getting, potential employers will back off since it puts them in a very negative light. Most employers will have no interest in hiring anyone to hack and search prospective employees. It isn't worth the effort.

Comment

True, but it appears that the practice of asking for information has been mostly limited to a few sectors and is not widespread. Could be that with the exposure this is getting, potential employers will back off since it puts them in a very negative light. Most employers will have no interest in hiring anyone to hack and search prospective employees. It isn't worth the effort.
                What about hacking a former employee's account to remove nasty comments he made about his former employer? That's been done.

Comment

What about hacking a former employee's account to remove nasty comments he made about his former employer? That's been done.
                  That's a separate issue from the topic at hand, which is prospective employers asking for fb information during an interview.

Comment

That's a separate issue from the topic at hand, which is prospective employers asking for fb information during an interview.
                    Well it does seem to be only in the US at the moment. Maybe it's more of a concern for you than me.

Comment

Well it does seem to be only in the US at the moment. Maybe it's more of a concern for you than me.
                      I personally am not concerned as I do not anticipate being in an interview situation. It's certainly a concern in a broader sense as it's an invasion of privacy. But with all the f^cked up sh!t happening around me lately, it's pretty low on the scale.

Comment

You're almost there.

But for total common sense people should really refrain from posting their whole lives on the internet.

A. It's brain numbingly boring for others
                        B. It's dangerous.

Comment

There is a menu than enables you to request that farcebook download all your posts, pictures, likes, comments, anything associated with your ID.
                          You may be surprised just how much of your life is already on the interwebs...

Comment

Social networks are more social disease.

People lining up in their gullible millions to hand over their personal info to a rat-infested internet system.

Madness!!

Comment

By the way, I'm not really HarryHurry. I'm someone else.

(just in case any of said internet rats is watchin'...)

Comment

Working...
                              X