X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to avoid having a fax?

Printer/fax/scanner is broken; now looking for new printer and thinking maybe I dont need a fax.

I can always send a fax from a conveni if I dont have one at home. However, I'm wondering if there is any convenient way to *receive* a fax, without subscribing to efax.co.jp or similar (which is expensive for only 1 or 2 faxes a year) ? Skype doesn't do faxes. KDDi seem to charge about 1000yen a month.
    Last edited by minamon; 2012-03-28, 01:35 PM.

no answer, so I may as well answer myself....
    (might be of reference to someone else?)

I think I'll be able to avoid buying a new fax by using the old multifunction unit (with non-operating printer). It seems I can set it to write faxes to a memory card, rather than try to print. Then I'll put the memory card into computer and print from there. Problem solved (although I cant throw out the old multifunction unit.)
    Last edited by minamon; 2012-04-01, 02:55 PM.

Comment

If your computer has a modem it can receive and send faxes.

Comment

Originally posted by minamon View Post
        Printer/fax/scanner is broken; now looking for new printer and thinking maybe I dont need a fax.

I can always send a fax from a conveni if I dont have one at home. However, I'm wondering if there is any convenient way to *receive* a fax, without subscribing to efax.co.jp or similar (which is expensive for only 1 or 2 faxes a year) ? Skype doesn't do faxes. KDDi seem to charge about 1000yen a month.

Like Plats Stated: " If your computer has a modem it can receive and send faxes." . Now if your computer doesn`t have a modem, one can buy a USB modem (cost between 2-000 to 4,500 yen) which can be connected and then you can receive and send a fax, and there are free software applications for them.

Comment

What's a fax?? LOL
          Seriously though, you could just move into the 21st century and start using email.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.

Originally posted by Shakes Spear View Post
            What's a fax?? LOL
            Seriously though, you could just move into the 21st century and start using email.
            Yep.
            (I've been using email since 1984, so I think I can handle it. The problem is when someone else for some unspecified reason (cant scan, scared of computers, etc.) wants to send a fax.)

Comment

Originally posted by minamon View Post
              Yep.
              (I've been using email since 1984, so I think I can handle it. The problem is when someone else for some unspecified reason (cant scan, scared of computers, etc.) wants to send a fax.)
              I'd have them send it snail mail then. I don't know who might fall into the categories you mentioned, but even my and my wife's parents can handle email, and they still have blinking zeros on their VCRs.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakes Spear View Post
                What's a fax?? LOL
                It seems most of the 'talent' agencies notify the press through faxes of their stars comings and goings, marriages, affairs and divorces; just check the japantoday pages; as well as many small- and medium-sized businesses.

It may not be 21st century technology, but it's not a bad idea to be able to receive them...

Comment

Originally posted by trip_hop View Post
                  It seems most of the 'talent' agencies notify the press through faxes of their stars comings and goings, marriages, affairs and divorces; just check the japantoday pages; as well as many small- and medium-sized businesses.

It may not be 21st century technology, but it's not a bad idea to be able to receive them...
                  I suppose I should keep an 8-Track player and an 8 in. floppy disk drive handy too.

Comment

Working...
                  X