please help me get a phone plan!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help me get a phone plan!

so i have been living and working in japan since fed 2nd. i live in a company apt in saitama and have the address and company name on my gaijin card. i have spent the past 3 days frantically trying to get an iphone from softbank however it seems impossible. every time i try to set it up they tell me i cant sign up my plan without a credit card and of course the banks dont allow me to have a credit card because im a gaijin. im legally married to a japanese woman, work for a japanese company and live in a company apt. they told me if i bring my health insurance, bank book, hanko, gaijin card, cash card and 3 months of bills il be able to pay with my cash card. After gathering all the info and filling out all the paper work today i was told "Sorry, softbank says no gaijin. you can purchase the phone for 60,000 yen now and continue with a monthly plan but thats the best you can get." is it possible to somehow set up a normal softbank iphone account without a credit card? i want to be able to pay off my phone on a 2 year plan like they advertise if possible.

Originally posted by murfman713 View Post
    s is it possible to somehow set up a normal softbank iphone account without a credit card? i want to be able to pay off my phone on a 2 year plan like they advertise if possible.
    Why dont you get it in wife's name?

If all else fails go across the street to Docomo. Iphone's loss, IMO.

Comment

she lives in the states and i really want the phone in my name. id imagine docomo will pull the same ____ and id much rather have an iphone again. iv had issues with androids in the past and docomo is over priced.

Comment

she lives in the states and i really want the phone in my name. id imagine docomo will pull the same ____ and id much rather have an iphone again. iv had issues with androids in the past and docomo is over priced.
        Could try AU, pretty sure they have iphones, and they were much more accommodating to me for mobile internet than docomo and softbank.

Comment

Originally posted by TeRReT View Post
          Could try AU, pretty sure they have iphones, and they were much more accommodating to me for mobile internet than docomo and softbank.
          herd AU was much more expensive than softbank. will they allow me to set up an account with my current papper work and no credit card?

Comment

herd AU was much more expensive than softbank. will they allow me to set up an account with my current papper work and no credit card?
            I have no idea about the price, just know I was happier with their customer service.

When I was setting up my mobile internet, my fiancee who is native Japanese ended up doing it, all they needed was her credit card and license.

I was about to set it up in my name though, we only switched to her credit card to get points on her credit card.

At the time of contracting the modem, I did not yet have my immigration card. I had applied for it, so I had the paperwork for it, but they needed proof of my address, as did the bank and softbank prepaid phone. I got a miracle document from city hall, it required my fiancee asking for it, but they just gave me a document that stated my address which was my fiancee's parents house, it had my entire name, and then they gave it a city hall stamp. Worked for everything. I needed just that document, but an immigration card would suffice, as well as passport, and my bank passbook for payment.

As a sidenote, we were pleasantly surprised when we contracted it, and they promptly handed us a fresh 10,000 bill, apparently at the time new contracts got 10,000 yen back. Not sure if this still applies.

Comment

Originally posted by TeRReT View Post
              I have no idea about the price, just know I was happier with their customer service.

When I was setting up my mobile internet, my fiancee who is native Japanese ended up doing it, all they needed was her credit card and license.

I was about to set it up in my name though, we only switched to her credit card to get points on her credit card.

At the time of contracting the modem, I did not yet have my immigration card. I had applied for it, so I had the paperwork for it, but they needed proof of my address, as did the bank and softbank prepaid phone. I got a miracle document from city hall, it required my fiancee asking for it, but they just gave me a document that stated my address which was my fiancee's parents house, it had my entire name, and then they gave it a city hall stamp. Worked for everything. I needed just that document, but an immigration card would suffice, as well as passport, and my bank passbook for payment.

As a sidenote, we were pleasantly surprised when we contracted it, and they promptly handed us a fresh 10,000 bill, apparently at the time new contracts got 10,000 yen back. Not sure if this still applies.
              Get it from Au! They are better than Softbank, their network is a lot better, their service also. The do not ask for credit cards!

Comment

well au sounds good. i need to find out how much they charge. i really wanted soft bank because they seem incredibly cheap. im starting to think the only way to get a phone is to buy it up front and start the plan after that.

Comment

well au sounds good. i need to find out how much they charge. i really wanted soft bank because they seem incredibly cheap. im starting to think the only way to get a phone is to buy it up front and start the plan after that.
                  Au offers the 16Gb iPhone4s for 0 yen, and you can make monthly payments I am paying 7-8,000yen per month with their cheapest plan but of course I got some extras like "Apple care" etc.

Comment

Originally posted by BackDoor_Man View Post
                    Au offers the 16Gb iPhone4s for 0 yen, and you can make monthly payments I am paying 7-8,000yen per month with their cheapest plan but of course I got some extras like "Apple care" etc.
                    do you have unlimited data? how long is your contract? what did you need to sign up? credit card needed?

Comment

By the way, you can thank all of the flyjins for SoftBank's position. While it sucks, I can't say I blame them. Try AU.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakes Spear View Post
                        By the way, you can thank all of the flyjins for SoftBank's position. While it sucks, I can't say I blame them. Try AU.
                        That is a good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakes Spear View Post
                          Actually, they've been that way for a while. I tried to contract with them in 2008, but couldn't because I didn't have a credit card at the time--same problem as OP. I ended up going with Docomo in the end. When we come back in June we will probably go with AU because they're on par in terms of price with Softbank, and their customer service is much better.

Comment

Please help me get a mixi account!

Comment

do you have unlimited data? how long is your contract? what did you need to sign up? credit card needed?
                              Yes unlimited data, my contract is for 2 years, just my Gaijin card (I have PR), they never asked for a credit card.

Comment

Working...
                              X