X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win XP Japanese Lang support files for my eeePC 901

I've been Googling and reading through posts for quite some time now and can't quite figure out what I need to do to properly find, download, and install the Japanese language pack on my Windows XP netbook.

I know the simple way: Control Panel > Regional and Language Settings > Add Language > etc. ...

But, when I do that, I'm prompted to insert the Windows CD (that didn't come with my pc).
    Even if I did have the CD, it'd be pretty difficult to insert into the disc drive because it's a 9.5" netbook and, therefore, doesn't have one.
    My copy of Windows is the legitimate copy that came with my computer.

The problem is, I can't source the files necessary to properly install Japanese language support.

I went to the Microsoft website in search of them, but only came up with the files available for the Japanese version of Windows XP. I've got the English version.

Thanks for reading.
    Any insight would be appreciated.

-Itchy

Originally posted by itchykneeson View Post
    I've been Googling and reading through posts for quite some time now and can't quite figure out what I need to do to properly find, download, and install the Japanese language pack on my Windows XP netbook.

I know the simple way: Control Panel > Regional and Language Settings > Add Language > etc. ...

But, when I do that, I'm prompted to insert the Windows CD (that didn't come with my pc).
    Even if I did have the CD, it'd be pretty difficult to insert into the disc drive because it's a 9.5" netbook and, therefore, doesn't have one.
    My copy of Windows is the legitimate copy that came with my computer.

The problem is, I can't source the files necessary to properly install Japanese language support.

I went to the Microsoft website in search of them, but only came up with the files available for the Japanese version of Windows XP. I've got the English version.

Thanks for reading.
    Any insight would be appreciated.

-Itchy

You probably already have this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=22917

http://blog.greggman.com/blog/japane...on_windows_xp/

can create a pirate xp ISO , this would be difficult.

Another option would be to install a new OS:

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ubuntu

unfortunately since it is a proprietary software it is up to Microsoft to require you to have a copy of Windows to install .

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxFun View Post
      You probably already have this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=22917

http://blog.greggman.com/blog/japane...on_windows_xp/

can create a pirate xp ISO , this would be difficult.

Another option would be to install a new OS:

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ubuntu

unfortunately since it is a proprietary software it is up to Microsoft to require you to have a copy of Windows to install .
      Thanks for the reply.

You know, I've been toying with the idea of installing a linux-based OS on one of my hard drives or computers. My brother was using the netbook until he visited me a few weeks ago and handed it back over to me.

I have some reservations about doing such a thing as I'm not too experienced in pc building and/or programming. I've swapped out my processor on the machine I'm using, have replaced RAM on the netbook and some desktop towers, and taken almost every one of my computers apart at one point to clean them, but I'm afraid to attack full system reboots and programming.

How's the Japanese language support on the new Ubuntu release?
      How would my 2GB of memory and 1.6 GHz Atom processor handle the contemporary-looking GUI?
      How's the size on the hard disk compare to that of my watered-down version of XP SP3?

Isn't it possible to boot Ubuntu, or any OS for that matter, from a USB flash drive?
      (I'd be annoyed if I had a thumb-sized thumb drive poking out of the side/back of my hand-sized netbook.)
      Aren't there itty bitty flash drives that will suit my needs in this department?
      How much tinkering/programming does it take to run Ubuntu everyday?
      Is Ubuntu the most user friendly linux-based OS? It seems to be the biggest name in the game.
      How much do you have to pay to access the support line based in India? (jay kay)...(ZINGER!)

Thanks again,

Itchy

EDIT: Just found this teeny tiny 16GB USB drive for 1700yen, thankyouverymuch!

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B...A35I8LZM6OTLVS

**It appears to be ReadyBoost capable, based on the 3 reviews it's gotten.
      Gonna give Ubuntu a try. You convinced me. hahaha
      Last edited by itchykneeson; 2012-04-17, 01:34 AM. Reason: Crazy hot micro USB dive deal link!

Comment

Actually, I haven't seen the imejpn.exe file recently.
        And, now that you've posted it, I recall going through all of this hassle a few years ago when I got the computer.

I just tried d/l and installing it again, but it's telling me I need Office XP to complete the setup.
        I guess that makes sense because it's titled Microsoft Global IME for Office XP.
        What a pain this is...

Thank you, modern, mainstream computing.
        My life is so much smoother and stress free because of you.

Comment

Actually, I haven't seen the imejpn.exe file recently.
          And, now that you've posted it, I recall going through all of this hassle a few years ago when I got the computer.

I just tried d/l and installing it again, but it's telling me I need Office XP to complete the setup.
          I guess that makes sense because it's titled Microsoft Global IME for Office XP.
          What a pain this is...

Thank you, modern, mainstream computing.
          My life is so much smoother and stress free because of you.
          It imejpn.exe probably need the program (library) from the microsoft office CD. There is no way around that.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download
          Last edited by LinuxFun; 2012-04-17, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxFun View Post
            It imejpn.exe probably need the program (library) from the microsoft office CD. There is no way around that.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

Thanks.
            I love that you ended the comment with a link to the Ubuntu download.
            Especially after browsing through your argument in another thread about people with no technical experience switching to Linux from Windows.
            I'll be expecting my 16GB flash drive by the end of the week.

Comment

Thanks.
              I love that you ended the comment with a link to the Ubuntu download.
              Especially after browsing through your argument in another thread about people with no technical experience switching to Linux from Windows.
              I'll be expecting my 16GB flash drive by the end of the week.
              Hold off Ubuntu until the end of the month - a new version is about to be released. When you do obtain a copy, make sure it it the 32bit flavour. You'll need an internet connection to download all the language support files. Ubuntu has its own 'control panel', and you can tweak the settings from within that. Once the language files have been installed, you have to tell Ubuntu to load the keyboard IME (I forget how without an Ubuntu PC in front of me). After that you can just toggle between English and Japanese.

Your Windows software won't work, though, so forget about trying that!

Comment

Originally posted by pjb View Post
                Hold off Ubuntu until the end of the month - a new version is about to be released. When you do obtain a copy, make sure it it the 32bit flavour. You'll need an internet connection to download all the language support files. Ubuntu has its own 'control panel', and you can tweak the settings from within that. Once the language files have been installed, you have to tell Ubuntu to load the keyboard IME (I forget how without an Ubuntu PC in front of me). After that you can just toggle between English and Japanese.

Your Windows software won't work, though, so forget about trying that!
                Thanks, (wo?)man.
                I'm looking forward to trying out the freeware OS.
                I haven't had the time nor desire to fumble around with this kind of thing for years.
                Now that I've got a fairly hefty problem with my netbook, it seems like the time to try.
                Is there a way to cut WinXP from my C: drive and preserve it on a thumb drive?
                If I like Ubuntu, I'll probably make it the native OS on my netbook.

I'm sure I'll be able to find support on installing the Jpn language files.

Is there anything else about Ubuntu I should know before delving into it?
                How often is it updated?
                Is there a BSoD equivalent on Ubuntu?

Thanks again for all of the replies.

Comment

Is there a BSoD equivalent on Ubuntu?

Thanks again for all of the replies.
                  http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...6/bsod.6x.html

Comment

haha
                    That's all?
                    Ubuntu never crashes?