X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPv6

In about one month IPv6 will start all over the world, so I decided to test my computer http://test-ipv6.com/

The result informed me, that it is not ready, in spite of being new and Win7. They write that it is probably my IP that is not ready.....

Does someone already have a grip on that "problem"?

Originally posted by John Grey View Post
    In about one month IPv6 will start all over the world, so I decided to test my computer http://test-ipv6.com/

The result informed me, that it is not ready, in spite of being new and Win7. They write that it is probably my IP that is not ready.....

Does someone already have a grip on that "problem"?
    I had no problems at all, of course I am on a Mac. It automatically configured when I connected the computer to the router, also I am using KDDI. Go to your network settings and look for a setting labeled "Configure IPv6".

Comment

Win7 out of the box, comes with IPv6 enabled in DHCP mode, unless you mess with it.

If your ISP isn't providing IPv6 addresses, then the above site will say the tests failed.

OCN (my ISP) is providing IPv6 to those who really want it (http://www.ocn.ne.jp/ipv6/overv4/service/) and if you have this service enabled, IPv6 tests will pass.

I've not read what their long term roll-out plan is, but we're going to running dual-stack anyway for a few years to come, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by ENF View Post
        Win7 out of the box, comes with IPv6 enabled in DHCP mode, unless you mess with it.

If your ISP isn't providing IPv6 addresses, then the above site will say the tests failed.

OCN (my ISP) is providing IPv6 to those who really want it (http://www.ocn.ne.jp/ipv6/overv4/service/) and if you have this service enabled, IPv6 tests will pass.

I've not read what their long term roll-out plan is, but we're going to running dual-stack anyway for a few years to come, I think.
        When I go to "Local Area Connection Status" in Win7, it tells me:

IPv4 Connectivity: Internet
        IPv6 Connectivity: No Internet Access

However, when I go to "Details" it shows not only an IPv4 Address it also shows an IPv6 adress, a link-local IPv6 adress, an IPv6 Default Gateway, but no IPv6 DNS Server....

But the webpage you give lets me download the necessary programme, its on the right....?

Comment

You will actually be able to get IPv6 if you set your router to distribute it via DHCP. But why be bothered with it for now? It is still a major pain in the rear to manage the protocol properly and many tools including firewalls are not all playing very nicely with IPv6.

Another reason you may not see it is that your router is not capable of IPv6 or yet another is that your provider gives you IPv6 and your local lan only allows IPv4.

My suggestion is to just stop worrying and continue to use what you have right now. It won't change for a long time. Especially seeing that IPv6 is just starting to get out of it's dipers.

Comment

When I go to "Local Area Connection Status" in Win7, it tells me:

IPv4 Connectivity: Internet
            IPv6 Connectivity: No Internet Access

However, when I go to "Details" it shows not only an IPv4 Address it also shows an IPv6 adress, a link-local IPv6 adress, an IPv6 Default Gateway, but no IPv6 DNS Server....

But the webpage you give lets me download the necessary programme, its on the right....?
            What are the first 8 digits of the IPv6 address (global, not the link-local) that you are getting? And what type of service do you have, flets?

By default flet's have been providing a non-internet-connected "global" v6 address for use with IP TV set-top boxes for a couple years now. Its possible that nothing is wrong but you are not yet receiving a really internet-connected v6 address "yet".

Comment

Can IPv6 be used for the WAN and IPv4 be used for the LAN, or do they both have to be the same?

Comment

Originally posted by ericson View Post
                Another reason you may not see it is that your router is not capable of IPv6 or yet another is that your provider gives you IPv6 and your local lan only allows IPv4.

My suggestion is to just stop worrying and continue to use what you have right now. It won't change for a long time. Especially seeing that IPv6 is just starting to get out of it's dipers.
                Excellent point about the router compatibility.... not all routers have been updated to handle IPv6, that would be something to check into.

And the second point, yeah, it's not really something to worry about right now. They aren't just going to switch off IPv4 just like that... it will take long time before everything that's on IPv4 will be dually available on IPv6.

Comment

Originally posted by evilone View Post
                  What are the first 8 digits of the IPv6 address (global, not the link-local) that you are getting? And what type of service do you have, flets?

By default flet's have been providing a non-internet-connected "global" v6 address for use with IP TV set-top boxes for a couple years now. Its possible that nothing is wrong but you are not yet receiving a really internet-connected v6 address "yet".
                  IPv6 is 2001:c90:844c

and we have Hikari and flat.

Is the point of IPv6 not, that there are simply not enough IPv4 adresses? Which means that soon some can only have a IPv6?

I guess, I will wait until IPv6 actually starts being used, which will be in one month, and then check again and check with OCN......

Comment

Originally posted by ENF View Post
                    Excellent point about the router compatibility.... not all routers have been updated to handle IPv6, that would be something to check into.

And the second point, yeah, it's not really something to worry about right now. They aren't just going to switch off IPv4 just like that... it will take long time before everything that's on IPv4 will be dually available on IPv6.
                    You are right, It is probably the obvious to ask OCN about our present router...
                    But the question is not the switching off of IPv4. The point is that there are simply no longer enough IPv4 adresses for everybody, so others will soon ONLY have an IPv6 adress....

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
                      Can IPv6 be used for the WAN and IPv4 be used for the LAN, or do they both have to be the same?
                      Most definitely yes. This is in my theory is exactly how they will be rolling out IPv6 when it becomes main stream. I have done some tests using IPv6 doing exactly this, the traffic passes without a problem. The IPv4 will be encapsulated to get onto the wan again. The main issues at this stage is advanced filtering using iptables or pf where you will have to configure IPv6 and IPv4 firewalls and filtering rules separately. Other types of fiewalls or utms will most likely have the same sort of issues, but if you pay for expensive hardware, an interface may allow simultaneous configuration.

Comment

IPv6 is 2001:c90:844c

and we have Hikari and flat.

Is the point of IPv6 not, that there are simply not enough IPv4 adresses? Which means that soon some can only have a IPv6?

I guess, I will wait until IPv6 actually starts being used, which will be in one month, and then check again and check with OCN......
                        Believe this is an IPTV only address. Seems as though they are not giving you a globally routable prefix yet.

Your setup seems fine. Just need to wait until they start assigning you something routable. At some point they might push a firmware update at your router or ask you to do it.

What's going to most likely happen with v4 address starvation is that the ISPs will start adding a second layer of NAT (one at your home router and the other within the ISPs network). This is of course, not desirable, but really the only option at this point without v6-only. The carriers waited far too long (let the bean-counters control their plans) and its far to late for anything "optimal".
                        Last edited by evilone; 2012-05-03, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by evilone View Post
                          Believe this is an IPTV only address. Seems as though they are not giving you a globally routable prefix yet.

Your setup seems fine. Just need to wait until they start assigning you something routable. At some point they might push a firmware update at your router or ask you to do it.

What's going to most likely happen with v4 address starvation is that the ISPs will start adding a second layer of NAT (one at your home router and the other within the ISPs network). This is of course, not desirable, but really the only option at this point without v6-only. The carriers waited far too long (let the bean-counters control their plans) and its far to late for anything "optimal".
                          ....as could be expected, I suppose.....

Comment

Working...
                          X