Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Superstitions

just curious if anyone knows any info about this topic

wikipedia says something about a connection between some superstitions here in Japan and the Atomic Bomb, but have not found any other info on it

Dont know about connections with the A Bomb. But the stories of uokai are really amusing....especially about "kuchisakeonna".

I bought a very amusing book about the topic at Narita airport, written by a young American and his wife.

Comment

Originally posted by rainbowtokyo View Post
      Dont know about connections with the A Bomb. But the stories of uokai are really amusing....especially about "kuchisakeonna".

I bought a very amusing book about the topic at Narita airport, written by a young American and his wife.
      Yokai? yeah, i was looking for more stuff like "don't make eye contact with a crow or he will remember you" and, "if you pee on a worm, your _____ will get bigger", etc.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_superstitions

Comment

Originally posted by talibanana View Post

wikipedia says something about a connection between some superstitions here in Japan and the Atomic Bomb, but have not found any other info on it
          Would you care to highlight the 'connection between some superstitions here in Japan and the Atomic Bomb'...besides a link to wiki.

Comment

Indeed they do. They think it's bad luck to be anywhere near one when it explodes.

Comment

it is a well known fact that if you have an offspring with someone who has spent anytime at all in Hiroshima, that offspring will be a horrible mutant!

Comment

my apologies for not highlighting the part that said that

and thanks for the funny replies

my only guess now is that after the bombings, they felt a little unlucky - and then became paranoid which led to more wacky superstitions (esp. the ones dealing with death)

Comment

Yokai? yeah, i was looking for more stuff like "don't make eye contact with a crow or he will remember you" and, "if you pee on a worm, your _____ will get bigger", etc.
                  Crow's ability to remember faces has been scientifically proven. They remember who's naughty and nice to them. No joke.

As for sinep enlargement....well, nuff said.

Comment

Working...
                  X