X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JPT 1 through ??

So since I'm here for the long haul, I going to pursue JPT certification.
    Does anyone have any experience with this?

What is expected in terms of testing?
    How high do the levels go?
    What's a fair assessment of how long each of the levels take to build proficiency?

Any tips or general advice?

I passed the jlpt 3 about 2 years ago. I think everyone has at least jlpt 3 and maybe even 2.

Last year they changed the 4 level system and added a level making it 5. They told me I should do the N3 level but Im studying hard to get the N2 level at least.

A friend of mine did the jlpt 1 exam 8 times and failed them all so he decided to take a break heh.

What can I say? Find some books about the JLPT in bookstores, theres good material out there.

Does one need the JLPT certification? nah, but it looks good on a resume. If you can speak business Japanese then there is no need to proof you passed a JLPT.

Comment

Originally posted by wernst View Post
      I think everyone has at least jlpt 3 and maybe even 2.
      Can you elaborate?

Comment

Most gaijins if not all that I have met have AT LEAST an JLPT 3 level certificate.

Its "basic" Japanese level and ought to be lowest level test to take. JLPT 4 is a actually farce.

Comment

I passed Level 1 in 1997, it was the 4th time for me to sit it. I first sat it in 1993 and got 68%, which was 2% off the 70% pass rate. The test got harder for a few subsequent years, and even though I had increased my experience and studied I got a 66% and a 64% in the subsequent years. Nowadays they have a different grading system in place and probably has had various improvements made to it. I never sat level 4, 3 or 2, as I knew I could easily pass them.

So, there might be a magazine or website, etc., which can help you determine your level.

My rule of thumb was to never let 2 weeks pass without doing any study.

Comment

Originally posted by Since1990 View Post

My rule of thumb was to never let 2 weeks pass without doing any study.
            Amen! I have been slacking off a lot lately and already forgot how to write most of the kanji. need to have at least a 1 hour drill daily to keep things memorized, if you know kanji you know 50% of the language. My grammar is proper ____e though. no way I will pass N2 but ganbare

Comment

I passed the Lvl.1 JLPT in 2006.

Took me about 10 years from when I started to learn Japanese - but keep in mind that
              I did that only in my spare time while living and working here in Europe.

I'm not sure how that would translate into your schedule. I'd guess that your working
              hours are much longer... so you won't have much time memorizing Kanji and stuff - on the
              other hand you're basically surrounded by Japanese lingo whereever you go.

Yet... even a Lvl.1 JLPT doesn't make you a fluent speaker!
              I've continued to indulge myself in the lingo every now and then... doing some translation
              work, making some Kanji drills, chatting in Japanese until the wee hours during the one
              or other trip...
              In the end, I know that this still doesn't come close to fluency... (actually I consider myself
              to be merely a sophomore when it comes to English).

Regarding the positive side:
              People won't hold it against you if you show some dedication regarding the local speak!
              The better you get, the more you'll be able to blend in.

Dunno how to phrase it better but:

Ganbatte kudasai!

Comment

I also want to try JLPT level 3 this July. Am having my at least 2 hours benkyou everyday.

Wish me luck!

Comment

Originally posted by YokohamaTommy View Post
                  What's a fair assessment of how long each of the levels take to build proficiency?

Im currently studying one of the test books for N! (JLPT1) All I can say is there is a big leap between N1 and N2.

Once you get to that level you should have mastered your study techniques and do what you did before, just more of it.
                  Keep studying Kanji, keep learning new words. (The book Im using shows a lot of colloquialisms, synonyms, antonyms, commonly used Kanji, and common phrases, adjectives, giseigo (onomatopaeia) and giraigo (foreign words). N1 or JLPT1 requires you know Toyo Kanji and about 10,000 vocabulary.

Its like training to run a marathon, you wont learn it overnight due to the sheer volume but you have to be systematic and do a bit every day over a long period.

http://www.jlpt.jp/e/about/levelsummary.html

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                    Im currently studying one of the test books for N! (JLPT1) All I can say is there is a big leap between N1 and N2.

Once you get to that level you should have mastered your study techniques and do what you did before, just more of it.
                    Keep studying Kanji, keep learning new words. (The book Im using shows a lot of colloquialisms, synonyms, antonyms, commonly used Kanji, and common phrases, adjectives, giseigo (onomatopaeia) and giraigo (foreign words). N1 or JLPT1 requires you know Toyo Kanji and about 10,000 vocabulary.

Its like training to run a marathon, you wont learn it overnight due to the sheer volume but you have to be systematic and do a bit every day over a long period.

http://www.jlpt.jp/e/about/levelsummary.html
                    KB

Sounds useful. What book is it?

Comment

Originally posted by HarryHurry View Post
                      KB

Sounds useful. What book is it?

This one
                      Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-04-18, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post

Once you get to that level,,,l[/url]
                        If you have been in this country for as long as you have (45 years) and at your age (over 65) and you are still studying to master level 1 and get to level 2 where maybe you can cross the street un-attended, it's time to call it a game.

You are just running on fumes of Bengay.

Comment

Originally posted by guyjeen View Post
                          If you have been in this country for as long as you have (45 years) and at your age (over 65) and you are still studying to master level 1 and get to level 2 where maybe you can cross the street un-attended, it's time to call it a game.

You are just running on fumes of Bengay.
                          I passed Level 2 in 1990, didnt crack a text book for 20 years and am getting back into the study game. Thats 20 years of eating sleeping and breathing Japanese every time I walk out my door and trying to support 2 kids.

Been here 25 years not 45 and have had no practical reason to pass Level 1 as I don't particularly need it to get hired here.
                          Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-04-18, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by YokohamaTommy View Post
                            So since I'm here for the long haul, I going to pursue JPT certification.
                            Does anyone have any experience with this?

What is expected in terms of testing?
                            How high do the levels go?

Kanji in Context
                            Unicom JLPT series (grammar, vocab, listening, reading)
                            ALC Goukaku dekiru Practice Test

It used to be 4 levels. Level 2 was huge, had tons of stuff, so they broke it up and now JLPT does 5 levels. If I were you I'd go for the current level 2 or 3, depending on your current ability and the time until the next test. It's better to have a piece of paper to put on your resume than just having failed JLPT 1.

But as for 1, you should be able to read scholarly works and comprehend everything. Upper level grammar, words, etc. When I'm studying I read everything I can get my hands on, newspapers, internet articles on obscure topics, everything. Gotta get obscure vocab and usage into your head so that way when it does pop up on the test you've already learned it.

Comment

The new N1 is heavily weighted on reading. You'll need to be able to read lots of material in short periods of time and understand it. That's the biggest hurdle, I think. Listening comprehension is also more important than previously.

Comment

Working...
                              X