Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top

Collapse

Solid Japanese School in Yokohama Area?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Solid Japanese School in Yokohama Area?

    Does anyone have any direct experience of a rock-solid, Japanese language school in the greater Yokohama area? One that focuses equally on reading, writing and speaking?
    Any insight would be great from those of you who have gone thru it. I`m leaning `away` from Kumon because they don`t really emphasize the speaking so much, from what
    I`ve read on their site.

    Thanks.

  • #2
    Originally posted by frownsarefun View Post
    Does anyone have any direct experience of a rock-solid, Japanese language school in the greater Yokohama area? One that focuses equally on reading, writing and speaking?
    Any insight would be great from those of you who have gone thru it. I`m leaning `away` from Kumon because they don`t really emphasize the speaking so much, from what
    I`ve read on their site.

    Thanks.
    http://gogonihon.com/en/yokohama-___...-schools-learn

    think this is exactly what you're looking for. i freakin' love yokohama. way more than tokyo. =X!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by frownsarefun View Post
      Does anyone have any direct experience of a rock-solid, Japanese language school in the greater Yokohama area? One that focuses equally on reading, writing and speaking?
      Any insight would be great from those of you who have gone thru it. I`m leaning `away` from Kumon because they don`t really emphasize the speaking so much, from what
      I`ve read on their site.

      Thanks.
      This is generally regarded as the finest intensive Japanese language program there is (it is intended mainly to train scholars), and it is in Yokohama:

      http://www.stanford.edu/dept/IUC/

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Fred C. Dobbs View Post
        This is generally regarded as the finest intensive Japanese language program there is (it is intended mainly to train scholars), and it is in Yokohama:

        http://www.stanford.edu/dept/IUC/
        Currently, the Center admits up to 60 students who (1) are degree candidates at a university or college or college graduates who intend to enroll in a graduate program after completing Center training; (2) have demonstrated outstanding professional promise, as reflected by grades, recommendations, and statements of purpose; (3) have two years or more of college-level study of Japanese or the equivalent; and (4) have obtained an acceptable score on the Inter-University Center Japanese Proficiency Test.

        no wonder it's a good program. there are a lot of requirements to be admitted.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by WasedaChris View Post
          Currently, the Center admits up to 60 students who (1) are degree candidates at a university or college or college graduates who intend to enroll in a graduate program after completing Center training; (2) have demonstrated outstanding professional promise, as reflected by grades, recommendations, and statements of purpose; (3) have two years or more of college-level study of Japanese or the equivalent; and (4) have obtained an acceptable score on the Inter-University Center Japanese Proficiency Test.

          no wonder it's a good program. there are a lot of requirements to be admitted.
          Yes, that's true; it's for serious students, and it's pricey too. Though when I was there, the tuition was a bit less. I think it's USD 31,000 now (unless your university is a consortium member).

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Fred C. Dobbs View Post
            Yes, that's true; it's for serious students, and it's pricey too. Though when I was there, the tuition was a bit less. I think it's USD 31,000 now (unless your university is a consortium member).
            31,000 USD O_O! i guess you get what you pay for. lol

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by WasedaChris View Post
              http://gogonihon.com/en/yokohama-___...-schools-learn

              think this is exactly what you're looking for. i freakin' love yokohama. way more than tokyo. =X!


              this `would` be exactly what i`m looking for , but it only lists one school in yokohama - ha ha. thanks for the effort, well appreciated.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Fred C. Dobbs View Post
                This is generally regarded as the finest intensive Japanese language program there is (it is intended mainly to train scholars), and it is in Yokohama:

                http://www.stanford.edu/dept/IUC/


                thanks for the help. i`d say it`s a bit more than i would ever consider spending on any language course.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by frownsarefun View Post
                  this `would` be exactly what i`m looking for , but it only lists one school in yokohama - ha ha. thanks for the effort, well appreciated.
                  they actually always have more schools than what are listed so i'd try to contact them directly. best of luck in your search! sakuragicho is amazing and i'd love to live in yokohama again in the future. yokohama just feels like it has more.... space. lol

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    What is this "Yokohama" you speak of?
                    Some kind of fancy new curry?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X