X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never writing Kanji

Is it practical to become fluent in Japanese and never write a character of Kanji? I don't like writing

Originally posted by lennonix View Post
    Is it practical to become fluent in Japanese and never write a character of Kanji? I don't like writing

Possible, but inconvenient. Many (most?) Japanese 5-year-olds cannot write Kanji but are 'fluent'. However, as an adult, you will have to learn vocab without the assistance of knowing the Kanji (bit like learning Korean, I suppose). Kanji is actually helpful in learning and increasing your vocab. So I wouldn't advise on shying away from Kanji.

You said 'writing', do you also mean reading??

Comment

It would be like learning English without bothering to learn the alphabet or learning how to spell.

Comment

In terms you can understand:

It would be like claiming you are heterosexual but remain a virgin in a country of eager, randy females...

Comment

I speak Japanese, and I can't really write. I can type and read though. And I have spent time learning to write over the years, but I never keep it going for long enough, or writing enough things, to have any kind of great retention.

So yeah, it's possible. It would be better if you learned to write, but it's not essential. But if you don't know how to write, you will run into situations where it sucks that you cannot write, and ends up being a pain in the ___ (like when I was filling out my loan forms a couple of months back - it took me forever).

Comment

Not a problem at all. Then you can become just as fluent and have as much earning power as a five year old.

Comment

Working...
            X