Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

A: My wife died. B:I'm sorry って日本語でなんと言う?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A: My wife died. B:I'm sorry って日本語でなんと言う?

How does this sort of conversation transpire in Japanese? I guess its not a real apology in any sense, but more of a verbal expression of sympathy. Although it could be an apology for bringing up the topic, but in my experience I don't see that sense as the most common usage. Rather, it seems just a reflexive expression of sympathy, or what have you. I know the Japanese are a superstitious bunch, so maybe they generally avoid speaking of the dead, but I'm sure there exists at least one appropriate phrase that corresponds to what we say in English.

Originally posted by yooma View Post
    How does this sort of conversation transpire in Japanese? I guess its not a real apology in any sense, but more of a verbal expression of sympathy. Although it could be an apology for bringing up the topic, but in my experience I don't see that sense as the most common usage. Rather, it seems just a reflexive expression of sympathy, or what have you. I know the Japanese are a superstitious bunch, so maybe they generally avoid speaking of the dead, but I'm sure there exists at least one appropriate phrase that corresponds to what we say in English.
    ご愁傷様でございます (ごしゅうしょうさまでございます)

お悔やみ申し上げます (おくやみもうしあげます)

My condolences

Comment

たいへんですね would be enough

Or a simple がんばってね!

Comment

それは残念だね。 でも、星の数ほど女姓はいるんだか らね。

Comment

Originally posted by Genkii View Post
          たいへんですね would be enough

Or a simple がんばってね!
          No it wouldn't. Rei answered properly before you. Your post can be ignored.

Comment

たいへんですね would be enough

Or a simple がんばってね!
            No, never say that.

I tend to use "zannen" in my sentence rather than ご愁傷様 (gosyuusyou-sama).

Comment

たいへんですね would be enough

Or a simple がんばってね!
              douchebag.

disrespectful answer regarding the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by wernst View Post
                douchebag.

disrespectful answer regarding the subject.
                also shows that he can't speak Japanese properly, though he thinks he can.

Maybe the husband doesn't want to 頑張って、he wants his dead wife back.

Comment

Originally posted by Chromedome View Post
                  Right, you can always find another woman. This is almost as bad but not quite.

Not something you say to a grieving husband.

Comment

Originally posted by Chromedome View Post
                    Hee Hee. The Spirit of Kuma Chan smiles upon you, my son.

Originally posted by Since1990 View Post

I tend to use "zannen" in my sentence rather than ご愁傷様 (gosyuusyou-sama).
                    That is almost as flippant as Genkoid's idiotic response. Zannen is getting a parking ticket, or rain at a picnic.

Of course, I know you don't mean it in any such way.

Japanese is a ritual language: just follow the rules.

In which case, whatever Rei Rei wrote.

BTW, the insertion of idosyncracies into codified ritual exchanges is a sign of childishness, not individuality.

If you really were a fully developed individual, after all, you would respect the form, rather than F with it.

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane View Post
                      Hee Hee. The Spirit of Kuma Chan smiles upon you, my son.

That is almost as flippant as Genkoid's idiotic response. Zannen is getting a parking ticket, or rain at a picnic.

Of course, I know you don't mean it in any such way.

Japanese is a ritual language: just follow the rules.

In which case, whatever Rei Rei wrote.

BTW, the insertion of idosyncracies into codified ritual exchanges is a sign of childishness, not individuality.

If you really were a fully developed individual, after all, you would respect the form, rather than F with it.
                      Yeah, I know what you mean. Suppose it depends on who you're saying it to. I've seen Japanese people use zannen (but not just by saying "zannen!!"), but you wouldn't won't to say that in a letter.

Comment

I could see an obasan saying something along the lines of "本当に残念ですね", but it would probably come after they had already said the proper formalities.
                        Last edited by Effected After; 2012-06-20, 03:47 PM. Reason: used wrong word

Comment

たいへんですね would be enough

Or a simple がんばってね!
                          There's a time to be a smart-@ss troll with a wisecrack, and there's a time to shut your trap and leave the thread to serious answers only. It's too bad you don't know the difference.

Unhappily,
                          A.

Comment

Agree with what Rei said. You could add このたびは to ご愁傷様 or 心より to お悔やみ申し上げます as well. You could even combine them together as このたびはご愁傷様でございます。心よりお悔やみ 申し上げます。

However, to me, ご愁傷様でございます and お悔やみ申し上げます seem very formal and are something you'd probably only say or hear at a funeral or wake. They seem very ceremonial and distant sounding so you probably should be careful regarding when and where you use them.

Something so formal might not work as well around the office or in a more casual situation with somebody you know. Maybe it that case, it would be OK to just to keep things more simple (natural) by saying something like 本当に残念ですね, or 大変でしたね and then offer some kind words of encouragement such as 元気を出してください, 体にお気を付けてください or even perhaps even 頑張ってください. I guess it all depends on how close you are to the other person and how formal the setting is. Maybe a good thing to do would be to ask a Japanese friend or coworker what they would say in different situations.

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                            also shows that he can't speak Japanese properly, though he thinks he can.
                            Good one. Reminds me of this one from another thread.

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                            僕がわざわざ起きらせて、大変迷惑しました。誠にすみ ませんでした。翌日早く起きないといかないとわかるの で、反省します。
                            Now that one was pretty funny.
                            Last edited by Shimi; 2012-06-20, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimi View Post
                              Agree with what Rei said. You could add このたびは to ご愁傷様 or 心より to お悔やみ申し上げます as well. You could even combine them together as このたびはご愁傷様でございます。心よりお悔やみ 申し上げます。

However, to me, ご愁傷様でございます and お悔やみ申し上げます seem very formal and are something you'd probably only say or hear at a funeral or wake. They seem very ceremonial and distant sounding so you probably should be careful regarding when and where you use them.

Something so formal might not work as well around the office or in a more casual situation with somebody you know. Maybe it that case, it would be OK to just to keep things more simple (natural) by saying something like 本当に残念ですね, or 大変でしたね and then offer some kind words of encouragement such as 元気を出してください, 体にお気を付けてください or even perhaps even 頑張ってください. I guess it all depends on how close you are to the other person and how formal the setting is. Maybe a good thing to do would be to ask a Japanese friend or coworker what they would say in different situations.
                              Thanks for this post. These context-sensitive phrases seem viable (well at least as far as I know 日本語). Some questions I want to pose:
                              The word "ごめん": Can it be used, for example, as ”ごめんね” in this situation?
                              To drop the formality of ご愁傷様でございます could one say "愁傷様で" or something similiar?
                              The word "やっぱり": If "元気を出してね" was admissable, would "やっぱ元気を出してね" also be permissable?

Comment

Working...
                              X