X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it hard to meet and socialize with other foreig

I am thinking of coming to Japan to teach English.
    Naturally I am interested in Japan (especially designy stuff + culture) and want to emerse myself in it (meaning NOT rush off for McDonalds) but want to know realistically how hard is it to have a social life and meet other foreigners. As I don't yet speak Japanese I am worried the loneliness will drive me mental as it is one thing to not know anyone when you DO speak the language, but another when you DON'T. I don't know where I will be but hopefully somewhere through ECC near nature / mountains as I really want to get into snowboarding or skiing. Probably not Tokyo os Osaka. Maybe Nagano? Would like Sapporo but ECC doesn't have a school near there. Anyway am just asking for some realistic expectations of living there for a year as a 25 year old Australian girl.

Re: Is it hard to meet and socialize with other fo

You could visit www.metropolis.co.jp and post an ad in the 'Freinds & Interest' section there.

The biggest employer of foreigners in Japan happens to be language schools so you'll find others in similar situations.

Comment

Pretty easy, you have nothing to worry about.

Comment

In most of the larger towns and of course the cities, there are bars where the foreigners tend to congregate. Easy to find, and as the Japanese also know them, they are a good place to meet some "foreigner friendly" locals.

But like most things, it is up to you what you make of your life here.

Find your own balance, develop your own social circle, integrate with the Japanese and foreigners to your own comfort level, maintain your tolerance and understanding for a different culture, take your time to commit, and try not to use "back home" as a reference platform all the time. You'll be here!

Good luck, and enjoy yourself

Trip Hop

Comment

ok. Sounds good. Just needed some reassuring. From everything I have read and heard it sounds like it is definately worth taking a risk for.

One more question (for now), my priorities are:
          1. Travel / culture difference (obviously to J)
          2. Pay off $6000 Aus Visa debt,
          3. Meet people / have good experiences generally
          4. Be outdoorsy hopefully near snowboarding.

I am sort of set on ECC for various reasons, mostly least amount of hassle (want job lined up b4 go) and seem to be ok as far as big companies go eg not NOVA. With these factors in mind where do you guys out there suggest I go (if I have a choice)? I would like Tokyo but I doubt I could pay off debt which is priority #2 as expensive. This is right no? What is Nagano like? Where else do you suggest?

Comment

God help Japan if you are going to teach English there!

Comment

ummm... why?

Comment

If you need to ask and can not see the stack of grammar errors in your messages then I would feel sorry for your "students"!

Comment

Charming! For some bazaar reason I thought this forum was here to help people with any questions. I was unaware I was demonstrating my abillity to teach. Thank you for your criticism, I am sure you meant it constructively.

Comment

Well Jodi, for some "bazaar" reason I don't recommend learning English from you!

It's so sad that there are Gaijin with years of Japan experience who are trying to get back but can not get a job.

I am not an English teacher, never been one. Maybe I should try!

Comment

Well, Jodi's spelling and grammar are better than many of the teachers I have met here, and other posters on this forum.

But practically speaking, when you are writing on-line, sometimes in a rush to express yourself, watching your phone bill; it is easy to make spelling and grammar mistakes which you would probably never do when expressing yourself through another medium.

Alright, work off-line, take your time, spell check, cut and paste, are all possible solutions to the errors that arise, but the very nature of bulletin boards makes it cumbersome and time-consuming.

Give Jodi a chance, and let her enjoy her Japan experience.

Trip Hop Ms.

PS I always thought "gaikokujin" was the appropriate word for foreigners or aliens here - an "outside country person". Gaijin is perceived as slightly rude.

Comment

Thanks Trip Hop.

At the end of the day if I do go to Japan, at least there will be one more person there with an open mind and a positive attitude (perhaps not the best speller, granted) but NOT A COMPLETE AND UTTER @!#$. I dont really care about your little ego trip Sammy but since you are dishing out your little pearls of wisdom in such abundance, why don't you take the same amount of time to think of something positive? You never know, you might even find a smile creep onto that face of yours. Did anyone tell you they are contagious?

Comment

Jody We are laughing at your spelling & bad grammar because you want to be a English TEACHER.

And Ms. trip Hop this website is GAIJINPOT.COM
                          Not GAIKOKUJINPOT

so

Comment

Actually as you spell my name Jodi

Comment

Dear a fact

You want to be AN English teacher. I think is the correct grammar.

Look at yourself before you laugh at others!

And maybe you are right. The self-deprecating name Gaijinpot is appropriate, but I still prefer gaikokujin for general use. It is more polite.

Trip Hop Ms.

Comment

Working...
                              X