X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaijin "dating" scene

What is the dating scene like among Gaijin? Are a lot of them dating each other? Do most of them date the locals? And is anyone looking for more than just sex?!

Re: Gaijin "dating" scene

Gaijin dating Gaijin? How UNNATURAL!
    I feel ill...

Comment

"Old fashioned" must be the on-line equivalent of a dirty old man in a raincoat watching young boys and girls.

Who cares!

Comment

You might find a temporary girlfriend/boyfriend among the gaijin in Japan. I remember several colleagues who started dating one another, but whether the relationship lasted is another question. Dating among gaijin happens but from my own experience, I was much more interested in dating the locals (Japanese).

Comment

Why do you ask? Miss your sis?

Comment

It is my experience that gaijin men prefer japanese women, and for good reason. Japanese men also prefer japanese women for the same reasons. So, gaijin women, I guess you are SOL.

Comment

Thats right!

Comment

No wonder you had to get out of your country to get a date !!!!

If Japanese women date you they must be very DESPERATE.

When my husband and I lived in Japan I saw many gaijin-gaijin together.

I get the feeling there are just immature little boys on here just wishing it was true that if they go to Japan they will get some.

But...... my female Japanese friends...though very polite to the person, (that is one thing I love about the Japanese their not wanting to be involved in a bad scene) do know a loser when they spot one.

Comment

Really? I know so many Japanese who say, "Oh I think he's handsome," or, "She's so beautiful," when the person they're looking at would probably receive no more than cold shudders from other Westerners. But that's just my take on it

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris:

Yes I know many Japanese who are very kind that way.
                    But I also have some Japanese friends (female) who tell it like it is.

One time I was meeting a friend for lunch and she was late.
                    This was after I was back in the US and she was visiting, she told me she was walking to the restaurant and some man stopped her to talk and she had to tell him yes, she was happily married and finally and finally he left her alone. I said, well at least I hope he was good looking.
                    She said he was the Roppongi type.
                    I said what is that?
                    She said fat and bald, you know the kind that only look good in a dark bar when you are drunk !!

Comment

Well it's good to know. I've had to re-educate a few Japanese on their eye for attractive people

Comment

What gets me is the anger that Western women have on boards like these. Stereotypes fly, like "every Western guy who dates a Japanese" is a geek or a loser... It's pretty sad that jealousy leads to insults like that.

Comment

Yes, some people have a lot of anger. And no sense of humor.

Comment

Re-educate a few Japanese on their eye for attractive people?!!

How arrogant can you get! And I wonder what is your taste?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and despite all of your generalisations, "Japanese", "gaijin", "Western" or whatever, people are still individuals, and hold different concepts of what is beautiful or attractive.

Many countries not far from here hold that a larger, white-skinned woman is the epitomy of beauty, and frown at the lithe, dark-skinned women that many men not native to their countries drool over.

People are individuals.

Don't ever forget that.

Trip Hop Ms.

Comment

Yes, that's right... re-educate a few Japanese people on their eye for attractive people (Westerners). We had a mate that looked nothing like Brad Pitt and could never be confused as such, yet some Japanese bird still comments, "Oh, he looks like Brad Pitt!" I've had the "you look like a movie star" treatment as well, when it's absolute rubbish. It is more tied to the fact that a Japanese person who is insulated from real Western people gets a bit over excited when they meet a few and starts comparing them with the popular imagery they have in the head, ie. what they take from pop culture and media. Do you disagree with that or do you actually believe all us Western blokes look like Brad Pitt?

*Every* Western woman that I have heard a Japanese person has comment on has had the, "Oh she is so beautiful/cute/gorgeous," treatment. That doesn't add up, does it Trip-Hop? Most people are not externally beautiful/gorgeous/cute... most people are average Joes and Judies and get around just fine with their personalities/charisma.

When I used the word "re-educate", what did you think I ment? It certainly wasn't a classroom activity, it was more like a barrage of, "You've got to be kidding me!" responses. I assume that *gasp* stating my own conflicting opinion with someone else's is what you find to be arrogant? Sounds like you've been in Japan a bit long if that's really what you think. I still take it as a common liberty, ie. to express yourself, speak your mind etc. If you don't, that's too bad, but I'd bet you'd be a great bore in conversation if you were never willing to speak your mind. People disagree with each other, and I'm sorry, but I don't make it a habit of keeping my views, which may oppose someone else's, a secret (unless it's entirely inappropriate).

As to the rest of the message, who are you talking to? I certainly haven't made any big generalisations about Japanese/Westerners/gaijin. To generalise about the above would mean that I really had only heard a handful of Japanese people say such things. Well that isn't true. Bucketloads of them have the attitude (and conveyed it to me) that Western people are all beauties. I met one girl who said, "I don't like the look of Western men," which I found to be a highly individual opinion... hats off to her! Likewise to the girl Jenna was talking about.

What I don't understand about your post is why are you talking about "individual opinions" in the same breath as "what people's opinions are in x countries"? And yes, I'm well aware that different countries have different images of beauty (as do different generations of people), but most of the people I interacted with in Japan were *paying* me to learn about what I and other Westerners thought (that includes what we may perceive as attractive). Western culture does have fairly easy guidelines for what's hot and what's not (I'm not talking about the fashion industry by the way - skeletons with skin hanging off their bones are not every guy's fantasy). I generally agree with it and, therefore, I'll tell people the same.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X