X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Japanese women color blind?

One cannot help but keep hearing about this great attraction between Japanese women and western men. The opposite seems to be the case with western women and Japanese men.

'Western men' includes black western men. I suspect that black western men would identify with western women more with regards to how 'easy' it is to have a relationship with Japanese partners. Of course loads of black men do not have this 'problem' - for instance I have an interesting time when I go to hip-hop clubs; most Japanese girls there tend to really like black guys. Except that hip-hop / hip-hop type Japanese girls are not exactly my type - however I am trying to look at the broad picture. For instance 99 times out of a 100 personal ads from Japanese girls tend to somewhat include, 'I am looking for a caucasian'. Those that want to flame at me for having ever viewed such personal ads, be my guest; knock yourselves out.

I reckon the answer to the question above is, 'No, they are not colour blind'. No surprises there. Unfortunately, 'racism' is everywhere.

Does anybody have any views on this topic. Personal experiences? Experiences of friends? Do you disagree with my answer above?

Chairo

Re: Are Japanese women color blind?

Could you rephrase the question?

Comment

I can't disagree with what I don't understand.

First you suggest that J women are color blind (race color?). It is not clear what you mean.

Then, you say Black men have problems with J women akin to that of foreign women and Japanese men. No support for this, and in fact, you then do a 180 and state how much Black men succeed with J women.

What are you trying to say?

Comment

I guess what is kind of apparent to me - as a black man - is not necessarily so to others; I should have explained more clearly. The title itself is more rhetorical than anything else; the reason why I somewhat answered it myself. Yes, I do mean 'color' as in 'race color'.

What you call a 180 is not. I merely pointed out that the individual cases of western black men having successful relationships with Japanese women might not be replicated on a macroscopic level as much as with white western men and Japanese women.

Comment

What is this pseudo-scientific "macroscopic" level?
          Got any stats to prove your theory?

Comment

Part of my original posting states 'I suspect that black western men would identify with western women more with regards to how 'easy' it is to have a relationship with Japanese partners.' The emphasis on the word '...suspect ....'. What that translates to is that I am not sure of what the facts are with regards to this topic. Hence the reason why I posted this topic/question in the first place. I am not putting forth any theory.

'Micro- / macro-', as in what might be the case in,say, one or two places might not be what is really the case when we look at all of Japan. My English is not that good but I really do not think my posting - or at least the combined contents of the two before this one - was that difficult to understand. It would be nice to do away with pedantry.

Comment

Here's an anecdotal joke regarding my wife - she was accosted in Omiya station by a black man telling her "don' be shy, don' be shy" - when she said she had a boyfriend, he said "is he Western?". Stupidly she said yes, so he added "Is he black?"

We still joke about it and I do still sometimes say "Don' be shy, don' be shy ... ".

I remember being incredulous at how forward a Ghanaian student friend was with my Parisienne named Bertile. I was amazed not so much at how quickly his hands wandered as how well she responded. Oh, and thinking "Damn! Why doesn't that work for me?". There are cultural norms between black men and women which just don't sit well wish cultural norms in Japan.

So don't be surprised if the "forward and friendly" approach doesn't work ...

Comment

At the risk of stating the obvious and to say the very least 'racism' is unintelligent.

With regards to the appropriate manner with which men and women should go about trying to get to know each other, to generalise and suggest that black men tend to approach Japanese women in a crass manner as opposed to white men is racist.

I actually stopped going out with a white male friend of mine because he had this horrible habit of groping women in clubs. Plus he is married! To a Japanese woman actually. He used to tell me tales about his goings-on with women and they did have a rather predatory nature to them however it had not really clicked with me that clearly that the way this guy treated women was just not right. The last time we went out he complained about a white guy that was being too forward with a Japanese female friend we were with - rightly so, the other white guy was being rude and then with a straight face he goes on to tell me that a while back he got ejected from a club for groping a Japanese girl! He groped her and she just started screaming at him on the dance floor, imagine the embarrassment. We went on to a night club and he is doing the same thing to a few women. I am thinking what this guy does is disgusting. Plus his behaviour was really making me look bad. I remember him walking on to the dance floor,sidling up to this girl and placing his hand right on her bottom! That was it for me.

The point being. Does my experience with my white male friend make me assume that all white males are this rude and inappropriate with (Japanese) women. Of course not. To assume so is unintelligent and racist.

People like my white friend above come in all shapes,sizes,nationalities and races. You and your wife are not doing yourselves (and race relationship in general) any favours by using a few experience like the ones with the two black men (I would not want to hang with these two black men you mentioned) to generalise about black men.

That reminds me of another experience of mine. I know - he is not my friend - this black guy, he is a somewhat well known dj and has lived in Japan for some years. The few times I have been with him he comes across like he is the best thing since sliced bread especially when it comes to women. The last time I met him, we popped into a Macdonalds to get him a burger. He starts his usual annoying act and the next thing I know, while handing over his cash, he is actually caressing the hand of the girl selling him a burger! I see him now and head in the opposite direction. Are all black men like this? No!

You might find it hard to believe Bongo but I am a black guy that treats all women right.

Like I mentioned in my posting before this one it seems as if so many people just post to knock other people down. Does it really have to be that way?

Comment

Didn't say you treated Japanese women badly. Didn't say all black men do either. Cultural expectations tell us what is acceptable and unacceptable behaviour - just don't get it wrong like your friends, that's all.

I starting to see what you want this thread to turn into, and I'm err ... not going there.

Comment

What you claim you did not say is exactly what you strongly implied. This black man treats all women the way I expect to be treated AND understands English.

You wrote 'There are cultural norms between black men and women which just don't sit well wish (sic) Japanese norms'.

Bongo, I am black. You are white. The point being I know more about black affairs than you. I have news for you. It is not the norm for a black man to meet a black woman (or any other kind of woman for that matter) for the first time and to start placing his hands all over her.

Deny all you want.

The kind of stuff you posted is one of the reasons why racism survives. People read stuff like that and believe it.

'You know where I want the thread to go....'/'....I should not get it wrong like my friends ....', you do not know me and you think you are in a position to give me advice?

Bongo,I need advice from the likes of you like I need a bullet in the head.

If I wanted this thread to go where you suggested, my last response to your racist posting would not have been that polite.

I am absolutely done with this. If having the last word will make you feel better ..... be my guest.

Comment

Chairo, you come on this forum, pick a moniker which underlines your colour, create a thread which amounts to an open invitation to have a race related dispute and start talking dodgy science about "macro- and microscopic levels" (sic).

Well, we've got news for you.

In Japan, all westerners are foreigners - and true - it is probably the first taste caucasians have had of being called different (which is not a bad thing).

"For instance 99 times out of a 100 personal ads from Japanese girls tend to somewhat include, 'I am looking for a caucasian'. "

That's your opening post to this thread. That's not our problem. There are job ads which state "Native Japanese speaker only". We might gripe about it, because it's not fair BUT WE DON'T TAKE IT OUT ON OTHER PEOPLE. Do something about it rather than coming here and whingeing about the fact that Japanese women don't perceive you the way you want them to. Or because you can't get a girlfriend.

Grow up. Get over it. Move along there.

Comment

Chairo, that post was harsh, and I don't want to pick a fight.

Publicly making an issue out of a perceived injustice will often make you feel better - you can come to a (relatively) anonymous forum and get it off your chest. But it won't improve your situation and make the issue go away.

You're not looking to build a harem are you? For every 99 ads saying "caucasian only", consider the 1. And if they're not what you're looking for, you can always surprise the one you don't tell you're black! If she doesn't like what she sees, that's not racism but it is prejudiced ( = pre-judging) and .. well maybe life's a learning curve for that sorta gal! Want to genuinely improve your chances? Learn enough Japanese to hold a modest conversation.

All foreigner men are lazy, untidy, oversexed imbeciles to Japanese girls (and to quite a few Western ones too), so as singled out as you may feel Chairo, you really 'aint that special !

Comment

If you're not implying racism then why do you have to specify those people's color? There are 100's of guys that hit on my wife and it has NOTHING to do with color. Cultural differences my ass! Every guy would do what ever they can to pick up an attractive girl. Don't point any fingers at a particular race just because of one individual's actions.

Comment

Holy crap, what's with all the hostility?
                            I think you all just proved Chairo's point (that black men and western women can identify with eachother about the dating scene here).

I think the vast majority of Japanese women into foreigners have a very strong preferance for caucasions, and quite a few of them are downright racist. What's wrong with trying to discuss that on this board? Does he really deserve to be jumped all over?

Bongo, I've re-read your post a few times and I can't see any way that Chairo WOULDN'T be offended by it. Why did you mention those two black men?
                            I've been on the receiving end of some amazingly wierd, scary, bold and funny come-ons, from guys from all over. I would never ever ever use any of those experiences as examples of any particular culture. Especially here in Japan, where loneliness and culture shock can make people act quite differently from how they would back home.

Then you condescendingly go on to explain there are cultural norms unique to black men that don't go over well in Japan. What the hell do you know about black culture?

Then you assume that Chairo is exactly the same as those rude black men by advising him, again condescendingly, that the 'forward and friendly' approach is not the way to go.
                            What gave you the idea that he comes on strong? Certainly not anything he wrote. So where did the idea come from?

For your easy reference, here is your post again:

Here's an anecdotal joke regarding my wife - she was accosted in Omiya station by a black man telling her "don' be shy, don' be shy" - when she said she had a boyfriend, he said "is he Western?". Stupidly she said yes, so he added "Is he black?"

We still joke about it and I do still sometimes say "Don' be shy, don' be shy ... ".

I remember being incredulous at how forward a Ghanaian student friend was with my Parisienne named Bertile. I was amazed not so much at how quickly his hands wandered as how well she responded. Oh, and thinking "Damn! Why doesn't that work for me?". There are cultural norms between black men and women which just don't sit well wish cultural norms in Japan.

So don't be surprised if the "forward and friendly" approach doesn't work'

Comment

Glenski,
                              'First you suggest that J women are color blind (race color?). It is not clear what you mean.
                              Then, you say Black men have problems with J women akin to that of foreign women and Japanese men. No support for this, and in fact, you then do a 180 and state how much Black men succeed with J women.'
                              'What is this pseudo-scientific "macroscopic" level?
                              Got any stats to prove your theory?'

He didn't say that Black men have problems with J women akin to that of foreign women and Japanese men, he said he SUSPECTED it, then went on to ask for peoples views. Why would he need 'support' and 'stats' for this?

Do you honestly think there has been a study done on this and that all one has to do is conduct a quick internet search to find the proper statistics?
                              I understand that concret facts and statistics are helpful when someone is trying to prove something. But Chairo just posted a theory of his and then asked for input.
                              Demanding proof only stifles discussion.

Comment

Working...
                              X