X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do Gaijin women in Jp dress up like a member of Pearl Ja

OK ladies I know you are going to hit me like a cannonball on this one. But I need to know the answers to these questions.
    *Why do Gaijin women in Jp dress up like a member of Pearl Jam in the 90's.? Grunge is not in fasion, AX jeans maybe but I'm not seeing you wear them.
    *Why is the hair so nappy? I see one in ten that look like they actually know what a hair brush is, and I'm not talking about the girl that spends an hour or more making her hair look like she had two hours of great sex and ran for the train. I mean nappy.
    * Make-up, Where is it?
    I go to the states often and women there are taking care of the way they look.
    *Why did you give up trying to look good here? No one to impress?
    There are no trailer parks here. Why dress like ya live in one?!
    This is a personal opinion and damit I want some answers. "WHY?"
    Ladies if you would just put on a little you would look so much better than the locals.
    Disclaimer:
    If your part of the 10% of women I see that take pirde in looking good this thread isn't about you.
    Bombs away!!!!

Westan, cool your jets man! I want to hear from the ladies first.

Re: Why do Gaijin women in Jp dress up like a member of Pear

We are beautiful without make-up

Comment

okay before I let my speculations on this matter free reign, a few specifics please...

- Which age group in particular are you referring to?

- Which area's are referring to? Roppongi? Shibuya? the sticks?

- Do you usually see these haggard women during the daytime? at night?

- Are they anonymous wenches in the street? people you work with? seen at a supermarket?

The relevance of all this being that in the women's book of rules, there are times that you bother and times that you don't. So in order to verify that women here really just let themselves go as opposed to you just happening to see them in times that they have deemed are "dont bother", I require more detailed information.

Comment

"There are no trailer parks here. Why dress like ya live in one?!"

ROTFLMAO!!!

Comment

Because we are lazy?...
          My boyfriend is away, the chances of running into someone I know are one in a million and no matter how much time I spend in front of the mirror I am still going to be another weird looking gaijin for the majority of people here. So why bother?
          Plus, let me tell ya, being a good-looking gaijin woman in Japan ain't easy. I had one guy literally drop his jaw as he was looking at me. Some smile and try to make eye-contact. Turning around to get a better look of my front as they speed pass me is almost a norm.... The women examine you with just as much rigor.
          Sometimes you just want to blend with the environment and the "trailer" look is the simpliest way to do it. Back home, I'd think twice about it. Here - who cares!

AV

Post Edited (10-27-03 03:00)

Comment

Yes, well, there's a lot more that can be said about gaijin males. Why do all the ugly ones go over to Japan? Is it because they can't get a date in their own countires?

Just kidding.

Who knows why we dress like we do? And who says women don't like dressing like this?

Comment

"You can take the girl out of the trailer park but you can't take the trailerpark outta the girl"

Japanese girls do make a lot of effort, and keeping up must be hard work. Is it that Western gals can't be bothered? Or that Jgirls are spending every other moment checking how blinging they are?

Also, I think there's less of an audience. I get the impression that a lot of Western girls just give up hope of attracting men who are swarming around Jgirls in furry jackets and short skirts.

Comment

>Also, I think there's less of an audience. I get the impression that a lot of Western girls >just give up hope of attracting men who are swarming around Jgirls in furry jackets and >short skirts.

Are you talking about Gaijin guys? Ha! Who needs them here

Comment

I dont know if I can answer that question...because I myself always tried to look nice while in Japan. I felt out of place if I didnt. Ive often wondered why women back home dont dress up more....but I guess the thing is that a lot of Japanese women really dress up. I mean, its skirts and high heals all the time. I kinda like that...and I do that a lot now, even though Im in the states. I get a lot of "you are always dressed up!" In my mind, I think, "I just lived in Japan too long!" (really it was less than a year!) Anyway, I wanted to dress up in Japan so I would blend in more....if thats possible.

However, the realy point I want to make is, yes, maybe a lot of Gaijin women dont dress up....but how many gaijin men did I see that I thought looked real fine? None that come to mind. Why not? I dont know. Maybe that is why Im attracted to Japanese men. You gaijin men say their women look better, I say so do their men!

Comment

Gaijinmale,

Change social circles (if they let you in that is) and you'll see that NOT all gaijin women dress that way. Example: I boxed for 12yrs, and for the longest time I wondered why all athletes are uptight pricks that always talk about fighting. They don't. It was just that group of people. I fin. my master's at one of the top 5 universities in Japan & often wondered why Japanese students, and foreign exchange students are socially retarded nerds. Again, they're not, but hanging out w/ a particular group of people can lead you to think that everyone is that way. Change your surroundings and you'll find out how big the world really is.

Comment

I have to ask this question because it has not been raised. Who are you refering to when you say "gaijingirls"? Only white ones? Only Western ones? Would you know a Chinese, Korean, Thai girl? You should remember that Western gaijins are the minority here and the minority of "gaijin" in Japan. I see many women who are not Japanese who look like they take as much or more time to make up than the Japanese women do.

Comment

Gaijinmale,

I think Bongo made a very good point here:
                        'Japanese girls do make a lot of effort, and keeping up must be hard work. Is it that Western gals can't be bothered? Or that Jgirls are spending every other moment checking how blinging they are?'

It takes a LOT of effort to look as good as (most) Japanese girls. Researching the trends, buying a new wardrobe every season, visits to the este and hair salons, HOURS a day spent on hair, make-up and beauty routines.
                        This all takes time and money, and young women who live at home tend to have a lot of both. Gaijin women are usually here by themselves and are almost always too busy living to do all of that. You know, working, studying, cleaning, cooking and doing their own laundry (things many unmarried Japanese women seldom do), not to mention getting over culture shock and having to learn how to do everything in a new way. We also came over here with only a suitcase full of clothes and really can't afford to buy lots of new stuff. If we do have the money and time to shop finding things that fit can be a huge problem. And as our beauty products run out, it can be really really hard to find replacements here. The colours and formulas are all different!
                        So sometimes even if we WANT to look great we simply can't.

And then of course a lot of western women just don't care about looking good as much as Japanese women. I DO put effort into my appearance (with success, hopefully), but only up to a certain point. I don't make it my obsession. If I had two hours to spare I would much rather spend it reading a good book or cooking a fabulous meal for my husband than shopping or being fussed over in a salon.

And finally, I think a lot of western women do just give up, and it's understandable. No matter much we try, most of us will never be as petite, as cute, or as fashionable as we perceive Japanese women to be. I'm tall, and by no means overweight, but when I'm surrounded by gorgeous, graceful slender little beauties dressed to the nines, I can't help but feel big, fat, clumsy and dasai. Logicly, I know I'm not (and I've never felt like this back home), but I can't help feeling like that sometimes.
                        So it's no surprise at all that some women just give up. Why even try, when it's totally futile?

Anyway, you should be a bit more understanding of how much effort women put into looking good. You should appreciate us (both western AND Japanese women) more!

PS, what are AX jeans and why should I be wearing them?

Comment

The other factor is cost. The Japanese girls have the time and more importantly the cash to do all of the things smallwrold said with the salons etc.

Ask how many of those Japanese girls are living on their own, most aren't.
                          Who paid for university? Parents
                          How much do they save per month ? 0 or very close to it.

Interesting research project for someone.

I want to do my MA in Japanese society and culture

Comment

Thank you smallworld. Now we know why Gaijin chicks look so trashy. And you've all got great excuses!

So you'll understand when we share our lolipops with the dressed up girls!

Comment

EW, you're harsh but fair.

Jgirl is a look. Gaijingirl is a state of mind.

Maybe Jgirls don't do the gaijingirl state of mind and Gaijingirls don't do the jgirl look.

Comment

Working...
                              X