X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meeting foreign women in Tokyo?

Hello, I was reading a recent copy of Tokyo Notice Board and there was an opinion piece that basically asked us guys to stop wasting our time and money at hostess bars and strip club and to spend our efforts on trying to meet "real" women instead (they suggested cafes I think). So I think to myself "OK, that sounds like a great idea." If only it were that easy. I've lived in Tokyo for almost 4 years now and can count on one hand the number of foreign women I've talked too. So although the article was a good critique, how is a nice guy in Tokyo supposed to meet nice foreign women anyways? Seriously.

Re: Meeting foreign women in Tokyo?

church
    introduction through friends (or even omiai)
    join a health club
    date a co-worker

I mean, what would you do back in your home country? The answer is the same.

Comment

基本的、六本木に行ってもの外国人の女の人はストリッ パーやホステスじゃなくて、普通の英語教師でしょう。だか ら、外国人と会いたいなら、六本木でも機会が多いかも しれない。

It's alright to post in Japanese isn't it?

Comment

Sure, it's all right. Just a little hard for people whose Japanese isn't so good to decipher. However, I believe you're pointing out that not all foreign women in Roppongi work in strip clubs or bars, or am I getting this backwards? That there are plenty of women to meet there. I have trouble with the grammer.

Of course, as I've pointed out before, I'm a single foreign woman. But I'm also a thirty-six year old woman living out in a small town near Utsunomiya, who owns cats, gerbils and a dog. Also I'm involved in Animal Rescue, and sometimes it seems that I teach all the time. So I don't meet people, either!

Comment

Well I hope they don`t go to the sort of ``health clubs `` you go to ,you perv.

Comment

Hello Glenski,

Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortuantely I usually don't do any of these things (which is probably why I'm alone in Tokyo). To take them one by one:

church - Well I'm not particularly an organized church kind of guy and I think that you should go to church because of your beliefs. I think its kind of disrespectful to go just to meet people. Its just not right for me.

introduction through friends (or even omiai) - Unfortunately many of my friends just have guy friends or friends who are just not available. I have yet to have a freind of mine try and set me up on a date (I think I might actually like it).

join a health club - Well in my particular case I'm handicapped. I've tried to join a few health clubs in my area (to exercise -- meeting people would just be a side benefit -- but they don't take handicapped clients. Plus I haven't seen many foreign women in the clubs while I was there.

date a co-worker - I don't date people from work.

I do appreciate the feedback though. Any nice foriegn girls reading this who might like to meet a nice guy??

Sincerely,

-- Michael.

Comment

Hello Bongo,

Thanks for your email. Had to run it through babelfish but I think basically you are suggesting that it is possible to meet some nice foreign woman in Roppongi.

I've been to Roppongi a few times (with friends and by myself) and haven't met anyone yet. Sure I have met a few (usually drunk) Japanese girls there but that's not really what I, personally, am interested in. And I'm not really into the bar and/or meat market scene myself.

-- Michael.

Comment

Hi Gerbilcat,

Thanks for the email. I was rather impressed by your attempt at translation. I was lazy and used babelfish. ;-) I certainly can relate to being isolated in the countryside. I spent a year in Kurashiki. Didn't have any pets though. ;-) But I find it just as isolated in Tokyo, if not more so. At least when I was in the countryside I knew a few of the other English teachers. Here in Tokyo I know my coworkers but they all live far away and so we can't really socialize. There are more foreigners here but usually you get get the cold shoulder on the street.

-- Michael.

Comment

hi...
                  as a gaijin here in tokyo for almost two years... i tried to meet also other gaijin men thru ad in metropolis or tokyo notice board but most of the men ive met are so vulgar and they only like to have sex!!! since i cant speak nihonggo i thought making friends with gaijin like me can help me to enjoy my stay here in japan...
                  so.. any nice guys outhere who want to meet a nice and friendly asian lady???

its me,
                  weena
                  morimoto wrote:

> Hi Gerbilcat,
                  >
                  > Thanks for the email. I was rather impressed by your attempt
                  > at translation. I was lazy and used babelfish. ;-) I
                  > certainly can relate to being isolated in the countryside. I
                  > spent a year in Kurashiki. Didn't have any pets though. ;-)
                  > But I find it just as isolated in Tokyo, if not more so. At
                  > least when I was in the countryside I knew a few of the other
                  > English teachers. Here in Tokyo I know my coworkers but they
                  > all live far away and so we can't really socialize. There are
                  > more foreigners here but usually you get get the cold shoulder
                  > on the street.
                  >
                  > -- Michael.

Comment

Oh, sorry, I thought you were Japanese, morimoto.

I wrote that it's not just strippers and hostess foreign women in Roppongi - there are plenty of English teachers there too!

Comment

Gaijinlady, we might go out for coffee one day, for now, I just wanna clear my JLPT2 first

Gerbil, I am kinda looking for potential jobs that can provide me with a visa from next year on, so on reading your mini portfolio, I am kinda wondering, what kinda visa are you on, and is it possible for me to apply for a similar visa (As long as it`s not a spouse visa :P)?

I am still at a total loss on finding a sponsored-job in Japan, and I ain`t have a proper resume made too.. sigh, gonna find ways to get one done (with photo too)

Comment

I lived in Japan, Chiba and met some women through Metropolis. I am happy to have done it, as it got me out on weekends and since my low-paying, gloomy, stressful IT job was so taxing and everyone at work married or lived too far from me, it was one of the few chances I had to make friends. In the end, I didn't meet Mrs. Right -- a lot of the girls were oddballs, but I guess I am too.
                        I've never had the guts to just pick someone up in a grocery store, but I think that's as good as typing away, hoping the person you're meeting online is really a woman...
                        I' think the first step in meeting women is meeting men. You've got to have friends to go out with. I've never met, well almost never, a woman by going out to a bar etc. all by myself... But tif I go with a friend or two, I'm smiling, happy and l'm a lot less intimidating to women. With a little dutch courage, I'll even talk to one of 'em.
                        So take it from me, drink a whiskey drink, drink a vodka drink, then ask your next door neighbor, "Let's go to a bar" and while you're there, talking about kerosene heaters and no more ____roaches because winter's coming, smile at someone and see what happens!
                        Good luck to you!

Comment

It is not very often you get a nice ,truthful ,funny ,interesting ,heartwarming letter ,thanks for

keeping up the trend .

only kidding pal ,
                          more common ense in that letter than the houses of parliament ,
                          plus it didn`t make me vomit.

Comment

dear mahou...
                            lets be friend email me thru my mobile weena@t.vodafone.ne.jp

Comment

Gaijinlady, thanks for the addie!

Is it ok for you to just put up your address on the forum though?
                              (I was thinking about junk mails...)

Comment

Working...
                              X