X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deaf Japanese

Does anyone here have any deaf Japanese friends? Where do you find them?

I'm watching this drama about this deaf japanese girl and have been sort of inspired to meet some deaf japanese people(whenever I make it to Japan). I'd like to learn Japanese Sign Language.

Thanks.

Re: Deaf Japanese

JSL is a lot different from ASL. I have been taking ASL classes with Deaf Japanese students, and it's quite interesting.

JASS is a non-profit organization in Tokyo (Iidabashi station) that teaches ASL, but you also get a chance to get involved with the Japanese Deaf Community. Really a lot of fun - check it out here:

http://members.aol.com/JASSJP/contents/class_e.html

Comment

My girlfriend is deaf. There is a school for the deaf in Hurtsuka south of Tokyo. I am studying JSL now. It's fun I wish I did this sooner. I want to become a translator for English to Japanese for the deaf. I find is easier to learn than the Japanese language.

Comment

Now that I'm studying it I see it more often. Just as Japanese are about everything...they tend to compress the gestures in public. Not to much hand swinging. Even looking to see if they are annoying anyone. I say who cares! Your handicaped, you have a right to express yourself. Those drunk businessmen on the evening train sure do.

Comment

ASL NVS are much different than JSL NVS (or CL). For example, I took a class that was much more advanced verbally than I was, but my NVS were far far more advanced than them in terms of facial expressions. JSL uses more mouth shapes than face shapes, and you'll hear a lot of clicking and smacking coming from them. Really distracting for me who learned ASL without any sound effects.

I have found the JSL speakers know about as much ASL as an Japanese native would know English. A few terms. "Nice to meet you?" "where are you from?" etc. But the people I took ASL classes with had a bigger ASL vocab than mine.

Also, Deaf people, at least in North America, do not consider being Deaf a handicap - rather they consider themselves a lingustic minority with its own culture. It's really interesting and the best way to learn is to get involved in cultural events!

Comment

*Hoshi no kinkan* i guess

Comment

I am deaf myself and I would be interested in meeting other Deaf Japanese people in Japan too when I go back this spring. I was in Japan for 2 months last year during the summer. I did manage to glance and catch two Japanese guys using JSL to communicate.

Sanosuke!
              Return to Japan - Spring 2004 (Australia/Singapore)

Comment

Hi hi everybody

After so much searching the website, I manage to find this forum. I am not sure whether all of you who have replied to this forum are deaf. Basically I am Singaporean deaf. I am currently learning Japanese written and spoken language and will be going to Japan soon next month

I would say that it is interesting to know some Japanese deaf culture and even play with my thought of possibility to work as deaf teacher to teach english in Japan.

Would anyone help to share any information on deaf culture, pls? Or even share the contacts of any Japanese deafs over there?

And also anyone knows any website which is frequently visited by Japanese deaf or any deaf institutions in Japan?

Really appreciate that you could take a little time to share the information with me. Thanks a lot !!

Adrian from Singapore

Comment

A Japanese hearing friend of mine in the UK is currently learning British sign language and was able to arrange for a small group of deaf Japanese to come to England on holiday.
                  They came with a JSL/English translator- Mr. Kabeta of the Nippon Travel Agency.
                  However, it sadly seems that they might not be able to organise such a tour again- the conditions had to be just right for it to be financially viable.

Such a shame!

I had fun hanging out with the kids, and even learnt a few signs -Damasu and Ecci being two of my favourites.

The kids also had a couple of nights home-stay, and although the hosts were a bit nervous at first, everything went smoothly.

Comment

I've met one Deaf girl here... and I was AMAZED! She was a phenomenal lip reader... she could read MY lips in Japanese, at least most of the time. When she couldn't, we wrote things down on a notepad... I don't know any JSL so I was really worried about communicating but her lip reading skills were unbelieveable. Is that fairly common? I've only met the one girl, but she amazed me!

Comment

Working...
                    X