X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice in making friends here

Is it very hard for a foreigner to make friends with Japanese if he can't speak much Japanese and lives in a suburb? He is my boyfriend and has like no close friends here.He's really nice, modest, sort of shy but very kind,and I think he is definitely the kind of people the Japanese likes.
    I really want him to have some good friends here so he won't feel as lonely. I feel so sorry for him....
    Any good advice??
    Thanks.

Re: Advice in making friends here

ILS wrote in another post:

"well...I'm female but I DO care about _____ size... I am just trying to hook up a cute guy who has a really big one(^.-) The bigger,the better MORE THAN ANYTHING!! At least that's how I think!!"

well..., seems to me that you have found in a few days a boyfriend with a big ch0n ch0n,,,,,congratulations !!!....but in life, problems never seem to have an end, neeee, now you want ALSO that this gaijin has many close friends.......

これからも がんばって ください。

Comment

Hmmm, I wish this post hadn't been co-opted. I'm really curious if anyone has good advice for ILS. This is also a concern for my husband and I who are moving to a Japanese suburb in August. I'll be working, but he won't have any way to meet people (for a while anyway). He's also fairly shy and has difficulty meeting new people.

If anyone has honest feedback on how they've made friends in Japan while still learning Japanese and only being able to discuss things like weather and the location of bathrooms, I'd also love to hear it.

Comment

Is ILS Japanese?

Comment

Hi there,
          This is the first time I have replied on this forum, so if it appears a little unformatted forgive me. I have found that most Japanese tend to appear shy to westerners because they normally have a difficult time talking to someone for the first time. I think it is just a difference in what is considered socially acceptable. Normally it is not polite to talk to strangers, so meeting new people can be hard even for Japanese. The exceptions to this rule are classes and social group activities. That is why so many Japanese study English classes, because it is acceptable to talk to foreigners. My recomendation would be for him to find something that he likes to do, such as a sport or a hobby, that might not require a lot of language skill to take part in. In most areas larger areas there are free Japanese lessons given by the community. I know in Osaka there are several places.
          Yoruko

Comment

Takai,

Is your real name Kasumi?

Comment

I will give an advice that I do not have the luxury to follow.

Go join a hobby/activity/volunteer club.
              Your town hall should have a listing of such clubs.

Once you are in, you are no longer a "stranger", and at least have an excuse to talk to other people.

Comment

>Is ILS Japanese?
                Yep I am! Is anything wrong with me being Japanese??

Post Edited (04-01-04 23:29)

Comment

No - nothing is wrong with you being japanese, of course. I just thought that since you were Japanese, you would know good ways for foreigners to meet Japanese people.

Anyway, I agree with the above suggestions. Tell him to join some club or something.

Comment

As long as he is getting laid, that's half the battle...lol

What more does a man really need??

Comment

Nice detective work, Takai... Well, ILS will get what's coming to her...
                      in many different ways... heh heh heh...

... or is ILS a HE?

Comment

Geez some of the gaijin guys here are so mean. I'm a high school girl and amd really disappotinted at how unhelpful you guys are to a young kid like me. Don't you feel ashamed of yourself saying all this to a kid? I thought a lot of gaijin people here are very kind and helpful but I guess not.

Comment

ILS,

You are a high school girl with a gaijin boyfriend?
                          Then I hope you are not too serious about the relationship, cause I don`t think it`s gonna last very long.

Why? Cause you`re still in High School.

Comment

ILS, are you really, I mean really a high school girl? Because you have pretty good english, and most high school kids I've met don't refer to themselves as "kid", or use shortened blasphemisms like 'Geez'

If you are, how did you get such good eigo? And if you really are, well, you're a bit of a sheep among the wolves on this forum. And if you're actually a 43 year-old FBI agent, then I'd like to meet up. Shall we say 5pm, nampa-bashi in Osaka?

" just thought that since you were Japanese, you would know good ways for foreigners to meet Japanese people"

Indeed. Surely you could introduce him to a few.

Comment

Well...How long is "long" ?? Would a year still seem short to you to be going out with somebody? I don't know your standard.....(-.- Why wouldn't it last long if I am in high school?

Comment

Working...
                              X