X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STDs (attitudes, rules, etc.)

What are the prevailing attitudes, norms, behaviors, precautions, etc. surrounding STD's in Japan?

If there is all this casual sex going on in the gaijin bars and clubs, etc, what are the rules about disclosing that you have a sexually transmitted disease to a potential partner (HPV or gonorrhea for example)?

How aware are people about STDs in general?

Re: STDs (attitudes, rules, etc.)

Sex education here is primitive, with the usual fights between parents/ schools/ professional counsellors; no-one wanting to be responsible, and of course high level of embarrassment. STDs in Japanese - very low level of awareness, though probably highest amongst gay community. Rules for disclosure - vague. High proportion of silent infections, only revealed accidentally. But if you read through this forum, you will also find foreigners who boast about bareback sex and non-use of any protection against both STDs or pregnancy.

Bottom line - it's up to you.

Comment

One thing I have noticed over the past 4 years...

Japanese girls will almost NEVER initiate, or even ask for, the use of a condom during intercourse. Without being too graphic, let's just say they "get right on the subject"...hahaha.

Maybe it comes from Japanese men not liking to use them? I have no idea why, but it's a bit odd in this day and age.

Comment

The `prevailing attitude` here is just plain scary. Condoms infrequently used, birth-control pills a rarity... Silence and ignorance about disease.

One of my students, a man in his late 30`s... seemingly intelligent.. and seemingly hetero, given his habit of hitting on girls at izakaya nights, said to me:

"I don`t want a gay teacher because I would catch AIDS."

Surforb, If you`ve got Papilloma, deal with it like you`d do at home. Get your warts removed and use a condom. You should disclose, as it`s a pretty high cervical cancer risk if women catch it, and condoms don`t always prevent transmission.. If you have gonorrhea, fix it. That`s still fixable, isn`t it?

I`d be more worried about what you can catch here than what you could pass on, if you use the regular precautions. The people here seem to love taking tests, but not for STDS...

Comment

Another common misconception is STDs (and AIDS in particular) can only be caught from foreigners, not from other Japanese.

Comment

STD's in Japan are accelerating exponentially because far too few people use protection.

Comment

My boyfriend always uses condoms. He initiates it, not me. He had them in the house before we ever started dating.

But it is because he can't afford to have a child right now. Thoughts of STDs never crossed his mind. They are protection against pregnancy for him. So, at least he is protecting himself, but only for half of the right reason.

Comment

Working...
              X