Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whatever happened to "live and let live"?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatever happened to "live and let live"?

I read a few posts on here and I was just wondering.. why do us foreigners always start to stereotype other foreigners? What`s the point? Does it just make other people here for other reasons feel better about themselves? Do people do it to distance themselves from others so as to not be stereotyped with them? Or have some people been stuck here so long they`ve turned bitter, cynical, and cranky? :/

In a discussion group at my school, one classmate commented that while he does see fellow country men together in groups, he doesn`t want to be around them because he doesn`t want to be seen in the way they are seen (ie personality, attitude, fashion, whatever etc.).

Do we all just end up doing this eventually? Do you see another foreigner on the street and you immediately stereotype them as to why they are here, what they are doing, etc. etc. Maybe it`s partly because the Japanese sterotype us so much, and it just rubs off?

I`m just curious about your opinions/theories/etc..........

Re: Whatever happened to

We are just pieces of carbon with an average 70 year lifespan, made from the stardust of the Universe this one of many Universes.

When people start to realise this the better.

ANd thos tattoo people thinking they are hard they make me laugh.

Who f***ing cares about skin colour or religion.

We're only here fro a VERY short TIME.

Ah thats better

Comment

Re: Whatever happened to "live and let live"?

I think its because so many of us here had such doofus loser lives at home that now that we are here, we need to feel ever so uncommon, and seen to be going ever so native, and due to our almost total lack of confidence, we feel the need to peg other people below us, simply to try and raise ourselves up. And I do believe that is a run on sentence.

I think you are right about it being a reflection of the Native tendency to sterotype us so much,. The reason it rubs off, however, is because every jerk-off who learns three words of Japanese seems to believe the Native Press when they tell her how good she is. In other words, sophomoric nativist identification tendencies.

There is hope however. Just say No to being a pathetically competitive Boobhead.

Having said that, I saw Charisma Man outside Kyoto Takarazuka the other day. He Lives.

Comment

Eh!? There's a Takarazuka in Kyoto?

Comment

Its a movie theatre, me thinks. And I think it really was him.

Comment

Hey Kuro:
            Still waiting for that 5:00 meeting? It's almost a week now..............did you ever have that Ichiban Shibori I recommended?

Go over to Careers General - some reeeeeeeel interesting posts there.
            cheers man!
            r.

Comment

Naa, just a little bored today. No meetings; time to get on the Sabori Kyuko and head home.

Thanks for the ref on Careers. I'll take a look.

AND NO, there will be no alcohol consumed at work. I have enough trouble concentrating on it as it is, esp. with this weather.

Be Good

Comment

Kuro:
                Alcohol? You mean............BOOZE?...........AT WORK? The thought.......never.........even......crossed my mind (ahem) : ).

Me be good? Of course if I follow in the tracks of the His Highness, the Honorable, Kurogane, I can be nothing BUT good.................

: )
                Cheers!
                R.

Comment

wtf? i just got off the "north korea policy honky-tonk rave up" thread, you know, the one that got turned into a love-in by richard and kurogane, and then the next thread i get on has been hijacked for one of their sick PDAs! whatever happened to "getting a room", is what i wanna know.

Comment

Hey jackson,

Wanna get a room, Big Fella??????????

Comment

Working...
                    X