X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who had a wedding party?

out of all the people who married a Japanese woman, how many of you had a wedding party???

let's hear about your experiances for those who did or why you didn't have a wedding party.

Re: who had a wedding party?

French restaurant. 10,000 yen/person. Speeches all around. No change of clothing by me or my wife, though. Gifts to the in-laws and to 2 special friends. My wife and I split the cost of everything.

Everything was followed by a casual get-together in a bar for whomever wanted to go.

Comment

If we can change this to `Japanese person` it would be better.

We had 2 formal weddings; 1 Catholic Cathedral wedding in my home country, 1 Shinto wedding at a big shrine here. Big parties after both. We spent about 5 million yen just on the ceremonies, parties and gifts. Add a few more yen for jetting various relatives around.

(We saved a ton by buying dresses/wedding kimonos from ebay.. it`s MUCH cheaper to buy than rent.) We also skipped the omiai party/gift exchange, as the parties couldn`t meet.

I think it was worth it. We now have 600-700 happy friends and relatives. As we are both `first` children, it was important to fulfill ALL requirements of both cultures and religions. (As much as possible...)

Oh, and we had the cash...

Comment

Married in New Zealand at university chapel. Small reception of about 30 people at local caterers.

Reception/party and get-to-know-her relatives at a Nara hotel.

Comment

Got married in a court house on Saipan. Only had 4 friends attend the ceremony and nice relaxed champagne brunch afterwards. Both of us wanted to avoid the gross waste of money that goes with a wedding held in Japan. Spent a little of the pile of money we saved on a great honeymoon in Bali.

On our next trip back to Japan, the in-laws paid for a photo session at a studio where we dressed up in kimonos and had portraits taken. Excellent keep sakes for us, and both our parents. Mother in law was a little disappointed about no having a large formal wedding in Japan, but it was our choice and she went a long with it.

Another part was a gift exchange with my wife's close relatives and friends.

Call us cheap, but it is want we both wanted.

Comment

I didn't want a big wedding or anything flash as it is so costly and I'm not really into big parties. However, my wife said it wasn't really our choice as a wedding is for the parents and relatives; it is a big occassion for them. I was also told it would be rude not to have a wedding party. In the end we got married in a hotel in Makuhari and there were about 100 guests. It all went very well and I was glad I had a wedding with all the works in the end. We had a two hour video taken as well so it can be watched many times. It is something show the kids as well.

Comment

I had a regular English wedding then a crazy Shinto one in Tokyo.
              I couldn't speak much Japanese at the time so everyone was having trouble explaining what I had to do.
              Eventually my mother in law tuned up and said she would translate, great except for the fact she couldn't speak a word of English.
              My favorite bits apart form the crazy get up and music were the three times sake thing and the priest singing my name in a Japanese chant.

Comment

I married my Japanese wife in a small wedding chapel in her hometown. Between 75 and 100 people present. The ceremony was as much for the parents who paid for the whole thing (about 3 million yen). It was a great opportunity for my in-laws to introduce me to their friends. I have had a few job offers from these same friends since the ceremony. Practice your Japanese, just to be polite.

Comment

Working...
                X