X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teacher/Student relationships

What's the common wisdom when it comes to teacher/student relationships and friendships at the big chain schools. I'm aware that one such language school (big chain school) makes instructors sign a contract that forbids them from sharing any social time with students. I'm also aware that many teachers at this school disregard the rule as a matter of course. (Is there any doubt as to which school we're talking about??)

My guess is that it's basically an open secret. I just want to know if anyone has any interesting stories/warnings/advise to share.

TX

Re: Teacher/Student relationships

Just remember, as with any romance where you see the person at work, that if it goes sour you will still have to see that person every day or every week. Socializing is fine, an innocent beer here and there, but a full blown romance with a student is not a good idea. I had a teacher friend get involved with one of his students, and when she got WAY too serious WAY too fast, he called it quits and she caused a scene in one of his classes and quit the school. There are so many other people out there, why choose someone who could make trouble for you?

Comment

That is it exactly. Mess around with your students and you are asking for trouble sooner or later.

Comment

On the other hand, in the spirit of full disclosure, I should say that I started dating a receptionist at the school where I was teaching, and we have been happily married for seven years and counting. She wasn't a student, but it was still a workplace romance. As they say, you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. So if you decide to go for it, things might get messy, but you might also find the love of your life.

Comment

"Mess around with your students and you are asking for trouble sooner or later."

then again, you could get laid a lot too.

Comment

True.

Comment

Shtoop them, Shtoop them alll I say.

Comment

One of my friends expresses it thus:

"Don't buy your meat at the same place you buy your bread."

Because if there turns out to be some problem with your meat (sex), it could jeopardise your supply of bread (money.)

I guess in this case it depends on your financial situation.

If you have an office job or something and are raking in the money, and happen to teach some students on the side, in your spare time, I suppose you could afford jeopardising your bread, and hitting on them. But if you are earning good money from a non-teaching job, I would wonder why you would want to teach English in your free time. You could be using that time trawling the bars and clubs, picking up women, instead of teaching and getting the 3000 yen per hour you can get from that, or whatever the miserable rate it is. It is chicken **** money. And to be honest, I don't think the really sexy ___ women go to classes to study English (maybe they are too busy shopping or getting haircuts or something.) There might be some women who want to study English to find a foreign boyfriend, but you have to ask yourself: are they good enough? do they pass the test to be with me? And anyway, why are they so desperate? Do they have some kind of problem, and are they turning to foreign boyfriends as a last resort? Gaijin get exploited in Japan in so many ways, and one of them is to be used as a last resort by men or women who can't find a Japanese husband/wife. They seem to think we will settle for anything! Sadly, many gaijin fall for the bait (because they don't know better, or because they don't know how to distinquish a good looking ___ from a bad-looking one!)

Anyway, these are all questions you have to ask yourself. Remember your bread, when you lunge for the meat. Happy hunting dude.

Comment

Working...
                X