X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should my fiancee change her name?

My fiancée (Japanese) and I (Canadian) are in the midst of trying to figure out the pros and cons of changing her surname to mine upon registering our marriage. She seems set on taking my name, but of all the married male friends I have here in Japan not one of them has a wife who has taken his surname. I was wondering if there are difficulties that may be encountered by a Japanese woman were she to take a foreigner's surname. Has anyone in this forum had any similar experience with our dilemma? We'd love to hear your comments on this one....

Re: should my fiancee change her name?

MY wife changed her name to my family name, no problem, she uses her maiden name when she wants to. Some of her friends call her by her maiden name. Not a problem.

At work no problem either.

some have problems and some dont..

Luck of the draw...

Comment

After marriage, you have 6 months to change your name.

Like most other countries, it also involves changing names on drivers' licenses, credit cards, etc. Some people just don't like doing that.

For women in Japan, it might look bad at work, depending on circumstances. Some women like to hide their marriage, even to other Japanese, because the boss might expect you will be having babies and will ask you to leave.

If she DOESN'T change her name, I think any of your kids are listed on her family register in HER family name. Not sure about that, though.

For what it's worth, several of my male foreign friends and I have Japanese wives, and they have ALL taken the husband's name.

Comment

thanks for your lightning fast responses, Pocky-man and Glensky... My fiancée seems pretty set on taking my name, but I want to be sure that it's not going to create unforeseen headaches down the road...

Comment

If your the grimace, why doesn't she just go by hamburglar?

Sorry, but Mayor McCheese is already taken

Comment

lol! good work kurogane....that's the best laugh I've had this week... (well, it's still only Monday, but it did thoroughly crack me up... : )

Comment

Robble Robble Robble

Comment

change shouldnt be an issue.. this is the begining of a new family.. some women may be a bit against it. reasons may be many, such as life if divorced.@having a foreign last name as a divorced person in Japan can be a minus for some.. discrimination can be an issue.. but off course they can get their madien name back.. but it is a hassle to do that... in any rate.. married means life together till death.. just never forget that....PEACE!!

Comment

Ya, and Frungy does a mean Hamburglar impression, too.

Check out the registered alias threads on this site. Lots of good info. It obviates the need to change names legally. Very useful.

They are under the Legal section. Be happy

Post Edited (07-27-04 20:03)

Comment

Working...
                  X