Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long were you here when you stopped trying to be "Japanese"?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long were you here when you stopped trying to be "Japanese"?

I have heard there are stages gaijin go through, the first being an utter fascination with Japan, second being noticing Japan's flaws, third is accepting them (or returning home) and fourth is acceptance of one's own gaijinity and the acceptance of the fact one will always to an extent be an outsider.

Yet still I see so many people that have been here for many years insisting (even when no Japanese are present) that we must use Japanese ritualistic phrases such as "いただきます” or not cross a street against a signal in the middle of the night with nobody there because it isn't the "Japanese way". Oddly enough, I always ruffle the oldbie's feathers with the statement "yeah, but we aren't Japanese". One of them angrily retorted "speak for yourself!". Do these people really think they are Japanese?

Originally posted by coolgaijin View Post
    Yet still I see so many people that have been here for many years insisting (even when no Japanese are present) that we must use Japanese ritualistic phrases such as "いただきます” or not cross a street against a signal in the middle of the night with nobody there because it isn't the "Japanese way". Oddly enough, I always ruffle the oldbie's feathers with the statement "yeah, but we aren't Japanese". One of them angrily retorted "speak for yourself!". Do these people really think they are Japanese?
    There are plenty of Japanese who ignore signals or don't do things that seem "Japanese" (whatever that means).

All I can say is they are wannabes, wannabe more Japanese than the Japanese themselves, or somehow think they are more acculturated than others if they act that way. All they do is come off as acting weird.

Comment

Oddly enough, I always ruffle the oldbie's feathers with the statement "yeah, but we aren't Japanese". One of them angrily retorted "speak for yourself!". Do these people really think they are Japanese?
      http://youtu.be/_zCSCMDNclc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8O6aGT5grU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tz5ueq0J3g

Comment

Well yeah consider the main sources of foreigners in Japan -- the US military and eikaiwa. It's no wonder we get a bad reputation.

Comment

I can't say I ever tried to be Japanese. That said, maybe that phrase holds different meaning to me than to the OP. The reason I say that is from reading this:

I see so many people that have been here for many years insisting (even when no Japanese are present) that we must use Japanese ritualistic phrases such as "いただきます”
          Saying itadakimasu isn't trying to be Japanese (for most people at least), it's recognizing the culture of where we live. Fitting in, and trying to be Japanese are completely different things. Anyone who doesn't make at least a reasonable effort to fit in to the culture in which they live is going to be ostracized, and probably go a little weird in the head.

Comment

Well yeah consider the main sources of foreigners in Japan -- the US military and eikaiwa. It's no wonder we get a bad reputation.
            And what bad reputation would that be? Most Japanese people have a good opinion of western foreigners. Granted, most western foreigners don't have a good opinion of western foreigners, but most Japanese don't realize that.

Comment

Never

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
              Dr. Seuss

Comment

Be you a troll, these words are true. I intend to live many years in Japan, and that said I will try only to fly under the radar. I won't act Japanese because I am not Japanese and have no desire to be Japanese. I don't really give a damn what people think of what I do. I will follow the law, social "norms" can kiss my balls.

Comment

In short... about an hour after getting off the plane.

Comment

It was.....

Originally posted by liamoko View Post
                    In short... about an hour after getting off the plane.
                    ...a good sixty minutes while it lasted though wasn't it ?

Comment

Originally posted by madazzahatter View Post
                      ...a good sixty minutes while it lasted though wasn't it ?
                      I suppose so, I had a rather short 'honeymoon phase'...

Comment

Originally posted by liamoko View Post
                        I suppose so, I had a rather short 'honeymoon phase'...
                        Was that right after you realised you had drank dry the airport beer vending machine?????

I once got a hangover halfway in from Narita.

Gawd, does Ueno ever suck poopoo juice when you're feeling the effects.

Comment

No non-native ever really assimilates in Japan, but if we can go with integrate, then yeah, sure.

I would actually go further than you and suggest that even the Kolonial Klub Kidz that never do either still try to not act like lewd, disgusting animals.

There's no advantage to be pretending to be a Japanese man, after all
                          Last edited by kurogane; 2012-06-22, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X