X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JR fare prices

If I took the JR Yamanote from Shibuya to Shinjuku, would it still be the same price as going from Kanda, Ueno, Akihabara, etc... to Shinjuku?

Re: JR fare prices

Tickets are time-stamped, and some automatic ticket machines have an average time factor built-in, so if you took 60 minutes for a journey that should take10, the machine will reject the ticket, and you will have to explain to the station attendant the reason for the delay.

Comment

Ahh....that time when I fell asleep on the first train in the morning (Yamanote) and did a few loops sleeping.....

I dont remember a problem with the ticket....

Comment

The tickets are time stamped, but it should be okay if you enter/exit the station on the same day. Many people eat at restaurants inside stations, so it would be ridiculous if you were charged more for being an hour "late".

The fare is determined by how far you travel. Shibuya to Shinjuku is a shorter trip than Akihabara to Shinjuku, so you would pay a little less. The longer the trip, the faster rate at which the ticket prices go up.

Either way, by the ticket vending machines you should see a huge map of the JR network which lists all the prices to stations within a certain radius.

Comment

Anyway, even if it's not enough, just go to the window guy next to the ticket machines, blurt out something in bad Japanese, and you'll have a 50% chance of getting out for free. It's sometimes nice to see how much they hate interacting with foreigners.

Comment

It's no wonder, if you're the kind of foreigners they see. Pay the fare at the adjustment machines.

Comment

Working...
            X