X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about one way flight to japan

First off, I tried looking all over this site for an answer and have found nothing. Sorry if I have missed anything. My fiance and I are wanting to goto Japan to visit my her family and all we can afford right now is one way tickets. From what I've researched, some say you have to have a return ticket and some say a one way is enough. I called the Japan consulate closest to me and they said that I have to have proof that I'm leaving japan in 90 days, but they said they they have no idea how I would show them I leaving in 90 days other than a return ticket or a ticket to another country. If anyone has any help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Fletch84; 2008-05-03, 11:42 AM.

Cheap return tickets are as cheap or cheaper than one way tickets these days.

How did you plan to leave Japan before your tourist visa expires?

Please don't mention the Power of Love in your answer.

I don't think I can take anymore retarded Newbie rose lensed idealism this week.

Comment

No power of love here........not enough to pull money outta my rear atleast

No, her mother said she would have enough saved to send us back in a couple months. Btw, I'm not a newbie here, I have researched quite a bit on the whole trip and am just currently stuck on this. One way tickets from DTW (detroit) to OKA (okinawa) are currently $1100.00 a piece leaving on may 20th. Round trip tickets are $1,542.00 each. Both prices are including all taxes and surcharges. I have check every site that ppl have recomended on this site to not find a cheper price then that. My fiances mother also checked ITT on the base and they were the same price. My fiances mother and husband are only on duty there for another 9 months, so we are trying to get there kinda quick. Thanks for everything!

Comment

one-way tickets

Originally posted by kurogane
        Cheap return tickets are as cheap or cheaper than one way tickets these days.
        This could be on the way out if more low-cost carriers start flying to Japan.

Jetstar Fares:

Airfares are normally difficult to explain to customers - advance purchase rules, min & max stays, seasonality differences etc.

Well thatfs all a thing of the past. Jetstar offers simple, one way pricing with no apex rules and no stay requirements. Simply add the lowest outbound and inbound fare available for your clientfs itinerary and thatfs it!
        http://www.jetstar.com/~/media/files...salesguide.pdf
        (page 12)

With Jetstar, it can even work out cheaper to buy the return leg separately (at the Japanese yen price).

Comment

i will try them, but.....

what I'm really looking for is to just get into japan on a one way ticket, so i can buy a return ticket later. Thanks though.

[edit]
          I checked out that site, they don't fly from detroit mich, which is kinda a must.
          Last edited by Fletch84; 2008-05-03, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Maybe a ferry ticket to Korea? You could say you were backpacking through NEA?

I don't really think it's a great idea to try and get around the requirement, though. If you're strapped for cash already, you don't need costly mistakes like getting knocked back by the airline when you go to check in for your flight. (This happened to one of my former coworkers, who didn't have enough pages in her passport for an Indonesian visa. She did NOT recoup the cost of her flight, despite being turned away by the airline.)

You're also looking at paying MORE money for two one-ways, and if money is an issue for both you guys and your girfriend's folks, it seems wasteful to me.

I really, really think you should find a way to get round-trip tickets. Keep it on the up and up with the airlines and immigration, cuz you Just Never Know.

If you choose to ignore all that, then, yeah. Look into the ferry to Korea.

Comment

Originally posted by Laquer
              I don't really think it's a great idea to try and get around the requirement, though. If you're strapped for cash already, you don't need costly mistakes like getting knocked back by the airline when you go to check in for your flight.
              Or even better, not getting knocked back by the airline and then being denied entry in Narita.

Comment

thanks everyone!

I found a ferry that I'm booking a trip on to korea, called the beetle. The consulate said that'll work, but how would I prove it, since it's ticketless?

Comment

I came to Japan last August with a tourist visa and a one-way ticket. Nobody asked me anything. Really, I wouldn't worry too much about it: if anyone asks, just tell them how you're planning to leave the country within 90 days.

Comment

Here's what worked for me

I purchased a one way ticket.

I then purchased a second OPEN ENDED, FULLY REFUNDABLE TICKET from American Airlines. This ticket will run about 2300USD. I put it on my card. Once I received entry in to Japan I contacted American Airlines and canceled the ticket. Because it was 100% refundable, there was no charge, and my credit card was debited the full amount. If you time it right you should be able to purchase the ticket and cancel it within the 30 day grace period.

Comment

Originally posted by paijingod
                      Or even better, not getting knocked back by the airline and then being denied entry in Narita.

Or more likely not even being allowed to board the flight in the departing country.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen
                        Or more likely not even being allowed to board the flight in the departing country.
                        *sigh* .

Comment

Originally posted by bland
                          With Jetstar, it can even work out cheaper to buy the return leg separately (at the Japanese yen price).
                          Aren't JetStar subsidiary of QANTAS and run solely between Japan and Aus? Doubt they do Detroit, but as a self-professed Himbo, what would I know.

To the OP...
                          relax, just come. I've done it, known of others who have done it and neither I nor they had a single (or double) eyelid batted.

And your fiance is Japaneezu, no? If so, she's all the cred you need.

As sekicho has said, tell them you'll be leaving in 90 days, and ensure you do actually leave in 90 days.

If not, They're gonna get you!

Comment

I've entered Japan on a one way ticket (with no visa) and not so much as an eyelid was batted by anyone in Japan or my point of origin.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I just got to japan three days ago. No one asked anything. i did book a spot on the beetle just in case, but they never asked. Tokyo was fun going though, except the long bus ride from narita to hadena. I love okinawa, i went snorkling and saw the coral and some flying fish while on a boat. Thanks everyone for all your help! It's beautiful here and I can't wait to see more!

Comment

Working...
                              X