how to dispose of a car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to dispose of a car

I am stumped. someone asked me how to go about disposing of a car... cheaply and legally. it still runs, needs a battery, and is passed the shaken expire date.

any wisedom out there??

much appreciated!!

There are hundreds of scrap yards in Japan. I'm sure that a call to one of them would solve your acquaintance's problem. In some cases, they will buy the car from you and in others you'll need to pay them to take it away - depends on the car and the company you're dealing with.

Comment

There are many companies that will dispose of the car for you...but prices can vary quite a lot amongst them. Main dealers can do it but their prices are pretty high. The very low price (never heard of them) companies you should perhaps avoid as a number of them don't do what they say they will do...say no more.
      It is worth contacting Gulliver. This company is well known in Japan for selling used cars. They also have a division that deals with scrapping cars. Your nearest Gulliver dealer will be able to tell you the number. The car sales garage does not deal with the scrapping itself...they can give you the details of the division that does.
      It cost me 10,000 yen to get rid of my car via them...but mine had a valid shaken, low mileage and I have a feeling it is now being driven by a lucky native of Russia.
      Make sure (even though it's run out) that the name in the owners box on the shaken matches the name in the users box. If the two are different let me know. It can cause big problems if they are different.

Comment

thanks all!

Comment

How about just selling the car? If the car just needs a new battery, why dispose of a car that can still get some use out of it.

Sell it for a couple man, the new owner can get sha-ken done and, whala! Someone has cheap transportation.

What kind of car is it? I know a couple people in my area looking for a cheap reliable car.

Comment

Originally posted by USDMinJDMland View Post
            How about just selling the car? If the car just needs a new battery, why dispose of a car that can still get some use out of it.

Sell it for a couple man, the new owner can get sha-ken done and, whala! Someone has cheap transportation.

What kind of car is it? I know a couple people in my area looking for a cheap reliable car.
            Toyota Mark II, old, lots of kilometers on it, all highway. powerful engine. comfortable ride. in southern Hyogo
            Last edited by well_bicyclically; 2010-05-14, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Is it the twin turbo engine or the rarer Supercharged engine? If you're friend wants to sell, how much?

Let me know what year and the milage, and I'll see what I can do for ya.

Comment

Working...
              X