X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Procedure for buying used car in Japan

One of my friends is leaving Japan for good. I am planning to buy his car, however, I am not sure about the process/paper work that I need to go through. Would appreciate if someone could point me to the right direction.

You need a "bill of sale" which can be aquired at your insurance company or the local Land Transportation Office, he will sign/stamp it and you will sign/stamp it, show your proof of insurance shaken, hoken, etc, and they will change the title to your name. (at the local Land Transportation Office)

Comment

Originally posted by society mike View Post
      You need a "bill of sale" which can be aquired at your insurance company or the local Land Transportation Office, he will sign/stamp it and you will sign/stamp it, show your proof of insurance shaken, hoken, etc, and they will change the title to your name. (at the local Land Transportation Office)
      Is that really all there is to it?

A friend of mine is GIVING(or selling at minimum possible value) me a 20 year-old Honda Today.
      The shaken expires in about 5 weeks (which I'd like to take care of myself).

Will it be easier to take care of renewing the shaken BEFORE or AFTER transferring the vehicle to my name?
      (I was thinking it may be a pain if I claim ownership of the vehicle THEN find out it's not going to be able to pass the shaken inspection.)

Thanks,

Itchy

Comment

Make Sure that all the documents are well maintained and genuine.It is essential to concentrate on these factors.Contacting an experienced car dealer is not a bad idea as they bring with them loads of experience.

Comment

This is a necrobump of an 8 month old thread... But yeah, registering the car takes a little more than just a "bill of sale"...

Comment

probably the easiest way to do this is to go to Autobacks and have them do it for you for a modest fee!

Comment

Originally posted by iago View Post
              This is a necrobump of an 8 month old thread... But yeah, registering the car takes a little more than just a "bill of sale"...
              Correct, bill of sale, car shaken or certificate of de-registration, proof of new owners address from the city office (torokushomeisho) and the parking certificate from the local gestapo.

Comment

Working...
              X