X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• commuter pass

hello. need some clarifications regarding the commuter pass.

if im now living at toritsudaigaku, and studying on a short term basis at yoyogi.
    my journey route will normally be

toritsudaigaku -> shibuya (via tokyu toyoko)
    shibuya -> yoyogi (via JR yamanote)

checked that this commuter pass (toritsudaigaku --> yoyogi) will be 9490yen per month.
    (the normal commuter pass, not student)

questions are:

1. what documents will they require for me to get a commuter pass? do i need to provide my address? is it possible for me to get a commuter pass from jiyugaoka (one stop before toritsudaigaku) to yoyogi instead (as ive checked that the price is the same whether im boarding from jiyugaoka or toritsudaigaku)

2. the commuter pass is usable everyday? (ie including weekends?) and im able to get down any of the stops in between jiyugaoka to yoyogi?

3. if im intending to alight at shinjuku (ie after yoyogi), can i include a prepaid amount in the card, so that it just the extra fare automatically gets deducted? will they deduct the difference in the fare (ie. yoyogi -> shinjuku) or would i have to pay the full amount since its not within my commuting journey?

4. since my journey starts on tokyu toyoko and ends with JR, should i buy the commuter pass from JR stations or tokyu station?
    ive tried to check the costs on JR website but im only allowed to key in a JR station as a boarding station. does this mean i can only buy it from yoyogi and not jiyugaoka/toritsudaigaku?
    also will this pass be a suica or pasmo or something else?

5. how can i renew the pass after one month?

would appreciate any help i can get
    thanks!

I don't know anything about student passes, all replies below relate to regular passes.

Question 1 was actually 4 questions. You may need to provide an address (I had to to put one on my pasmo card). You can get the pass from any stop you want to any stop you want. Although I know nothing about student passes, so if you are getting one of those, maybe you will have some restrictions. But if you are buying a regular pass, you can buy one from Osaka to toritsudaigaku if that's what you feel like.

2) You can use commuter passes any day, and you can get off at any of the stations in between those listed.

3) You can add money to your card, and you are only charged for the fee outside of your zone. But be warned, you don't pay the difference in fare, you pay the full fare from the spot you go off your commuting route. So for example, if you go one station further than your card covers, and the difference in fare is 10 yen between those two spots, you will still have to pay the full fare from the end of your commuter pass to that next station - be that 100 yen, 200 yen, whatever.

4) I don't know.

5) You go to station, and renew it.

Comment

Originally posted by skysj4 View Post

1. what documents will they require for me to get a commuter pass? do i need to provide my address? is it possible for me to get a commuter pass from jiyugaoka (one stop before toritsudaigaku) to yoyogi instead (as ive checked that the price is the same whether im boarding from jiyugaoka or toritsudaigaku)
      You can get on and off at any stops between the destinations you write on the application. I have no idea why you plan to get off one stop before unless you plan to walk the rest of the distance. If you go past your destination the machine could stop you at the ticket gate as its outside the designated zone.

2. the commuter pass is usable everyday? (ie including weekends?) and im able to get down any of the stops in between jiyugaoka to yoyogi?
      You can use 24/7 during the one month, as many rides as you like. Essentially its a prepaid card.

3. if im intending to alight at shinjuku (ie after yoyogi), can i include a prepaid amount in the card, so that it just the extra fare automatically gets deducted? will they deduct the difference in the fare (ie. yoyogi -> shinjuku) or would i have to pay the full amount since its not within my commuting journey?
      They will essentially charge you 20 return fares between stations though you are free to travel at any time exceeding 20 times (5 days a week by four weeks). You can get on an off without paying extra.

4. since my journey starts on tokyu toyoko and ends with JR, should i buy the commuter pass from JR stations or tokyu station?
      ive tried to check the costs on JR website but im only allowed to key in a JR station as a boarding station. does this mean i can only buy it from yoyogi and not jiyugaoka/toritsudaigaku?
      depending on the pass it can only be used on JR or private lines. If you go to the ticket office they can calculate the fare on both lines.

FWIW I use ICOCA in Kansai and I can use it on all lines, including subway JR and private lines. I think SUICA is the same in Tokyo. All it does is debit the amount from the total.

For a "teiki" pass you need to go to the ticket office and write out a new application as you need to write in the dates you can use it. Suica cards etc you just recharge in the machines provided by feeding it more money.

Comment

Originally posted by skysj4 View Post

also will this pass be a suica or pasmo or something else?

Agree with all of EA's answers. A few more comments.
        1. Get the commuter pass that will allow you to go furthest for the same price since, as EA said, you can get on and off free of charge along your route.

4. I have a commuter pass starting from a station on another non-JR line that finishes with a JR journey. I always buy my pass from a vending machine at my home (non-JR line) station.

5. Do also look into the cost of longer passes if you've got the money available. In my case, a 1 month pass is about 14,000 yen, a 3 month pass is 39,000 yen and a 6 month pass is 70,000 yen.

Comment

Working...
        X