Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

Bringing Plants (Bulbs) into Japan from U.S.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing Plants (Bulbs) into Japan from U.S.

My family is coming to visit next week and my mom thought it'd be nice to bring some bulbs to give as gifts.
    She heard that plants can't have dirt on them in order to get them into the country.
    I was under the impression that anything like that is totally off limits because of the potential of carrying plant diseases, bacteria, etc.

I checked the prohibited materials site and it doesn't appear to have anything listed referring to regular house plants.
    Here's the link: http://www.customs.go.jp/english/summary/prohibit.htm

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Itchy

Originally posted by itchykneeson View Post
    M

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Itchy
    Here is the MOFA website on importing plants into Japan (you are looking at quarantine rather than prohibited items)

http://www.pps.go.jp/english/index.html

http://www.pps.go.jp/english/law/list2-2.html

Comment

Bit late for bulbs isn't it?
      It's... er ...Spring (apparently)

Is there not a more sensible present your mom could bring?
      Beer for example. Or a blue plastic tarp.

Comment

Three words to think about:

Potentially invasive species.
        Not the best of ideas to bring non-native plants to an island.

Comment

Thanks for the input and links, guys.

This is just something my mom brought up during our last Skype conversation.
          I'll forward this information to her and let her decide what to do.
          She really enjoys gardening and wanted to give gifts that have a connection with her personality.

We'll also be hosting a class instructing women whom I've met how to make heat bags filled with rice or buckwheat hulls and scented herbs because we all know how chilly it can be when getting into your futon during the chilly months.

Thanks again,

Itchy
          Last edited by itchykneeson; 2012-03-20, 12:12 AM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

[QUOTE=itchykneeson;1237628]Thanks for the input and links, guys.

This is just something my mom brought up during our last Skype conversation.
            I'll forward this information to her and let her decide what to do.
            She really enjoys gardening and wanted to give gifts that have a connection with her personality.

We'll also be hosting a class instructing women whom I've met how to make heat bags filled with rice or buckwheat hulls and scented herbs because we all know how chilly it can be when getting into your futon.

Thanks again,

Itchy[/QUO

I managed to bring in about 100 raspberry plants by just saying i had nothing to declare. plants were in luggage and not visible.

Comment

Working...
            X