Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time travelling, who should I book my plane ticket with?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time travelling, who should I book my plane ticket with?

I want to make my trip as simple as possible. Should I book with Orbitz and deal with a 21 hour layover in Osaka's airport, or should I book directly with ANA and transfer between narita airport and haneda airport (Is 3 hours enough time to do this or should i just book the 16 hour layover between transfers)? With the Osaka airport i don't know if i would want to risk leaving the airport. And with orbitz i would be able to buy travel insurance while with ANA there is no option to do so.

Three hours is very tight, and probably not enough for most people to get from Tokyo to Haneda, much less someone who's not used to traveling. It usually takes 30 min - 1 hour just to get out of the airport, and a good hour between airports. Then you have to check in at Haneda. Very little leeway for mistakes or late airplanes.

21 hours in any airport sounds like about the most boring thing to do. If you have 21 hours, you may as well go to Osaka for a few hours.

Is your final destination Japan? Where?

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
      Three hours is very tight, and probably not enough for most people to get from Tokyo to Haneda, much less someone who's not used to traveling. It usually takes 30 min - 1 hour just to get out of the airport, and a good hour between airports. Then you have to check in at Haneda. Very little leeway for mistakes or late airplanes.

21 hours in any airport sounds like about the most boring thing to do. If you have 21 hours, you may as well go to Osaka for a few hours.

Is your final destination Japan? Where?
      Thank you for the help. My destination is Hakodate, Hokkaido. So I guess my two options then are booking with the third party Orbitz for a 21 hour layover in Osaka or directly with ANA for a 16 hour layover and a transfer between Narita to Haneda. They are around the same price. Which would you do?

Comment

I'd try and find a flight that goes from Narita to Hokkaido.

Comment

Originally posted by mosswoodpark View Post
          Thank you for the help. My destination is Hakodate, Hokkaido. So I guess my two options then are booking with the third party Orbitz for a 21 hour layover in Osaka or directly with ANA for a 16 hour layover and a transfer between Narita to Haneda. They are around the same price. Which would you do?
          You really dont want to spend 21 hours inside an airport, especially Kanku. there is absolutely nothing to do there. You will feel like Tom Hanks in "Terminal".

I dont know if you can go through immigration during stopovers but the Nikko hotel is right next to the airport, you may as well book a room in the hotel.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
            You really dont want to spend 21 hours inside an airport, especially Kanku. there is absolutely nothing to do there. You will feel like Tom Hanks in "Terminal".

I dont know if you can go through immigration during stopovers but the Nikko hotel is right next to the airport, you may as well book a room in the hotel.
            yeah i dont know about immigration either. there's also the issue of whether my luggage is automatically re-checked at the stop in osaka. otherwise i will have a lot to carry around with me around the airport. If i leave the airport, is the hotel within walking distance? How realistic is all of this to get done for someone who's never been in the country before?

Comment

You can. I've left an airport for five minutes before.

Comment

OP, are you leaving from the US? In the past, I used to get good deals booking with the Travelodge.com. They used to have an insurance too, plus give you great discounts on hotels.

Comment

yeah i dont know about immigration either. there's also the issue of whether my luggage is automatically re-checked at the stop in osaka. otherwise i will have a lot to carry around with me around the airport. If i leave the airport, is the hotel within walking distance? How realistic is all of this to get done for someone who's never been in the country before?
                  KIX is on a reclaimed island and the hotel is directly across from the departure terminal, its not even a 3 minute walk. Its about 150 meters door to door. JR station separates the hotel from the airport terminal.
                  If you want to go into Osaka you will have to put your bags in a locker or a deposit area. I have read previously about getting day passes as technically you have already entered the country and gone through immigration. You will now be taking a domestic flight from KIX to Hokkaido.
                  Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-03-18, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiboo View Post
                    OP, are you leaving from the US? In the past, I used to get good deals booking with the Travelodge.com. They used to have an insurance too, plus give you great discounts on hotels.
                    I don't need a place to stay though, i don't mind sleeping in the airport if they would let me

Comment

If your ticket is from your destination through Osaka and to Hokkaido, they will take care of your luggage for you. If you are switching airlines or buying a separate ticket, you will need to get your luggage, and check it in again.

Getting from the airport into the city is pretty simple, but that said, you don't sound like you have the confidence to do it, so you'd be best off staying around the airport. The hotel will be close, and there will probably be shuttle busses from the airport to whatever hotel you stay in.

Comment

KIX is on a reclaimed island and the hotel is directly across from the departure terminal, its not even a 3 minute walk. Its about 150 meters door to door. JR station separates the hotel from the airport terminal.
                        If you want to go into Osaka you will have to put your bags in a locker or a deposit area. I have read previously about getting day passes as technically you have already entered the country and gone through immigration. You will now be taking a domestic flight from KIX to Hokkaido.
                        thank you. this is helpful. I think i am going to book with orbitz as im not comfortable with transferring between airports in tokyo

Comment

I don't need a place to stay though, i don't mind sleeping in the airport if they would let me
                          KIX is not like Singapore airport and there are no beds, simply bench seats or you lie on the floor. Its not even a 24 hour airport and the shops and bars will close in the evening. You wont even be able to buy a candy bar except maybe at a vending machine.

Im not sure but if the airline has booked your bags through to Hokkaido there may be no need to declare your luggage at customs. All you need is enough for a one night stay if you leave the airport. best check with the agent on that though.
                          Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-03-18, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
                            If your ticket is from your destination through Osaka and to Hokkaido, they will take care of your luggage for you. If you are switching airlines or buying a separate ticket, you will need to get your luggage, and check it in again.

Getting from the airport into the city is pretty simple, but that said, you don't sound like you have the confidence to do it, so you'd be best off staying around the airport. The hotel will be close, and there will probably be shuttle busses from the airport to whatever hotel you stay in.
                            ah, thanks. thats what i needed to know

Comment

KIX is not like Singapore airport and there are no beds, simply bench seats or you lie on the floor. Its not even a 24 hour airport and the shops and bars will close in the evening. You wont even be able to buy a candy bar except maybe at a vending machine.
                              how much does that hotel cost for the night?

Comment

Working...
                              X