X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solo travel to japan

i want to viisit japan someday, but nobody to go with. im a 30 year old asian guy. can speak really basic jp. any stuff i need to now going solo to travel to japan on your own.
    im thinking of going with a tour guide since i cant speak the language and easier. i heard it confusing to get around the jr rail

also anyone now any budget or save money ways. heard the country is very $$

let me now. i like to hear your experience travelling to japan

WTF! You are 30 years old, what is there to be afraid of? You need someone to hold your hand? Nowadays, most people a traveler in Japan would encounter understand /speak enough English, so yes you can travel solo to Japan, China now that is a different ball game.

You have heard wrong about traveling by JR rail, they have maps and signs in English! To save money do not use a tour guide, do not go crazy overeating and drinking, there are hostels and guest house in all big cities where you can stay. I traveled Japan in the early 70`s, hitchhiked along the way, also took night buses and night trains between some cities. You can still do that!
    Last edited by BackDoor_Man; 2012-03-18, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nyknicks View Post
      i want to viisit japan someday, but nobody to go with. im a 30 year old asian guy. can speak really basic jp. any stuff i need to now going solo to travel to japan on your own.
      im thinking of going with a tour guide since i cant speak the language and easier. i heard it confusing to get around the jr rail

also anyone now any budget or save money ways. heard the country is very $$

let me now. i like to hear your experience travelling to japan
      Good idea is also decide what you actually want to see most. Don't try and do too much as there is too much to see and do.

Try and spend 1-2 days in one place rather than try and run all over the place.

JR runs all over Japan including Shinkansen (bullet train). Best idea is buy a Japan Rail pass that gives you unlimited travel on JR trains for a limited period.

Comment

Your English is good dude. If I can get around Japan then so can you.
        Buy a railpass, look into toyoko inn membership (It's a cheap (but good) business hotel)
        Forget the guided tour thing.

I love Chinese folk. I'll personally give you the Tokyo special tour if you want.

Comment

As some of the people have already said...get a JR Pass have a quick look at some travel guides and then just go for it. In my experience you dont need to know Japanese while travelling in Japan.

Check out places like Tripadvisor for ideas and recommendations on where to stay. You will often find good reviews to hostels that will give you lots of local information.

I recently went to Hiroshima and stayed at a guest house which was listed on Tripadvisor and the host gave me so much help and information that made my trip SO good -

Travel in Japan doesnt have to be expensive either.
          Last edited by french blue dog; 2013-05-20, 08:19 PM.

Comment

wow! first-timer!!! what is it like to post on a thread that is NOT five years old???

Comment

I'm a white female in my early 30s and I've been traveling through Japan in the past 7 years. I've been to all 47 prefectures.
              It's no problem traveling alone, not even for a female.

Ok, I have to admit that I speak Japanese, so especially in rural areas it was easier for me to get around, but I wouldn't worry to much.

You can also read about my travel experience in my blog.
              Maybe you can find some inspiration as for where you might want to go.
              Last edited by tsunatuna; 2013-06-02, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X