X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rent an ETC ?

I want to drive up to Tohoku for a week in April and look around... is there a possibility to rent an ETC for such a short period?

Can't think of any of the top of my head, normally they are linked to your credit card. I think it is a long shot but try a car rental company. I think some may be able to hook you up. I also heard that some don't have the etc and you still need your own. Si give the big chains a ring first.

Comment

You want to rent the machine, or a card? The machine should be pre-installed in most rental cars (maybe not the cheapest models). You are on your own for the card, as ericson said it's tied to your credit card.

If you have a Japanese credit card you can get an ETC card by calling them and saying "I want...". You don't need a reader, you can just hand it to the attendant. If you don't have a Japanese credit card then you're SOL - the system doesn't play well with others.

Comment

Thanks....

I want to drive in my own car, but as it is a long way up there and they may that 1500 Yen business again on the weekend, then it would make much of a difference.
        A flight to Osaka from Haneda is cheaper than the car! But as I want see Tohoku, I want to drive up the eastcoast and then down the westcoast...

Comment

The machines are readily available on Yahoo auctions - make sure you either get the right one (registered for a Kei car or a regular car) or take it to any auto store and re-register it.

Most units require considerable installation, there are a few models that are all-in-one.

You still need the card - do you have a Japanese credit card?

Comment

Originally posted by rtfm View Post
            ....You still need the card - do you have a Japanese credit card?
            that is the kicker! ONCE you have a Japanese credit card, THEN you have to ask them to issue you a card for the ETC box. That card as an IC chip in it and is necessary for the proper billing each time you pass through the toll gates. It needs to be treated like a credit card. You should remove it from the ETC device when you are not in the car, and keep it in a secure location. I recommend you keep it in Lennonix's groin area... because no one ever goes there...

Comment

Great.... thanks.

Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post
              that is the kicker! ONCE you have a Japanese credit card, THEN you have to ask them to issue you a card for the ETC box. That card as an IC chip in it and is necessary for the proper billing each time you pass through the toll gates. It needs to be treated like a credit card. You should remove it from the ETC device when you are not in the car, and keep it in a secure location. I recommend you keep it in Lennonix's groin area... because no one ever goes there...
              When I buy one on Yahoo auctions, all I need to specify is Kei-Car? (Thats what I drive) Is there a way to check it out, or is it reasonable to expect them all to work?
              Where would I find the prices for new ones (to compare), or in case you know, how much are new ones, and how much should a used one cost?

The other thing, the credit card is no problem, my japanese wife has one.
              She can get the ETC card for me, and I only need that one in the car, not her card? ( I am going alone.... ;-) )

Comment

You either need it set up for a Kei car or just take it into any car accessories dealer with your Shaken papers and they can re-register it. Takes 15 minutes, costs about Y3000.

New ones are in the 12,000 - 15,000 range.

You only need the ETC card in the machine or at the toll booth, possession of the credit card is not required.

Comment

Originally posted by LD2
                  Check some of the sites foreigners use to sell their stuff in Japan. I saw an ETC on one of them for 5000 yen.
                  Ah, yes.... thanks for reminding me. Gaijin Pot and Metropolis come to mind. I have never seen any there myself, but I never really checked....

Comment

Working...
                  X