Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top

Top Module
Collapse

One way Vs. Round trip

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • One way Vs. Round trip

    Here's the thing. I'm planning on backpacking through Japan this summer and possibly looking for work. I'm either going to stay at a few hostels or with one of those WWOOF hosts. The thing is, I'm not sure how long I'm going to stay. I know the limit on a tourist visa is 3 months, so definitely no more then that if I can't find a job. I'm just not sure how long I'm going to stick around within that time. Could be just 2 weeks, could be the full 3 months. Has anyone here ever bought a one way ticket to Japan on a tourist visa, later to buy a one way ticket back home when they felt ready to leave?

    Also, I'm an American, so I know my passport comes with a landing permit. Is that pretty much the same as tourist visa?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Gus3 View Post
    Here's the thing. I'm planning on backpacking through Japan this summer and possibly looking for work. I'm either going to stay at a few hostels or with one of those WWOOF hosts. The thing is, I'm not sure how long I'm going to stay. I know the limit on a tourist visa is 3 months, so definitely no more then that if I can't find a job. I'm just not sure how long I'm going to stick around within that time. Could be just 2 weeks, could be the full 3 months. Has anyone here ever bought a one way ticket to Japan on a tourist visa, later to buy a one way ticket back home when they felt ready to leave?

    Also, I'm an American, so I know my passport comes with a landing permit. Is that pretty much the same as tourist visa?
    The immigration might want to see your round trip ticket. If you don`t know how long you`re gonna stay, buy an open ticket. Round trip comes usually cheaper than one way though there might be an extra charge for open ticket. Good luck.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Kiboo View Post
      The immigration might want to see your round trip ticket. If you don`t know how long you`re gonna stay, buy an open ticket. Round trip comes usually cheaper than one way though there might be an extra charge for open ticket. Good luck.
      I've got an account with Kayak.com. How do I buy an open ticket through them?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Gus3 View Post
        I've got an account with Kayak.com. How do I buy an open ticket through them?
        I dont know about Kayak. If you fly from the US, you might try to book through Orbitz or Travelodge.com they both have good deals on flights and Orbitz offers the travel insurance as well.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Gus3 View Post
          Also, I'm an American, so I know my passport comes with a landing permit. Is that pretty much the same as tourist visa?
          The airline will not let you board the plane on a one way ticket. Immigration will want to see an onward ticket out of Japan or a return ticket. What guarantee will they have you will leave after 3 months is up?

          Comment


          • #6
            I've found the check in agent will ask/check if you've got a one way/return ticket. I've never had "problems" (asking questions) with the actual immigration staff....only airline check in staff. (strange, I know...)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dilberto View Post
              I've found the check in agent will ask/check if you've got a one way/return ticket. I've never had "problems" (asking questions) with the actual immigration staff....only airline check in staff. (strange, I know...)
              Because if Japan kicks you out of the country the airline may have to fly you back to your point of origin and the airline also faces a stiff fine. It becomes the airlines problem, not immigration.

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks everyone. I'll definitely be getting a round trip ticket now.

                There's one more thing though. I've heard that having a US passport automatically gives you a landing permit that allows you to stay in Japan for three months. No tourist visa required. Is this true?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Gus3 View Post
                  Thanks everyone. I'll definitely be getting a round trip ticket now.

                  There's one more thing though. I've heard that having a US passport automatically gives you a landing permit that allows you to stay in Japan for three months. No tourist visa required. Is this true?
                  Its not a visa is a tourist visa waiver. Americans are allowed to enter Japan as a tourist without needing to apply for a visa at the embassy first.

                  You will get a 90-day landing stamp when you arrive at the airport.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                    Its not a visa is a tourist visa waiver. Americans are allowed to enter Japan as a tourist without needing to apply for a visa at the embassy first.

                    You will get a 90-day landing stamp when you arrive at the airport.
                    because we are awesome and we smell good.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                      Its not a visa is a tourist visa waiver. Americans are allowed to enter Japan as a tourist without needing to apply for a visa at the embassy first.

                      You will get a 90-day landing stamp when you arrive at the airport.
                      Thanks for clearing that up.

                      Originally posted by YokohamaTommy View Post
                      because we are awesome and we smell good.
                      Really? I was told that we smell like butter.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Gus3 View Post
                        Really? I was told that we smell.
                        ♩ ♫ ♬My mistake!♩ ♫ ♬
                        Fixed it.
                        Last edited by YokohamaTommy; 2012-04-05, 10:32 AM.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X