Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top

Top Module
Collapse

Laws/Rules regarding water rights

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Laws/Rules regarding water rights

    Curious about what Japan's policies are in regards to owning or controlling rivers.

    In the U.S. it is basically a state by state issue with some giving the owners of the property a river runs through control of it, but many dictating that you cannot own flowing water.

    The reason I ask is that I enjoy kayaking and I'm wondering what my rights are if I want to just drop in at a popular spot that is being used by some type of recreational tours or rentals company.

    I've already had a minor run-in with someone who claimed that if I wanted to paddle in waters that they use for payees, I'd have to cough up an hourly fee.

    I just smiled and gave a few "wakarimasen"s and continued about my business, but I fear one day it may escalate and I doubt anyone carries around a book of covenants and bylaws.

    Obviously most Japanese, to avoid confrontation at all costs, would just bow deeply whilst profusely apologizing and then turn with tail between legs.

    I'm not wired like that!

    Thanks in advance for any insight on this.

  • #2
    I think the only stipulation is where you actually drop in at. Such as private land or whatnot...

    The water itself, if it's a natural location such as a lake, river or other body of water... there's nothing preventing you from using the waterway.

    A quick skim through some of the popular rivers and water ways, doesn't turn up anything about having to pay someone or if someone can control the waterway.

    One thing that does stick out though, some places may have areas that farmers may want you to avoid, where they are farming in certain areas.

    (obviously, this applies to small boats, canoes --- rules are different for bigger, powered boating)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ENF View Post
      I think the only stipulation is where you actually drop in at. Such as private land or whatnot...

      The water itself, if it's a natural location such as a lake, river or other body of water... there's nothing preventing you from using the waterway.

      A quick skim through some of the popular rivers and water ways, doesn't turn up anything about having to pay someone or if someone can control the waterway.

      One thing that does stick out though, some places may have areas that farmers may want you to avoid, where they are farming in certain areas.

      (obviously, this applies to small boats, canoes --- rules are different for bigger, powered boating)
      Yeah, that's pretty much what my line of thinking was. You're always gonna get a few arseholes that want to try and intimidate you or take you for some money if they can, but unless they can provide documentation I'm gonna hold my ground...errr...water.

      Without a whole lot of my own knowledge of what's navigable, fun, dangerous, etc., the easiest thing to do is research where the tour groups are and just go there.
      I like doing my own exploring but with the way they dam all of the waterways here, it's risky dropping in and floating downstream blind.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Shakes Spear View Post
        I've already had a minor run-in with someone who claimed that if I wanted to paddle in waters that they use for payees, I'd have to cough up an hourly fee..
        Is these waters a public waterway????

        They probably have a commercial use licence, but since they are commercially exploiting the river, they need one.

        You don't, and since you aren't a customer of theirs, and it isn't their water, I would give them a hearty Ki e Usero and paddle on.


        It's probably just a pencil dick with a Tojo complex.


        Unless the landing you used is theirs................

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by LD2
          How fast can you kayak? Unless they have a kayak also, pretty much all they can do is yell at you from the banks

          Seriously though, I was wondering about this too.
          It's the guys with rafts and kayaks that I'm worried about. And when I say worried, I don't mean the "Oh no, I'm gonna get in trouble!" worried.
          I'm talking about a confrontation that could potentially escalate into a situation that might be inappropriate for my 6 year old to witness.

          The rafters and kayakers don't tend to be as bad as the "Ayukuza", but they don't like pesky foreigners showing the sheep a cheaper way to enjoy their leisure activities either.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by kurogane View Post
            Is these waters a public waterway????

            They probably have a commercial use licence, but since they are commercially exploiting the river, they need one.

            You don't, and since you aren't a customer of theirs, and it isn't their water, I would give them a hearty Ki e Usero and paddle on.


            It's probably just a pencil dick with a Tojo complex.


            Unless the landing you used is theirs................
            Yeah, we're talking free flowing (up until the dams) nature made (except for the parts where the banks are concrete) rivers (OK, oversized streams).

            Of course I avoid dropping in at their landings. They're pretty much ALL pencil dicks with a Tojo complex, but I fear they may suffer the same fate as him if they harass me.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Shakes Spear View Post
              Curious about what Japan's policies are in regards to owning or controlling rivers.
              Not sure, but a quick inquiry at the local town office should provide you with what you need to know. There should be an office that handles the rivers. Eg. the one for roads and parks is 土木管理局. I'm too lazy to look up something I don't already know. But please post it here when you find out.

              Originally posted by Shakes Spear View Post
              I just smiled and gave a few "wakarimasen"s and continued about my business, but I fear one day it may escalate and I doubt anyone carries around a book of covenants and bylaws.

              Obviously most Japanese, to avoid confrontation at all costs, would just bow deeply whilst profusely apologizing and then turn with tail between legs.

              I'm not wired like that!
              Good for you.

              It has already been said, but I agree that the only legal issue you might have is entering someone else's property to get to and from the water. Aside from that, I see no p

              Originally posted by kurogane View Post
              It's probably just a pencil dick with a Tojo complex.
              What if it's a Tojo with a pencil dick complex?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by hml View Post
                What if it's a Tojo with a pencil dick complex?
                Coz Tojo don't kayak???



                Anyways, Shakey,

                Yeah, I would go semi-native and just avoid them as possible.

                Otherwise, just shake your spear at them.

                And the Kie Usero line usually works for me with busybodies and such.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Here is how you deal with this the Japanese way:

                  Them: "Hey, you can't use this without a permit"
                  You: "Ah soo..." [paddles away ignoring them]

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by kurogane View Post
                    Coz Tojo don't kayak???



                    Anyways, Shakey,

                    Yeah, I would go semi-native and just avoid them as possible.

                    Otherwise, just shake your spear at them.

                    And the Kie Usero line usually works for me with busybodies and such.
                    I've definitely added Kie Usero to my quiver!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Effected After View Post
                      Here is how you deal with this the Japanese way:

                      Them: "Hey, you can't use this without a permit"
                      You: "Ah soo..." [paddles away ignoring them]
                      The beauty of that method is that you're really saying asshole! I prefer just saying "arigatou!" while nodding my head and smiling. It really irritates them to think that I'm misinterpreting their message to be a positive.

                      It's not that they want you to have a permit, it's wanting you to pay them for circumventing their overpriced niche business.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Just print this out, laminate it and put it on a name-holder necklace. Everything will be fine.

                        Name:  9547c43da08cf359d0d952c3d22f43dd.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  93.8 KB

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          sorry that was so big! hahahaha

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by hml View Post
                            Just print this out, laminate it and put it on a name-holder necklace. Everything will be fine.

                            Name:  9547c43da08cf359d0d952c3d22f43dd.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  93.8 KB
                            SaWEEEEET!!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Shakes Spear View Post
                              SaWEEEEET!!!!
                              Please drink a beer for me while in your boat. And while staring directly at the punk who told you to pay. Then burp. Loudly. Please be sure to position yourself so the sound will echo off the rocks. An area with a slow current is best. :P

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X