Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Commuting Expenses: Your company's limit?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commuting Expenses: Your company's limit?

For those of you working in Japan and more specifically in the Kanto/Tokyo area, what are your monthly commuting allowances?

We have a set limit per month of how much we can charge for commuter passes and anything over that limit is paid out-of-pocket.

So, I'd like to compare our current monthly limit of 120,000~ to other companies. Is this average? Or, above or lower than other companies?

I suppose that in some cases, the amount you can charge may be tied to the position in the company.

Originally posted by ENF View Post
    We have a set limit per month of how much we can charge for commuter passes and anything over that limit is paid out-of-pocket.

So, I'd like to compare our current monthly limit of 120,000~ to other companies. Is this average? Or, above or lower than other companies?

I suppose that in some cases, the amount you can charge may be tied to the position in the company.
    A person would have to be commuting from Nagano or Shizuoka on the Shinkansen to be spending 120,000 yen a month on transportation.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
      A person would have to be commuting from Nagano or Shizuoka on the Shinkansen to be spending 120,000 yen a month on transportation.
      That's correct. I will start commuting next month via Shinkansen from Shizuoka. It's just under 100k/month or about 298k for a 3-month pass. That means I'll have to go easy on Taxi's and local Tokyo trains unless I can claim a client expense.

If I decide to change jobs, I'm just curious what other professional people are getting for commuting expenses. We've got a few people in our Tokyo office that come in from as far out as Hamamatsu on a daily basis.

Edit: Our average staff cost is about 60,000 yen for a six month pass. There are not that many people using more than 10-30,000 yen/month in regular commuting expenses.
      Last edited by ENF; 2012-06-18, 04:20 PM.

Comment

That's correct. I will start commuting next month via Shinkansen from Shizuoka. It's just under 100k/month or about 298k for a 3-month pass. That means I'll have to go easy on Taxi's and local Tokyo trains unless I can claim a client expense.

If I decide to change jobs, I'm just curious what other professional people are getting for commuting expenses. We've got a few people in our Tokyo office that come in from as far out as Hamamatsu on a daily basis.
        You seem to get about 90 minutes worth of travel paid for, that's the average Tokyo commute. Hamamatsu is about the limit.
        Anything further, and you'll be asked to move, or take tanshin funin - stay in a dormitory/ apartment during the week, return home to family when you can.

Comment

Originally posted by trip_hop View Post
          You seem to get about 90 minutes worth of travel paid for, that's the average Tokyo commute. Hamamatsu is about the limit.
          Anything further, and you'll be asked to move, or take tanshin funin - stay in a dormitory/ apartment during the week, return home to family when you can.
          I've heard about that and I know there is one older fellow that has his family somewhere near Osaka. He stays in Tokyo during the week and goes home on Friday evening, he makes enough money to afford a place here in Tokyo in addition to his home near Osaka.

My new commute will be about 1 hour 15 minutes door to door, that's very reasonable when I can actually get morning emails done on the Shinkansen.

Comment

For those of you working in Japan and more specifically in the Kanto/Tokyo area, what are your monthly commuting allowances?

I think my company (a rather ketchi but fairly major japanese company, you'd know it) sets the limit at either 100 or 120.

I have a fairly trivial 8000/mo single-line 20 minute (about 40-50 door to door) commute from the unfashionable east edge of Tokyo.

Comment

I've heard about that and I know there is one older fellow that has his family somewhere near Osaka. He stays in Tokyo during the week and goes home on Friday evening, he makes enough money to afford a place here in Tokyo in addition to his home near Osaka.
              Essentially if you are posted on tanshin funin you do not refuse or you will miss out on promotions and perks down the line. Most Japanese suck it up and accept it as part of doing business. Kids dont need to be pulled out of their schools either. Company probably subsidises his Tokyo apartment and if its only him its probably no more than a crash pad after boozing during week nights.

My new commute will be about 1 hour 15 minutes door to door, that's very reasonable when I can actually get morning emails done on the Shinkansen.
              That thing is going 186 mile an hour at top speed and Shizuoka to Tokyo is like a bus trip. Nice scenery too.
              Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-06-18, 10:20 PM.

Comment

That thing is going 250 mile an hour at top speed and Shizuoka to Tokyo is like a bus trip. Nice scenery too.
                You sure about that top speed there Sparky?
                (300kph = 186mph)
                Fred

Comment

Originally posted by shonanfred View Post
                  You sure about that top speed there Sparky?
                  (300kph = 186mph)
                  Fred
                  Quoted from Wikipedia. the Hikari and Kodama trains are a lot slower. Not sure if Nozomis stop in Shizuoka though. When the maglev starts up you will be able to reach between Tokyo and Osaka in about an hour.

Nozomi (̂?) is the fastest train service running on the Tōkaidō/Sanyō Shinkansen in Japan. The service stops at only the largest stations, and along the stretch between Shin-Osaka and Hakata, Nozomi services using N700 series equipment reach speeds of 300 km/h (186 mph). The trip between Tokyo and Osaka, a distance of 515 kilometres, takes 2 hours 26 minutes on the fastest Nozomi.[1]
                  Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-06-18, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Shizuoka only sees Hikari and Kodama. Mishima gets a Hikari every other hour after 9am or so (until 5pm'ish)

Nozomi goes Tokyo > Shinagawa > Shin-Yokohama (not always) > Nagoya > Kyoto > Shin-Osaka

I don't usually go past Hamamatsu except on business in Osaka or a trip to Kyoto aboard the Nozomi.

The time difference in Kodama and Hikari after Shizuoka station going to Tokyo isn't that big of a difference. I'll need to catch a train from around 8AM to give me enough time to get to Tokyo and have time for coffee or whatever else before settling in.
                    Last edited by ENF; 2012-06-18, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by evilone View Post
                      I think my company (a rather ketchi but fairly major japanese company, you'd know it) sets the limit at either 100 or 120.

I have a fairly trivial 8000/mo single-line 20 minute (about 40-50 door to door) commute from the unfashionable east edge of Tokyo.
                      Thanks for your reply... This seems to be standard among large Japanese companies. I thought I'd get some resistance when I told them I was moving out of Tokyo, but they didn't blink.

Before I move, I'm only just a few subways stops away from our main office. My normal monthly travel fees are 10,000 yen on average before the change.

Comment

Quoted from Wikipedia. the Hikari and Kodama trains are a lot slower. Not sure if Nozomis stop in Shizuoka though. When the maglev starts up you will be able to reach between Tokyo and Osaka in about an hour.

Nozomi (̂?) is the fastest train service running on the Tōkaidō/Sanyō Shinkansen in Japan. The service stops at only the largest stations, and along the stretch between Shin-Osaka and Hakata, Nozomi services using N700 series equipment reach speeds of 300 km/h (186 mph). The trip between Tokyo and Osaka, a distance of 515 kilometres, takes 2 hours 26 minutes on the fastest Nozomi.[1]
                        I think you'll find Nozomi 700 series only does 270 between Tokyo and Osaka, 285 is the top speed for Osaka to Hakata.
                        The 500 series were the only ones to do 300 between Osaka and Hakata, however, they cost 5 billion yen for a 16 car set, the 700s are only 4 billion yen.

Maglev? Ha ha...... The planned Chuo Shinkansen is routed to go through Kofu, on a northerly route, and won't touch Shizuoka, unless you count a tunnel 3,000 metres below the Minami Alps (Akaishi Mountains). Tokyo Nagoya service is planed for 2027,m and Tokyo Osaka for 2045! If they have any power for it!
                        Last edited by trip_hop; 2012-06-18, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trip_hop View Post
                          I think you'll find Nozomi 700 series only does 270 between Tokyo and Osaka, 285 is the top speed for Osaka to Hakata.
                          The 500 series were the only ones to do 300 between Osaka and Hakata, however, they cost 5 billion yen for a 16 car set, the 700s are only 4 billion yen.

Maglev? Ha ha...... The planned Chuo Shinkansen is routed to go through Kofu, on a northerly route, and won't touch Shizuoka, unless you count a tunnel 3,000 metres below the Minami Alps (Akaishi Mountains). Tokyo Nagoya service is planed for 2027,m and Tokyo Osaka for 2045! If they have any power for it!
                          The 500 series used to announce when you hit 300....like they needed to.
                          Maglev is a $pipe dream$ if you ask me....been in development now for about 40 years.
                          Would be cool to be standing on the platform when one of those bad boys blew through though...
                          Fred

Comment

A friend of mine once had a student (we can name names here) who commuted from Osaka to Tokyo daily.

However, the guy did work for JR.......

Comment

not sure of limit but I get about 22,000.

Comment

Working...
                              X