Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Module
Collapse

what's the difference between a PO account and a Bank account?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's the difference between a PO account and a Bank account?

One of the schools I was interested in working at insisted that pay will be done through a P.O account rather than a Bank account. I'm not familiar with the Japanese systems, so what are the benefits of a PO account and how does it work?

Originally posted by wachenroder
    One of the schools I was interested in working at insisted that pay will be done through a P.O account rather than a Bank account. I'm not familiar with the Japanese systems, so what are the benefits of a PO account and how does it work?
    Post office accounts have ATM machines which can be accessed from any post office in the country and you can also pay bills and send money.

Bank accounts you get a cash card and a bank book and you can only use them at your bank's branches. Tough luck if you are visiting in Hokkaido and you have Kyushu bank cash card.PO account is just like a savings account like back home, but the banks and the post office are not interconnected so you can not send money from one to the other or 'cross-pollinate' through ATMs. Post office accounts are convenient as they are everywhere.

Comment

post office accounts are really good. go with it.

Comment

When I was in Okinawa, it was nearly impossible to find a mainland bank's ATM outside of Naho! I think Japanese carry so much cash with them all the time, they don't need to worry about ATMs so much... And they always go on pre-paid package tours. My UFJ card was an international Plus network card, so I managed to get cash out in Okinawa at a post office ATM. My friend didnt end up getting cash out of their SMBC bank account because we didnt come across not one ATM which accepted it. Pretty ridiculous really!!

Comment

If you have a post office account they do transfers to Citibank. But you need to tell them how much you will draw in another country.

Comment

Working...
          X