Getting A Credit Card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting A Credit Card

I've tried twice at my bank UFJ to get a credit card and once at Citibank, to no avail. I've been working/living in Japan for 4 years and I don't have any debt... I'm earning around Y300,000 per month and don't have any expenses. I can't understand why I can't get one!?Has anyone had any luck with other banks?
    Cheers

Originally posted by bigupz
    I've tried twice at my bank UFJ to get a credit card and once at Citibank, to no avail. I've been working/living in Japan for 4 years and I don't have any debt... I'm earning around Y300,000 per month and don't have any expenses. I can't understand why I can't get one!?Has anyone had any luck with other banks?
    Cheers
    i got a creditcard when i signed up with AU
    JCB has a credit card (VISA) called Keitai where you can use the points to pay your keitai bill.
    sometimes its easier to get one of those campaign cards rather than straight from the bank... they all work the same.
    good choices are
    mastercard from COSTCO (very gaijin friendly)
    VISA from LAWSONS or TSUTAYA (you get points when you shop or rent dvd which can be used to buy stuff in LAWSON) actually most conbini have these deals.
    A card from any major department store choice VISA Diners or Mastercard...
    all these cards can be used internationally.

goodluck.

Comment

PS change to SHINSEI BANK they will probably give you a card.

Comment

Glad to know I'm not the only one up thinking up at this time! Thanks heaps for advice

Comment

What requirements do you need in order to get a card as a gaijin? Do you need a minimum length of stay in Japan or minimum salary/period of work?

I really want to get a card at the local SATY for a promotion. Also, what limit they start you out with?

Comment

I got a credit card when I moved into my first apartment. It was part of the deal with MiniTech; they had me pay my rent with a card. Even after I moved out I kept the card. It is with Orico.

From what I've heard, it is very difficult for foreigners to get a cc in this country. I think they're afraid that ppl will run up a huge bill and then run off without paying (like some ppl do with gs.)

What I've heard they look for is how much you make per month, and how long you've had your job. If your salary fluctuates a lot, or you keep jumping jobs, you can probably forget about getting one.

Good luck!

Comment

several cards

Is it possible to get several credit cards?
              Would this be a good thing or a bad thing in terms of credit ratings and history? The reason I ask is because I am thinking about the future and would like to improve my chances of getting a house loan if there was ever a need/opportunity...

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by strobie
                What requirements do you need in order to get a card as a gaijin?
                I am not sure, but it might depend on the visa, that you're on. I got a credit card from JUSCO after only about two months in Japan, when no bank would even dream of giving me one. But then, I was on a spouse visa at that time, which could make things easier. It's all probably the typical japanese "case by case" thing, so just shop around and take, whatever you can lay your hands on.

Good luck
                oceglok

Comment

Getting a credit card

Hi there,

One of requirements for getting a credit card is that you must be able to read the small print and conditions for using the card. It is after all a legal contract! If you can't read Japanese you can't get a credit card because reasonably you don't know what you are signing up to.

No creditable organisation is going to lay itself open to charges of breaking financial law.

It is not enough to have a Japanese translate the conditions for you!

That was the explanation I got from the bank staff last time I tried to get a credit card.

Getting a debit card though is no trouble at all. Maybe that would be sufficient.

Alternatively perhaps a mobile phone and pay using that; though I haven't tried it.

Graham

Comment

Originally posted by justme
                    If you can't read Japanese you can't get a credit card because reasonably you don't know what you are signing up to.
                    LOL, that's another good one! The Japanese never run out of BS ideas, when it comes to politely get rid of a gaijin. I am pretty sure, they added "This is japanese way" to their explanation

oceglok

Comment

Credit Cards

Visa Card from SAISON is good. I got my Visa card from Loft Department Store and JCB from Ito Yokado.
                      Try to get a credit card from Post office.Deposit money and i think you'll get your credit card.I got my Mastercard there.

Comment

Originally posted by BKun
                        Is it possible to get several credit cards?
                        Would this be a good thing or a bad thing in terms of credit ratings and history? The reason I ask is because I am thinking about the future and would like to improve my chances of getting a house loan if there was ever a need/opportunity...
                        Creditors look at a couple of things on your report. One of which is available credit. Ideally, there should be a good balance between your worth and your available credit. In other words, having a million dollar credit line from other creditors only looks good if you can back it up. Otherwise you look risky because you might be trying to max your available credit and then use it and skip town.

Creditors also look for multiple lines of credit. Getting a home loan from a bank now, they will usually ask to see around 3 lines of credit held for over a year. Things like a credit card in good standing, a car or student loans that are paid on time work well for this.

Basically, you want to have around 3 lines of credit and keep them active and paid forever. Those people telling you to cut up your cards aren't neccessarily correct.

Comment

Sorry for two in a row, but for cards in Japan, be careful of fees. Yearly fees for the priviledge of carrying their card is pretty common in Japan especially for AmEx. The card from Shinsei as mention earlier is an AmEx that is free for the first year and then gets downright expensive just to have it, not including their above average rates.

The Visa Saison, also mentioned, is a great deal and free to use. If you go to Lawson or something every day, then their card might be better, but otherwise, I'd try Saison.

Also, to the person who mentioned using a keitai to pay, you have to program the phone with credit card info in most cases.

Comment

Just keep applying. You will get one eventually. Just make sure it is filled out in Japanese and get a hanko. They will probably call your place of employment to confirm that you work there.

Comment

if you join a KONAMI Sports Club they will issue you with a credit card with low fees

Comment

Working...
                              X