Working Holiday Visa Tax Refund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working Holiday Visa Tax Refund

I came to Japan in August 2007 on a Working Holiday Visa and started working as a freelance musician in September. I'm a complete novice when it comes to filing taxes, but I have all of the necessary gensen from my agencies and employers. I'm planning on filing everything in the next couple of weeks but I'm curious as to whether I will have to pay an excess or whether I will get some kind of a refund. I've been averaging about 500,000 yen per month paying 10% tax for each job. I only worked here for the last four months of 2007 so I will be only filing for that time. Does anyone have any idea what the outcome might be? Am I likely to get stung by taxes or is a refund more likely? Any advice much appreciated!

Same tax rates for WHV holders as everyone else?

Someone recently posted that their tax rate on a WHV was 20%. Do you know if that is just the rate at which taxes are to be withheld and they ultimately pay the same rates as everyone else or do WHV holders fall under some special tax category?

Do you know if your income was considered "employment income" or is your income going to fall under the "misc. income?"

It will make a difference.
    Last edited by Really!; 2008-02-28, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Taxes on a WHV???

So I am in the same boat as this(kinda). I have been working at this one place for the last little while and I have a month left before I go home. The just informed me that he hasn't been taking the tax deductions off of my paycheck. He is telling me no that I will owe 20% of all my earnings.
      I was wondering if a tax refund is at all possible before I go home. Or is there even such a thing when your on a WHV.
      I just have no idea about this kinda stuff so any info would be great thanx!

Comment

Originally posted by teddybear25x
        I was wondering if a tax refund is at all possible before I go home. Or is there even such a thing when your on a WHV.

Easiest thing is not file a tax return. As far as tax office is concerned you dont exist and no one will chase you down. You dont need to file a return if you earn under a certain amount, something like 2 million yen a year.

If you have been having 20% of your wages taken out taken out then the tax office will calculate the difference between what you have been paying and what you should be paying on the normal rate, take out any taxable deductions and pay you a refund.

Not sure how it works but tax office usually has someone who speaks English to help you.

Comment

You cant get a refund if you havent been paying any income tax in the first place. Employer didnt take it out and just paid you under the table.

Comment

So I am in the same boat as this(kinda). I have been working at this one place for the last little while and I have a month left before I go home. The just informed me that he hasn't been taking the tax deductions off of my paycheck. He is telling me no that I will owe 20% of all my earnings.
            Does that make him in violation of the law? I'd say consult a lawyer or at least contact the JAWHVM.
            http://www.jawhm.or.jp/eng/index.html

Again, JAWHVM.

Comment

Working...
            X