Filing taxes - but I moved?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filing taxes - but I moved?

I know, I know. This is cutting it a little close. But I have all the numbers ready to go - I just need to know what to do about the address.

Last year (for 2010), I filed my taxes with the place I lived - Ibaraki, Osaka. Things went fine, got my refund, went on my merry way.

This past July I moved to Toyonaka, Osaka. So from the start of the year until nearly the end of July, I lived in Ibaraki, Osaka. From then until now, I lived in Toyonaka.

Ibaraki mailed me my tax forms to do my taxes again this year. All well and good - except that I just noticed it has the old address on them in Ibaraki. I tried to call the phone number on the English version of the National Tax website - but no one there seemed to actually speak English. My manager tried to call the city tax office for me, but she says they claim I need to go to the tax office in Ikeda. I don't even live in Ikeda, and I am really getting confused now.

I thought there was something about filing based on the address you lived at on January 1 of the year - and for 2011 (as this is my 2011 taxes) I lived in Ibaraki, so the address would be correct. But maybe that was only for city tax?

Basically - does anyone know which address I need to list... and anyone have any idea which tax office I should direct my return to when I finally fill it out?

Thanks!

Originally posted by kecchin View Post
    Basically - does anyone know which address I need to list... and anyone have any idea which tax office I should direct my return to when I finally fill it out?

Thanks!
    I just checked the Tax office in Ikeda, it is the local office that accepts tax returns for Toyonaka-shi, Ikeda-shi and Minoo-shi. The number is 072-751-2441

http://www.nta.go.jp/osaka/guide/zeimusho/osaka.htm

This is the office for your local area.

Comment

Thanks KansaiBen. My manager is a sweet lady, but even she was looking confused when I explained what I was asking, so when she came at me with "Ikeda" I thought perhaps there was a miscommunication somewhere.

Any ideas on which office I actually need to file to - the one whose municipality I lived in on January 1, 2011; or the one I live in now?

Comment

Any ideas on which office I actually need to file to - the one whose municipality I lived in on January 1, 2011; or the one I live in now?
        No idea, my guess is its all computerised and they will be able to dig up your previous tax filings and they have your records on a database. Maybe you dont need to go back to Ibaraki, and the people at Ikeda will be able to set you straight.

PS the yearly taxes are calculated up until January (so you can file in February). so last years taxes will include January February and March up until January of this year. Tax office simply wants to know where you were living until January so they can work out your resident taxes (or rather the city office)
        Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-03-13, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks KansaiBen. My manager is a sweet lady, but even she was looking confused when I explained what I was asking, so when she came at me with "Ikeda" I thought perhaps there was a miscommunication somewhere.

See page 24 of http://www.nta.go.jp/tetsuzuki/shink...011/pdf/43.pdf.

Comment

Where were you registered as of Jan 1st? This is how they determine which office you pay your taxes to.

Comment

Which Tax Office?

For two years - when I lived close to Osaka - I went to the main Osaka tax office in Chuo-ku. I moved the following April and when I turned up in Chuo-ku the following year they again helped me complete the paperwork but said it had to be lodged at Ibaraki - so they said they would forward it through their internal mail system to Ibaraki for me.

Then last year - again at Chuo-ku - they told me that I really should be going to the Ibaraki office directly (I had thought it was just a recommendation rather than a rule)....so they re-directed me with my completed paperwork (which they again helped me complete). They even printed out a map for me from google maps and highlighted the walk from the station. When I got to Ibaraki I just had to hand over the paperwork and have my copy stamped.

This year I went to Ibaraki and they also helped me with the paperwork and then accepted my lodgement.

Honestly, the tax office people are extremely helpful and friendly so I imagine that wherever you go, they will help you complete the paperwork and then point you in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinysim View Post
                Honestly, the tax office people are extremely helpful and friendly so I imagine that wherever you go, they will help you complete the paperwork and then point you in the right direction.
                remember also that the taxes end up in the national coffers, not in the city ones so it really shouldnt matter which office you go to as its all computerised.Go to the closest one to your house, even if its not the one in the area you lived last year.

Comment

Working...
                X