Transferring money to the UK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring money to the UK

I'm going to be transferring money to the UK fairly regularly over the next few months. I just made a transfer of 1000 pounds last week, but I got charged 4000 yen by shinsei bank, as well as a 12 pound fee from someone somewhere in the middle. This is pretty steep (nearing 6000 yen), so I'd like to find something a little cheaper. I used to do post office money orders back in the day to Canada, they were 1000 yen I think (or 2000?). Do they still offer this? Does anyone know how much they cost? Any other recommended methods?

In this case, paypal isn't an option, or it's probably what I would use.

Edit: I did look at Lloyds TSB, but it appears they charge 2000 yen, plus 0.1% at a minimum of 1500 yen - so their base charge is 3500 yen plus the intermediary fee. This is slightly better than Shinsei, but still a little too much in my books.

I post Traveler's cheques by registered mail along with a paying-in slip. Never failed. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
      I'm going to be transferring money to the UK fairly regularly over the next few months. I just made a transfer of 1000 pounds last week, but I got charged 4000 yen by shinsei bank, as well as a 12 pound fee from someone somewhere in the middle. This is pretty steep (nearing 6000 yen), so I'd like to find something a little cheaper. I used to do post office money orders back in the day to Canada, they were 1000 yen I think (or 2000?). Do they still offer this? Does anyone know how much they cost? Any other recommended methods?

In this case, paypal isn't an option, or it's probably what I would use.

Edit: I did look at Lloyds TSB, but it appears they charge 2000 yen, plus 0.1% at a minimum of 1500 yen - so their base charge is 3500 yen plus the intermediary fee. This is slightly better than Shinsei, but still a little too much in my books.
      Not used Lloyds TSB for a few years, but they also provided a poor exchange rate on top of the charges and I definitely had to pay 12 pounds at the other end with them. Shinsei only charge 1 yen per pound on the exchange rate, less if you are a Gold or Platinum Customer.
      Last edited by cucashopboy; 2012-04-24, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by veracotti View Post
        I post Traveler's cheques by registered mail along with a paying-in slip. Never failed. YMMV.
        What is a paying-in slip, and what does YMMV mean?

Comment

Originally posted by cucashopboy View Post
          Not used Lloyds TSB for a few years, but they also provided a poor exchange rate on top of the charges and I definitely had to pay 12 pounds at the other end with them. Shinsei only charge 1 yen per pound on the exchange rate, less if you are a Gold or Platinum Customer.
          I never really thought about the actual rate itself, that's a good thing to consider.

Comment

No one else?

Comment

Originally posted by veracotti View Post

But then you lose out on the crap exchange rate vs direct transfer.

Comment

What is a paying-in slip, and what does YMMV mean?
                Paying-in slip = deposit slip
                YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

That'll be 2000 yen, please. I do take PayPal.

Comment

post office

Hey I usually use JP Post for making a money transfer, it usually costs 2,500yen for the transfer and there is usually a charge from the receiving bank account.

Hope this helps! But yeah its pretty expensive to transfer money from Japan. Good Luck!

Comment

I wonder if we all suffer from short-term memory loss.

Money transfer issues have been beaten to death, buried, dug up again, put through a mincer, cremated and scattered on the mountain. There are NO cheaper options than the ones that always get listed: Post Office, GoLloyds, bank transfer, travellers' checks.

The rates are the same now as they always have been, there is no miracle cure to this condition.

--

Comment

Originally posted by mr.sumo.snr View Post
                      I wonder if we all suffer from short-term memory loss.

Money transfer issues have been beaten to death, buried, dug up again, put through a mincer, cremated and scattered on the mountain. There are NO cheaper options than the ones that always get listed: Post Office, GoLloyds, bank transfer, travellers' checks.

The rates are the same now as they always have been, there is no miracle cure to this condition.

--
                      I completely disagree: https://www.moneyswap.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tequilla View Post
                        I completely disagree: https://www.moneyswap.com/
                        Fee details please.

It's possible to find them on the website (with a bit of a search) but I'm sure we'd all prefer to hear from someone who's used the service first-hand.

Cheers in advance.

--

Comment

I could find the buy and sell rates, but I couldn't find any service charges.

Comment

I could find the buy and sell rates, but I couldn't find any service charges.
                            In the Terms and Conditions section - which in itself tends to get the BS radar bleeping, though I am more than happy to be proved wrong. If there really IS a service available that offers rates at half a yen off the telegraphic rate (as Shinsei Platinum does) plus a transfer fee of less than 2000 yen (GoLloyds) - then I'm sold.

--

Comment

As far as I could tell go lloyds charges 2000 plus a minimum of 1500 yen on top, making it a minimum charge of 3500 yen.

Comment

Working...
                              X