Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distance Learning for MA in Japanese Language

Hi hi,

I'm new to here and came to Japan almost 1 year, but still can't really handle the language. Noted that Uni. of Sheffield have the MA in Japanese Language, any comments about it ? What other uni. will u guys recommend for distance learning ? I already have a BS degree from the U.S (not major in Japanese), what else I can choose ?

I prefer to have a MA rather than spend time in language school...any comments ?

Thanks
    tenka

Originally posted by tenka
    Hi hi,

I'm new to here and came to Japan almost 1 year, but still can't really handle the language. Noted that Uni. of Sheffield have the MA in Japanese Language, any comments about it ? What other uni. will u guys recommend for distance learning ? I already have a BS degree from the U.S (not major in Japanese), what else I can choose ?

I prefer to have a MA rather than spend time in language school...any comments ?

Thanks
    tenka
    Tenka,

I believe the Sheffield course requires you to have aquite a high level of Kanji, as there is a lot of reading involved. Its not really a beginners course.

I am doing a distance degree in linguistics with Birmingham University but not in Japanese. I can give you info on the basics of distance study if you are interested. I believe the Sheffield course is quite good and you can do your residency in japan. No need to go to the UK.

Comment

Re: MA study in Japanese

Originally posted by paulh
      Tenka,

I believe the Sheffield course requires you to have aquite a high level of Kanji, as there is a lot of reading involved. Its not really a beginners course.

I am doing a distance degree in linguistics with Birmingham University but not in Japanese. I can give you info on the basics of distance study if you are interested. I believe the Sheffield course is quite good and you can do your residency in japan. No need to go to the UK.

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. I would like to have more info on the basic of distance study, and also the info on Uni. of Birmingham also, please.
      Besides, any other options will you recommend ?

Is Sheffield accredited by Japanese Dept. of Education ?

Thanks again,
      tenka

Comment

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. I would like to have more info on the basic of distance study, and also the info on Uni. of Birmingham also, please.
        Besides, any other options will you recommend ?

Is Sheffield accredited by Japanese Dept. of Education ?

Thanks again,
        tenka
        Sheffield is accredited by the British Education ministry as an institution of higher learning and its credits and degrees are accepted anywhere in the world. The only place distance degrees are not accepted is in Taiwan and parts of the Middle east. British university degrees are accepted and recognised by universities here.

The Birmingham page is on http://www.bham.ac.uk

I spent 3 weeks at the home campus in Birmingham in March. I have finished my Masters and am now working on a doctorate by distance with Birmingham.

I dont know so much about the Sheffield degree but I have written some info about distance learning at the bottom of the following page with links to MA degrees

http://www.teachinginjapan.com/continuinged.html

Scroll down the bottom of the page.

Comment

Daniel Dunkley (1997) in his article on distance learning programs, offers some useful points to consider when making a decision on which distance learning program to choose, some points are also applicable to studying at a branch campus in Japan. Before embarking on a Master's program he asks you to consider the following:

As with any postgraduate program, a student thinking of embarking on a postgraduate program must weigh up numerous factors that will determine which course they will enter: cost of tuition, books, travel expenses to attend classes etc; "convenience" for the student e.g. the location of the campus--does it require extensive train travel, and does it fit in with the teacher's busy work schedule? The particular course of study, the reputation of the institution, the ease of transfer of credits will also be important factors. These considerations will vary from program to program and for individual teachers. (On a personal note, the deciding factor for me doing my degree at TUJ was that despite the relatively high cost of tuition it was possible to complete the degree while attending to my regular job, it did not greatly interfere with my teaching schedule, avoiding the need to travel overseas to meet residency requirements or to meet professors. Branch campuses also are in the process of developing extensive library facilities to include a wide selection of books, journals and academic articles for writing publications and assignments. Professors at TUJ are very accessible, friendly and helpful, and there is the chance to interact regularly with other students and staff. Many students in the program form small study groups when preparing assignments and for the final Comprehensive Exam. There is also an active graduate alumni association whereby present doctoral and former graduate students of the program throughout Japan can also network with other teachers for jobs and contacts).

Time: Can I afford two or more years or give up most of my evenings or weekends to complete the coursework? Am I free most evenings when classes are held?

Money: Can I afford to complete the course? The Temple program costs over two million yen over several years and the Columbia program about 2.7 million yen over three summers. (Graduates and alumni of the TUJ program are permitted to audit weekend seminars for free and attend regular 3-credit courses at a significant discount).

Entrance requirements: Do I have the necessary tertiary qualifications e.g. a good Bachelors degree; G.P.A. scores; academic transcripts and developed academic writing skills? If I am a native-Japanese speaker, do I have a TOEFL score of 550 to enter the course?

Location: Do I live near a campus and/or would I be able to attend classes regularly? Will commuting be a problem when deciding to attend classes? Will I have access to the library or resource materials for completing assignments?

Resources/Equipment: Do I have access to email, personal computer and word processor facilities? Is there a convenient (university) library for obtaining research materials and journals?

Goals and Motivation: Am I sufficiently interested and motivated in teaching, and the course content appeals to me such that I want to devote considerable time, energy and financial resources to completing the program? Am I motivated enough to research numerous articles on ESL to increase my knowledge about teaching? What kind of job, or area of specialty do I want to pursue, after graduation? If I am Japanese, am I confident of my academic reading and writing skills ?

Comment

Hi hi,

Thanks
            tenka
            What would you like your Masters to be in? Does it have to be Japanese? The link I offered below offers several degree courses in TESOL, Linguistics but the Sheffield one is the only one I know of that offers Japanese by distance.

A lot will depend on your goals and what you want to do with your degree.

Comment

Re:

I am responding on this thread too late but want to share source for online colleges and universities and hopefully it will be helpful to others. I can recommend you a web site which has a database of many online schools and colleges; Theonlineschools.net is your guide to accredited online colleges and universities to help you match your career goals with an online education program that is right for you.
              http://www.theonlineschools.net

Comment

Originally posted by PaulBerry View Post
                I am responding on this thread too late but want to share source for online colleges and universities and hopefully it will be helpful to others. I can recommend you a web site which has a database of many online schools and colleges; Theonlineschools.net is your guide to accredited online colleges and universities to help you match your career goals with an online education program that is right for you.
                http://www.theonlineschools.net
                I just checked that site and one of them Capella is a diploma mill. I'm sure there are others, including Walden.

Look before you leap.

Comment

Like you did?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacque_S View Post
                    Like you did?
                    Birmingham is not a diploma mill but a recognised accrediited university in the UK. I actually visited the campus there. Big difference between distance learning and a diploma mill off the Internet.

Comment

Like what? The distance between you and Birmingham?

Comment

What is a diploma mill? Arent all of these courses a diploma mill? ie turning out diplomas?

Comment

Diploma Mill?

Actually, I agree, Daijoubu.

What is the difference between an internet university and a... uh... "real" university like Birmingham?
                          From what I understand, there are professors, courses, units, and all of the required elements at an online Uni.
                          Is it just that the professors have more experience? Lessons are televised? Students are walking on a campus somewhere? ....

Just wondering....

Comment

i cannot speak for all of those universities but KansaiBen is right. CNN has even done a few stories on it. You don:t have to go to an ivy league but do make sure your choice has a good reputation.

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-09-02/l...n?_s=PM:LIVING

http://www.clicker.com/tv/cnn-money/...usted-1039118/

and some more to if you search around

Comment

Does anyone know about the setup of this Sheffield degree? All just doing work and self study or do you need to show up for online lectures?
                              Costs?

Comment

Working...
                              X