Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a passport but no post-sec education

Hey all,

I've been perusing the forums for a while now (ok and having some laughs at the "Laborer" thread). Anyways, I'm going to Tokyo (Suginami) on July 5th. I'm staying until August 20th - so not very long.

I have a Japanese passport, but I've only just graduated high school. I'm willing to work for little or no money, as long as I'm doing something while I'm there!

A few pieces of info that are pretty important are: I don't speak Japanese well, although I understand it fairly fluently (my mother is Japanese - thus the passport), I am 17, I speak English and French fluently and I have had previous experience working at movie theatres, daycare centres, etc.

So, with all these pieces of information - do I have a chance at getting some sort of employment? And can someone help me out as to where I should apply and so on? I've heard I could perhaps volunteer at a Jukku or something. I've been to a few sites - but for most of the offers you actually have to be in Tokyo at the moment.

Soo thanks for any help you all could offer!

Sonya

EDITed to fix a typo and to say that if anyone thinks this could get a better response in a different forum - be sure to point it out to me! =)
    Last edited by sonya_w; 2006-06-24, 05:53 AM. Reason: Edited to fix a typo and to say that if anyone thinks this could get a better response in a different forum - be sure to point it out to me!

As you are only coming for a few weeks, it really would be difficult finding any sort of employment, why not just enjoy your time here. Suginami is a nice area in Tokyo and surely you must have some friends there. However, if you really want to do something, you could check around the local neighbourhood.

Comment

A Japanese passport? That means you are Japanese (probably dual nationality). So a visa would probably not be necessary.

However, at your age and language level, and definitely because of the shortness of your stay, your chances of finding work are practically zero.

Come and enjoy your vacation.

Comment

Sigh, all right.

It is a very short time. I will give my neighborhood a look, though.

Thanks for your input anyways!

Comment

sonya w.

If you want to make a little bit of spending cash you can stop by and give my apartment a good spring cleaning. I also need my dry cleaning taken care of and my futons/sheets changed. And my receipts organized. Also looking to get a prep table in my kitchen, so I want you to shop around for something nice and sturdy.

Anyway, I'll make a checklist, give you directions and you can come out at your convenience.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Morning Star
            sonya w.

If you want to make a little bit of spending cash you can stop by and give my apartment a good spring cleaning. I also need my dry cleaning taken care of and my futons/sheets changed. And my receipts organized. Also looking to get a prep table in my kitchen, so I want you to shop around for something nice and sturdy.

Anyway, I'll make a checklist, give you directions and you can come out at your convenience.

Regards

Don't trust this guy he's an evil nasty one.

Comment

Suffering is not approval

Originally posted by SolidarityAlex
              As opposed to a homophobic neo-nazi. But I'm writing on water, evidently this board gives you its approval.
              Well, if suffering his odious presence is approval, then I may be guilty, but I'm not going to burn for this one.

Mind you, go read his "40 years and then an email" thread. Makes you almost want to think he is quasi-human.

Also, the bits where he admits that his parents are also half-siblings makes for hilarious antipodean anthropology.

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane

Also, the bits where he admits that his parents are also half-siblings makes for hilarious antipodean anthropology.
                Shut the fack up you inbred Canadian ___got.

I'll hunt you down and sell you to a gay bath house.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenski
                  A Japanese passport? That means you are Japanese (probably dual nationality). So a visa would probably not be necessary.
                  If I recall correctly, Japan doesn't allow for dual-citizenship. Though yeah, if you have a Japanese passport, entering shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaizen
                    If I recall correctly, Japan doesn't allow for dual-citizenship. Though yeah, if you have a Japanese passport, entering shouldn't be a problem.

The OP has just finished high school and below the age of 20 can have 2 nationalities. After that he has to choose. If he is a Us citizen its quite possible the Us allows dual nationality. If one or both parents are Japanese then kids can get it as well.

Comment

You do not recall correctly.

Dual citizenship is permitted until 22, and may also be possible afterwards; there are some unique circumstances described under under sections 11-15-18 of the Nationality Act if you care to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by ylgu era snijiag
                        u have a japanese passport = japanese nationlity.

you are just like any other japanese 17 year old looking for a job in japan. but u really have to learn japanese.

Perhaps you can tell me what a 17 year kid who cant speak the language can do in Japan, and then we'll both know.

Comment

Blind leading the blind

uuuuh man did u read my " but u have to learn japanese" comment? i telled her to learn japanese then she can find work as . she can work in mcdonalds in japan? or any store like that? do some labor? finding work in japan is easy if u have japanese passport, its just a matter of a crappyjob.

Yes he/she has a passport. that is no guarantee that an employer will hire them if they can not speak Japanese. With 10 million high school kids here who speak Japanese I dont know why they'd hire a 'foreigner'.

Crappy jobs are probably all thats available to them with no work skills.
                          Last edited by paulh; 2006-06-28, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trip_hop
                            You do not recall correctly.

Dual citizenship is permitted until 22, and may also be possible afterwards; there are some unique circumstances described under under sections 11-15-18 of the Nationality Act if you care to read it.
                            Possible afterwards?
                            "People who have acquired Japanese nationality through naturalization, or by filing a declaration of acquisition of Japanese nationality, but who did not forfeit their former foreign nationality, must also choose which nationality they wish to hold. "
                            Taken from http://tokyo.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-7118b.html

Can you give me a link to that 11-15-18 section? I wasn't aware of the below-22 thing, but I checked out the whole nationality thing after reading Arudou's naturalization essay a long time ago.

leme guess u are white guy who loves japan? this is just my sterotyping to u dont mind it.
                            Wrong, I'm not white...

Comment

I have a copy of the relevant law written in a book - there is no link.

Try a library.....

There is much more information available on Japan than arudo's site and the US embassy, they are not particularly comprehensive, and for that matter, neither is the internet.

Comment

Working...
                              X