X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osaka Jobs. Employment guides?

I have been in Osaka for 5 days now. I am starting my search for some kind of work. I would prefer a job in business setting but an open to just about anything. I have Bachelors degrees from USA in Business and Anthropology. Does anyone know of any gaijin employment tools/agencies in the Osaka area that I could use as help? All the postings on this site are teaching jobs. Any advice/guidence would be great! oh yea, and does anyone know where the Ice Rink is near Osaka University? I need to play some hockey real bad... and could maybe use a tour guide for a couple days to show me the ropes of the trains, subways and monorails..... PM me if interested!! thanks!

Originally posted by cherrydrew1
    I have been in Osaka for 5 days now. I am starting my search for some kind of work. I would prefer a job in business setting but an open to just about anything. I have Bachelors degrees from USA in Business and Anthropology. Does anyone know of any gaijin employment tools/agencies in the Osaka area that I could use as help? All the postings on this site are teaching jobs. Any advice/guidence would be great! oh yea, and does anyone know where the Ice Rink is near Osaka University? I need to play some hockey real bad... and could maybe use a tour guide for a couple days to show me the ropes of the trains, subways and monorails..... PM me if interested!! thanks!

There are no employment agencies for gaijins. Only Hello Work which is the unemployment office

Try Kansai Flea Market for hobs http://www.kfm.to or http://www.kto.co.jp

here is a skating rink which is in Kadoma-city which I think is near Osaka University

http://www.namihayadome.gr.jp/
    Last edited by paulh; 2006-08-04, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Cherry,
      You sound a bit out of your league. Do yourself a favor and sign up with the nearest and ____iest language school you can find that promises you a visa.
      Forget the male modelling lark or the 'Hello Work' - you have to speak Japanese! - and get your English teacher dancing monkey suit on.
      Build on solid foundations.
      Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Varus
        Cherry,
        You sound a bit out of your league. Do yourself a favor and sign up with the nearest and ____iest language school you can find that promises you a visa.
        Forget the male modelling lark or the 'Hello Work' - you have to speak Japanese! - and get your English teacher dancing monkey suit on.
        Good luck!
        Yes, the Welcoming Committee already has all positions filled...the most recent by Skippy (AKA Varus -- just so the newbies can follow).

As well-intentioned as your advice probably was meant to be, perhaps (just perhaps) there MAY (just may) have been a slightly (yes, ever so slight) different way to say this. Consider this if you will.

Let us try to make friends; at the very least, not enemies. Shall we try that today, class? Skippy will be the leader. Skippy...

Comment

Hey Greek Girl!
          I was being nice.
          You should have seen the non diplomatic version.
          I know where Cherry's coming from, but, and this is the important but, japan is not a country to be unemployed in and looking for work.
          Do the crap jobs and then look for the quality work.
          He's in Osaka not Athens, where a couple of drachmas will buy him a meal, a bed and your sister thrown in for good luck.

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
            Last edited by steeny; 2006-12-15, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Varus
              Cherry,
              Good luck!

So which schools are the "____iest" as you say? I thought they were all ____ty.

Comment

So which schools are the "____iest" as you say? I thought they were all ____ty.

____ty depends on what level of humiliation and desperation you are willing to endure. NOVA AEON and GEOS are huge corporations and are known quantities and WYSIWYG. Just because they dont meet up to your ideal of a perfect job doesnt make them ____ty. You dont qualify for anything better, with no experience. Beggars cant be choosers.

ZIAC/Zenken is one helluva ____ty place to work for though. One of the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by paulh
                  ZIAC/Zenken is one helluva ____ty place to work for though. One of the worst.

But, as long as you have a heart beat and are from an English speaking country, they will hire you.

Comment

Hello mate,

About looking for jobs in Osaka, as far as I know there is not a Hello Work there so one of the best places to go is Osaka Central building 9th floor. There is a company there which helps foreigners get jobs. The majority of people who use their services are students looking for a job after studying the Japanese language in Japan.

There jobs listings are taken from the Hello Work national database, so most of the jobs require some sort of Japanese ability.

I am looking for IT work in Kyoto myself but no luck yet. It proven to be quite difficult, I wish you all the best

^大阪センタービル

Last edited by tamagoyaki; 2006-08-15, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Other options

One more drop of experience:
                      Paulh is not right about no agencies for gaijins.
                      There is at least one recruiting agency that focuses on foreigners. It's Tempstaff Universal. This is a Tokyo based company, but some months ago they opened a branch in Kyoto. I had talked to them, there is at least one consultant speaking fluent English, he lived in USA for 20 years.
                      Check www.tempuniversal.co.jp for location in Kyoto (it's just near Kyoto JR), and Kyoto Prefectural International Center website (www.kpic.or.jp) to apply for job consulting session. Yes, they expect you to speak some Japanese and your education doesn't seem to be in demand here, but you rather talk to professionals about it than let some net inhabitants raise their self esteem for your expense here.

If you don't want to be an English monkey, there is an option of factory work (at least one in Osaka area, check Kansai Flea Market, they have online version at www.kfm.to). I've worked at such a factory once upon a time. Hard physical work, start at 8, one 10-minute break in 2 hours, plus 40 minutes for lunch at 12, end at 5, can take overtimes if you need extra money. 1000 yen/hour. And I haven't noticed any humiliation or desperation there, so at least you have this choice. If you're young and healthy you can work there and study Japanese every evening. There are lots of options to learn Japanese for free if you can't pay for it, you just have to pay with extra time. But in any case you *must* spend at least an hour every day (plus all holidays) within a year to get some progress in Japanese. And if you don't do it, you hardly can expect a lot of fun of being here. Even if you move to Tokyo.

One more option is to focus to IT related work. If you don't have enough experience in development or technical support, then it's the same as studying Japanese (or you can combine both) - forget about hockey and every free hour you have - read books, install a virtual machine in your PC and practice with anything that is in demand. But if you study just IT without Japanese, you have to look for job in Tokyo. There are some websites to check for jobs which do not require Japanese language - ______, ___________, maybe a couple more, but really not much.

And one more hint. Just to make up your own mind about what you can and cannot get here, check Osaka International Community House website, read everything there (not so much to read) and attend a couple of free counselling session for foreigners (there is a schedule at website), ask your questions there and talk to other visitors, start building your own contact network. I think when you combine what you know out there and what you can read in the forum, you get better understanding of your options here.

Hope you make good use of all this.
                      Good luck,
                      Serge.

P.S. This website blocks the competitors' addresses. Strange attitude for XXI century, seems some fossil-minded decision maker still can't get used to live in information society. I apologize for this pain in (*censored*), but if you need these websites, you have to reverse the spelling below and remove all dashes and doubles to get the main names, then add www and dotcom as needed for both - bB-oOo-jjjJj-II-aaa-Dd, ssSs-Ooo-rrR-cCc-rRrr-eeE-Rr-aa-ccC (the last has double e and double s). Also look at the graphic attachment, maybe they don't check everything manually.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by SergWerg; 2006-08-15, 01:08 PM. Reason: Fossil-minded competition policy

Comment

Good advice SergWerg

Comment

Originally posted by tamagoyaki
                          Good advice SergWerg

Thanx.
                          Cool picture.
                          Gone to my collection.
                          Last edited by SergWerg; 2006-08-15, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X