Interior Design

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior Design

Hello! I am going to become an English Teacher soon in Tokyo but I want to own my own interior design (my major) business down the line. I was thinking of maybe starting online and helping a few customers at a time until my business can expand and I can hire co-workers. I know basic Japanese (and taking more and more classes all the time) and Native English & Spanish. I plan on living in Japan for many years and if possible for the rest of my life.

Is their any tips on starting my own business in Tokyo or any other helpful information I might need to know. I do not know much about starting my own business sadly.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by steeny; 2006-12-07, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Confusing

I have but a lot of terms are confusing. Like "INCUBATORS" and "LOGISTICAL".
      Last edited by serenityd9; 2006-12-01, 12:49 PM.

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Last edited by steeny; 2006-12-07, 05:59 PM.

Comment

I dont see why it matters weither I am going to be an English teacher or a Spanish teacher. All I keep seeing is "buy this book" (which is about $80 in the USA and will become outdated by the time I actually start) or "look it up" when it's basically people fighting about the same thing over and over.

I just want to know would it even be worth it to try an idea like that. Would it be a lot of paper work and if there is only a certain type of visa I would need? Would I need to spend a lot of money other then for the domain it's self?

From what I've read, a lot of other interior designers are looking for jobs. Hopefully I could start a firm down the line from there.

Comment

Originally posted by serenityd9
            I dont see why it matters weither I am going to be an English teacher or a Spanish teacher. All I keep seeing is "buy this book" (which is about $80 in the USA and will become outdated by the time I actually start) or "look it up" when it's basically people fighting about the same thing over and over.

I just want to know would it even be worth it to try an idea like that. Would it be a lot of paper work and if there is only a certain type of visa I would need? Would I need to spend a lot of money other then for the domain it's self?

From what I've read, a lot of other interior designers are looking for jobs. Hopefully I could start a firm down the line from there.
            Starting a business in Japan can be as easy as registering yourself as a sole propritor and trying to find clients. Note that the income you make as a SP is personal income. You can write off your expenses as a SP, so keep all your receipts.

You should try to do it! Don't let others squash your ideas. One of the things that works in Japan is to "think outside of the box". So, you will want to meet up with archetects (SIC...I know). There are a few in Japan and they may be willing to give you a try. Otherwise, get involved with the foreign community and advertise your services in magazines/publications like Metropolis, EI, Tokyo Weekender, and maybe even Japan Times.

Books are fine if they are about what you do, I haven't found too many good Japanese business books. Most of us in business here learn from others or by trial and error. You should too.

That brings me to another point. There are a couple of good small business groups in Tokyo. One I can think of off-hand is the Pink Cow Conspiracy. You can find them through google. The meet at a bar (I can't remember its name), and I've heard good things about them. Another group is the Tokyo Entreprenure Association (SIC I know...I'm not an English teacher). They focus on small business/foreign business owners. They're a good group.

So, that should give you a start. Don't forget, follow your dreams.

Comment

Thank you very very much survivorfan, you have been really helpful! Its good to know that Japan offers good support for businesses even for foreigners. I am can already make my own wedsites so I think I will have a lot of fun with this challenge too. Inertior Design is all about thinking outside the box in boxes.

Hope you're making your dreams come true as well.

One last question, so to become 'sole propritor', do I need any certain types of visa?

Comment

Entrepreneur Association of Tokyo (I think you have to pay to be a member)
                http://www.ea-tokyo.com/

SIC
                http://www.sic-japan.com/main/A01.html
                http://www.google.com/translate?u=ht...&hl=en&ie=UTF8
                (In English)

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                  Last edited by steeny; 2006-12-11, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by serenityd9

One last question, so to become 'sole propritor', do I need any certain types of visa?
                    Well, I have a Permanent Resident visa, so I was good to go. I know the visa people are sticky when it comes to working within the confinds of your visa.

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      Last edited by steeny; 2006-12-24, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X