Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top

Top Module
Collapse

Sliding Scale for Rates Charged to Individual Students in Group English Lessons

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sliding Scale for Rates Charged to Individual Students in Group English Lessons

    I have been trying to find information about rates currently charged in the marketplace. I have been able to determine what is typically charged for one to one lessons. The range for what is commonly charged appears to be 2,500 yen to 5,000 yen per hour. Of course, some teachers charge less, and some charge more than the rates in that range. So far, I have not found much information about group rates. I know many teachers use a sliding scale system: the greater the number of students in a lesson, the less each student pays. However, I am not sure how much I should reduce the one to one rate for each student who wants to take lessons in a pair or group. For example, if the one to one rate is 4,000 yen per hour, what would be an appropriate rate for each student studying in a pair, in a group of three, in a group of four, and so on?

    I was wondering if anyone could provide or direct me to guidelines related to calculating rates for pairs or groups using a sliding scale system.

    Thank you.

  • #2
    Originally posted by out-of-town
    I have been trying to find information about rates currently charged in the marketplace. I have been able to determine what is typically charged for one to one lessons. The range for what is commonly charged appears to be 2,500 yen to 5,000 yen per hour. Of course, some teachers charge less, and some charge more than the rates in that range. So far, I have not found much information about group rates. I know many teachers use a sliding scale system: the greater the number of students in a lesson, the less each student pays. However, I am not sure how much I should reduce the one to one rate for each student who wants to take lessons in a pair or group. For example, if the one to one rate is 4,000 yen per hour, what would be an appropriate rate for each student studying in a pair, in a group of three, in a group of four, and so on?

    I was wondering if anyone could provide or direct me to guidelines related to calculating rates for pairs or groups using a sliding scale system.

    Thank you.
    There is to my knowledge no 'marketplace. You charge whatever students are willing to pay you for a group lesson. you are self employed, you are the boss and decide what students will pay. If they dont like it they go elsewhere, Stop thinking like an employee who has to seek consensus or permission on what to charge.

    I dont really teach groups but in practice I will charge 500 yen less per student per hour as the number of students increases. e.g. 3,000 yen for one student, 2,500 yen each for two, 2,000 yen for 3 students and so on. You have no other major expenses and outgoings apart from textbooks and it can appear you are simply greedy, and students will shop around until they find a price they are willing to pay.

    Comment


    • #3
      There are no "guidelines". We all make it up as we go along, and according to whatever the market will bear. You might have to lower your initial rates for some areas (e.g., Okinawa).

      Figure 4000 for 1 student.
      See if 2 students will each pay 3000. If not, go to 2500.
      For 3 students, see if 2000 is all right. That's dirt cheap for anyone. I wouldn't go much lower than that, and the size of the group is up to you, but I'd consider no more than six.

      Whatever you do, get paid a month in advance.

      Comment


      • #4
        Yes ! you tart and start with six & end up with one in a class , Hey I think I bung the stundebt for the works .

        Comment


        • #5
          180sx.Drifter's students are really lucky....

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by out-of-town
            I have been trying to find information about rates currently charged in the marketplace. I have been able to determine what is typically charged for one to one lessons. The range for what is commonly charged appears to be 2,500 yen to 5,000 yen per hour. Of course, some teachers charge less, and some charge more than the rates in that range. So far, I have not found much information about group rates. I know many teachers use a sliding scale system: the greater the number of students in a lesson, the less each student pays. However, I am not sure how much I should reduce the one to one rate for each student who wants to take lessons in a pair or group. For example, if the one to one rate is 4,000 yen per hour, what would be an appropriate rate for each student studying in a pair, in a group of three, in a group of four, and so on?

            I was wondering if anyone could provide or direct me to guidelines related to calculating rates for pairs or groups using a sliding scale system.

            Thank you.
            I donft understand why people think like this. Teaching English is a business, just like any other. Have you ever been to a business where the priced depends on how many other customers are there?

            Charge a flat monthly fee for group students like any other English school would. Even if you are not teaching in your own place and are using a coffee shop or some other temporary rental place it is more professional. Prepare envelops and give them out at the end of each month to be returned at the start of the next month with that months fee inside. Most schools charge less for little kids and increase the fee as the kids change from elementary to junior high up to adults.

            If there is only one student in your group class, you make less per hour. If you have more students in a class (I would recommend a maximum of 6 students if you are new to the field) you make more, simple as that. If students are calculating how much you are making there is something wrong. Base your monthly fee on what other teachers and schools charge in your area.

            Why anyone would charge only 2,000 yen an hour for a private lesson is beyond me. 5,000 yen an hour minimum. If you donft feel that you are a good enough teacher to charge 5,000 yen an hour for a private lesson you should look for another job.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by GonzoTeacher
              Why anyone would charge only 2,000 yen an hour for a private lesson is beyond me. 5,000 yen an hour minimum. If you don’t feel that you are a good enough teacher to charge 5,000 yen an hour for a private lesson you should look for another job.
              Although I agree about 2000 being too cheap for a private lesson, why any student would pay 5000 yen an hour is beyond me, so could you explain why your lessons could possibly be worth 5000 yen?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Moobies
                Although I agree about 2000 being too cheap for a private lesson, why any student would pay 5000 yen an hour is beyond me, so could you explain why your lessons could possibly be worth 5000 yen?
                I charge more than 5,000 yen an hour for a private lesson and have done so for many years.

                My lessons are worth that much to my students because I am an experienced English teacher, I can speak Japanese, I have a good reputation and I will be there to teach them for as long as they want to study.

                How much do private lessons cost at big English schools? It’s about the same price where I am. And the teachers have little or no experience, can’t speak Japanese, don’t have any kind of reputation and will be gone soon.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by GonzoTeacher
                  I charge more than 5,000 yen an hour for a private lesson and have done so for many years.

                  My lessons are worth that much to my students because I am an experienced English teacher, I can speak Japanese, I have a good reputation and I will be there to teach them for as long as they want to study.

                  How much do private lessons cost at big English schools? Itfs about the same price where I am. And the teachers have little or no experience, canft speak Japanese, donft have any kind of reputation and will be gone soon.
                  May I ask where you live? And also where you have your lessons?

                  I live in Hiroshima, and like you I have teaching experience, speak Japanese, and am here for the long term. I just can't charge my privates 5000 yen an hour because, no matter how good my lesson is, it's still a lesson in a coffee shop. So, I charge them 3000 yen.

                  Do you have them pay monthly, or after each lesson?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Flying_Dutchman
                    I will charge 500 yen less per student per hour as the number of students increases. e.g. 3,000 yen for one student, 2,500 yen each for two, 2,000 yen for 3 students and so on.
                    That way when you get to seven students, you're teaching the lesson for free. You'll have no problem getting students then!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Moobies
                      May I ask where you live? And also where you have your lessons?

                      I live in Hiroshima, and like you I have teaching experience, speak Japanese, and am here for the long term. I just can't charge my privates 5000 yen an hour because, no matter how good my lesson is, it's still a lesson in a coffee shop. So, I charge them 3000 yen.

                      Do you have them pay monthly, or after each lesson?
                      I am in an urban part of Kanto, everything is expensive around here. I teach group classes in a classroom in my house but for almost all of my privates I go to their houses to teach them. I ride a motorcycle or drive to the houses.

                      I think you can get away with charging 5,000 yen or more an hour if you are near Tokyo or maybe in Nagoya where the economy is strong. I don’t know the economic conditions there in Hiroshima but if I were you I would jack up the price to 4,000 yen an hour this winter and bite the bullet if anyone quits and then promote heavily until spring is over.

                      I don’t know if people would be willing to have you over to their homes in that area but that is a better way to go if you can wing it.

                      I give the students a choice of paying per lesson or at the start of the month. I make the price clear in my pamphlets and get alot of introduction so I don't have many problems with people saying it is too expensive.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks for the advice Gonzo. Most of my privates are individual classes with first or second year employees. 3000 doesn't seem rough for them, but when I started talking about charging 3500-4000, they sucked air through their teeth.

                        It sounds like you've got a great system. I want to get out of the coffee shops. Most of my students are looking for TOEIC prep, and coffee shops are ok for reading comprehension exercises and whatever residual benefit to listening that they may get from conversation, but I would love to have a room with a cd player and white board.

                        sorry for hijacking the thread OOT. I've had two group lessons: one was with a charity group and it was always 3000 for the hour no matter if 1 or 4 showed up, and the other was 1500 yen per person.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by GonzoTeacher

                          [COLOR=#000000]I think you can get away with charging 5,000 yen or more an hour if you are near Tokyo or maybe in Nagoya where the economy is strong.
                          Actually I think in Tokyo there are sooo many people teaching privates for 3000 or less (some of them semi-tourists). Try looking at senseisagasu.com in your area to get an idea of what the other teachers charge/look like/how old they are/what qualifications/experience they have.

                          On those sites I've moved my price back and forth between 3000 and 3500 yen and so far there's a flood of trial lesson requests whenever I lower my price to 3000 but no requests when I raise it back to 3500. It's kind of depressing knowing that people can basically charge 3000yen once they land at Narita, but 4 years later even with certification they can't charge more.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I only have 2 private lessons, but they both pay 5000 yen an hour. One of them does 1.5 hour lessons though, so I get 7500 for it. I charge that for the same reason that the other guy said - I have lots of experience teaching, I speak Japanese, and I have a good reputation.

                            I wont take any more privates for less than 6500 though. Anything less than that isn't worth the time it would take me to do it. I'd rather have spare time, and I already have enough money.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X