Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXTRA qualifications

Hi,

Im interested in doing an extra course such as a TEFL or Tesol or Celta but am confused about which one i should do and with what organisation. I am prepared to do it online and also want it to be recognised worldwide.

Does anyone out there have any recommedations for a course and which one would be the most useful?

Thanks.

If you are interested in teaching English in Japan, the mininum you need is a degree. However, if you did decide to do a online course i recommend TEFL simple because it is internationally recognized.

Comment

Originally posted by admiration08
      If you are interested in teaching English in Japan, the mininum you need is a degree. However, if you did decide to do a online course i recommend TEFL simple because it is internationally recognized.

TEFL is a generic name for teaching English as a Foreign Language. there is no one course that is 'internationally recognised' because it all depends on who is doing the recognising, the quality and 'name' of the course.

Online courses dont lend themselves to reliability as there is no supervision of taught lessons or teaching practicums. Simply write some papers and get your diploma. A good course should have at least 15 hours of practical teaching included.

Like most things you get what you pay for, though CELTA and Trinity Cambridge are pretty well respected. Expect to spend a couple of thousand dollars on doing a CELTA.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying_Dutchman
        TEFL is a generic name for teaching English as a Foreign Language.
        What are you talking about? Generic name? TEFL is an acronym. Where did you pull "generic name" from?

Do you talk like this to your students?

Comment

Originally posted by schizm
          What are you talking about? Generic name? TEFL is an acronym. Where did you pull "generic name" from?
          It is both an acronym and a generic name.

Comment

Do you talk like this to your students?

I know its an acronym, but TEFL is a general word to refer to the art and practice of teaching English to non native speakers. Just like ESL, EFL, ESOL etc. There is no one-size fits all qualification called TEFL certificate, You might have a TEFL certificate but it could be referring to anything from a weekend course to a full fledged 6 month diploma or a CELTA. .

BTW I dont talk like that to my students but if you knew anything about teaching it would be part of your lexicon when referring to your own profession. Do lawyers and doctors get so testy when using industry-jargon? Its only ESL teachers who seem to be so defensive.
            Last edited by Name Deleted; 2008-01-02, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Only "EFL Teachers" who do not have qualifications and are teaching in Eikaiwas are the ones that get offensive, FD.

Comment

That explains why Paul is often on the defensive

Comment

That explains why Paul is often on the defensive
                  Post Of The Day. Complimentary Captain Santa pullover in the post.

Enjoy!

ps, charges will be reflected in your monthly statement

Comment

Originally posted by admiration08
                    One is given through, Oxford Seminars (often at Universities across the U.S. and in N.America - runs around 895.00 U.S.

Another very good program is through St.Giles International (offers CELTA)

try

info@stgiles-usa.com

Comment

Working...
                    X